Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:37 AM   #1
russinthecascades

Default Espar D2 fault code

I installed my D2 with high altitude kit and Easystart Select controller. When turned it on I got power to the controller, but nothing else happen - no fan, no sounds from the fuel metering pump. I get a flashing code looks like "n 5 i", meaning first symbol 3 side of the digital 8 and the last is the lower right section looking something like an i.

The only fault code manual I can find has 3 number code such as 000, 004 no partial sections. Any advice?
russinthecascades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #2
Sdavis
2014 144 HT

Default Re: Espar D2 fault code

I did not experience this exact error code, but I did have issues as a result of not completely insulating each of the un-used wires from the 10 wire bundle. Initially, I just bundled them together and taped them off. I would get an occasional 'no signal" error. Once I individually insulated each un-used wire, the error did not return.
Sdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,768 Times in 4,925 Posts

When the controller is turned on does it do a LCD test? If you enter the workshop menu, you can go to the LCD test function to see if all the segments work. When the controller powers on it should show INIT or similar. Does it do that? if not you likely have a faulty controller. I would double check the voltage at the control units red/brown wires just to be sure.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:38 AM   #4
TrucksMedicAided

It should only do that for a little bit, and then it should show you the temperature.
TrucksMedicAided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:23 PM   #5
Xcountry41

Help please!
Logged in to post this exact same plead for help about this exact same fault code and exact same symptoms with the, you guessed it, exact same equipment. D2 with altitude sensor, remote temp sensor, and easy start select controller. I get the "init" display then total silence and an "n5i" message . Did some searching and found a D2 fault code table that shows"005" as a "short circuit in control box, car alarm output" table says to disconnect connector S1/B1 at the heater says to check pin#15 which is not connected to any of the wires that end up in play for the install. Strange! Only thing I can add is that Ido not have an alarm.
Any help would me much appreciated.
Thanks, Gary
Xcountry41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #6
Gnarwhal

Same here this weekend while installing D2, HAK, and remote thermostat. That code I believe is a communications error according to the manual. The cause can be several things though. To start troubleshooting I took out the HAK and thermostat and it fired right up after 3 or 4 tries as the air in the fuel line purged. I re-installed just the HAK and got the generic “Err” code this time but the manual says that issue is on the heater side. Not sure if the 801 controller would help here but I would like to think so!
Gnarwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
rollerbearing

Thanked 1,154 Times in 789 Posts

Sounds like a wiring conflict.

Can you guys post up what wiring diagrams you used? There is this one on page 94 of:

https://esparparts.com/techsupport/p...schematics.pdf

For the 801 and Digimax contoller - the diagnostic (Blu/Wht) line needed to be switched between the controller and the HAK kit as only one device could be on it at a time. In the above schematic the (Blu/Wht) line of the HAK is now being connected to the (Blu/Wht) line of the Easy Start Select controller and the Violet line of the HAK is then connected to (Blu/Wht) line of the heater.

Also, useful information here:

https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk...control_2.html

Last edited by rollerbearing; 10-29-2018 at 10:02 PM.
rollerbearing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rollerbearing For This Useful Post:
Xcountry41 (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,768 Times in 4,925 Posts

It is also possible to mess up the wiring when crimping and putting them in the connector housings. So checking to for continuity while wiggling the plugs can be helpful.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
vanski
'05 Box Snow Camper

Here’s a correct WD with 801 controller, hak, and aux temp sensor I put together. Note: I taped off ALL the wires which going from the hak to the 801 as it was just cleaner and more simple for me to wire it that way. But, you can wire the red and yellow wires to the 801 as well.
vanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:20 PM   #10
Xcountry41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerbearing View Post
Sounds like a wiring conflict.

Can you guys post up what wiring diagrams you used? There is this one on page 94 of:

https://esparparts.com/techsupport/p...schematics.pdf

For the 801 and Digimax contoller - the diagnostic (Blu/Wht) line needed to be switched between the controller and the HAK kit as only one device could be on it at a time. In the above schematic the (Blu/Wht) line of the HAK is now being connected to the (Blu/Wht) line of the Easy Start Select controller and the Violet line of the HAK is then connected to (Blu/Wht) line of the heater.

Also, useful information here:

https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk...control_2.html
Thank you so much! The above wiring diagram was much better than the one from the HAK. It did not have a legend showing which run went to the controller vs to the heater. Consequently, I had the blue /white to blue/white vs the violet to blue /white connections mixed up. That, and a bad connection to the external temp sensor where the grey/ red taps in, that showed up once clear of the n5i code had me a little stressed. Using the brutal Espar supplied documentation was very frustrating. Fixed now and making heat!! Thanks to those that replied with clues that got me going!
Gary
Xcountry41 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xcountry41 For This Useful Post:
rollerbearing (10-30-2018)