Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #11
glasseye

Thanked 1,662 Times in 889 Posts
Default Re: Frito's Bulkhead

It is a "Creation" window. Sourced directly from On High, I bought it from Doktor A on my visit to World Sprinter Headquarters.

As my old friend from Oz Bob Rose would say: "Fits like a finger in a bum". It is SO nice to have an open, screened window about six inches from my face on hot summer nights.

GulfSV, the bulkhead is for noise abatement, shelving and a place to anchor the bunk. Mainly noise, though.

Bulkhead templates cut and taped in place and vinyl front mat removed. Pix tomorrow.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.

Last edited by glasseye; 01-06-2011 at 05:20 AM.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
nicollet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasseye View Post
Check out the great job Theo did of ensuring a good matchup of the three sheets of tracing paper that he used to create the template.
You're welcome.
What a fantastic shop you have. Envy, envy, envy.....
tk
Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #13
glasseye

Cardboard intermediate templates cut and installed. A perfect fit first time, Theo.

Vinyl Floor removed. Some rust under there. Weird for a vehicle that was stored in Las Vegas for five years. Current plans are to coat the cab floor with several coats of "Quietcar" paint-on noise reduction goo, followed by a 1/8" layer of closed cell foam and then a 1/8" layer of 1 lb per square foot of mass loaded vinyl and then the original mat. If that doesn't quiet down Frito's cab noise, I dunno what will.

I'm considering re-locating the jack to gain more passenger foot room. The bulkhead on the passenger side restricts rearward seat positioning significantly.

These three torx screws are located right behind the driver's seat base. I can't figure out what they're for because they terminate under the fuel tank. Anybody know what they do? My bulkhead install will interfere with access to these.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,770 Times in 8,747 Posts

Quote:
Anybody know what they do? My bulkhead install will interfere with access to these.
I shouldn't answer this because as I was out in my cold garage today I thought of your toasty warm shop a few times.

Those fasteners are for a fire extinguisher bracket which has evidently been removed by someone previous to you. I think all the NAFTA cargo models had one there? Anyway, you can cover the screws.

Your bulkhead layout looks great!
vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 01-06-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
hkpierce
'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

Thanked 1,490 Times in 682 Posts

Quote:
Vinyl Floor removed. Some rust under there. Weird for a vehicle that was stored in Las Vegas for five years. Current plans are to coat the cab floor with several coats of "Quietcar" paint-on noise reduction goo, followed by a 1/8" layer of closed cell foam and then a 1/8" layer of 1 lb per square foot of mass loaded vinyl and then the original mat. If that doesn't quiet down Frito's cab noise, I dunno what will..
If it is goo, remember the passenger side floor gets quite warm from the exhaust system.

Quote:

These three torx screws are located right behind the driver's seat base. I can't figure out what they're for because they terminate under the fuel tank. Anybody know what they do? My bulkhead install will interfere with access to these.
Those are the bolts that hold the bracket for the optional emergency sign kit.
hkpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #16
glasseye

Thanks, guys. Out they come. Plug the holes.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #17
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,770 Times in 8,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkpierce View Post

Those are the bolts that hold the bracket for the optional emergency sign kit.
Oops... again for me. Mr. Pierce is correct as would be expected. I stuck my fire extinguisher in that bracket with a strap so I put that in the mix. I'm not conceding optional though, didn't most cargo models have them? vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #18
mackconsult

Mine didn't have it ...
08 Laser Pro #194171
Vancouver, Washington, USA

Sail Smart, Sail Hard, Then think about Sailing Fast !!!!!

http://www.mackconsult.com/

Some day I will sell everything, buy a cascade 36 or a cal 40 sailboat, and turn left at the Columbia River Bar !!!!
mackconsult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:33 AM   #19
glasseye

Mine had another bracket installed in the driver's footwell. It interfered with removing the plastic footwell insert, so off it came, too. I could see the other side of those bolts in the electrical bay under the seat, so I knew that whatever it was, it wasn't necessary. I thought that bracket was for the emergency triangle. Whatever was there is long gone.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:59 AM   #20
glasseye

I drilled out the steel rivets holding the jack mount to the floor and regained about 12 inches more "foot" room for the passenger.

I also cut out the relatively useless insulation that was hanging loosely against the firewall. I can do better than this.

A small drill dispatched the heads on the aluminum rivets and the flooring lifted right up.

Under the plywood flooring is a layer of what amounts to asphalt shingles. Approximately zero sound and thermal insulation value. Out it came.

So much for the "undo" part of the job. Now, the "do" part starts.

Here's DB's finish flooring material. What appears at the slider to be three-quarters thick Micarta is actually quarter inch plywood. No wonder these vehicles are so noisy when stock.

Some forensics. When delivered, Frito had an aftermarket rear bench seat. I removed it and plugged its mounting holes right through the flooring with silicone. When I pulled the floor, my plugs were still there, along with the drill chips from the original seat install. Check out the rust. And this from a desert vehicle.

Frito's a Canadian immigrant. When I pulled the floor, I found this dime, sole surviving evidence of his former life as an American. Look at that cruddy flooring. Anything I put down is going to be quieter than that.

Insulation materials arrive later this week.