Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Winnebago / Itasca

Winnebago / Itasca Itasca Navion, Winnebago View.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #11
israndy
2007 LTV Serenity

Default Re: End of the line for Via/Reyo

Yip that's what started this thread

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to israndy For This Useful Post:
az7000' (04-23-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 06:06 PM   #12
bobinmurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyeightkeys View Post
Dang. That's too bad. I really did like them quite a bit although someone dubbed them the plastic pig because of the extreme difficulty to service the engine.

I'm going out on a limb and say that the Via will return revamped in 2020 when the new Sprinter chassis will spark new, perhaps slightly larger, designs. I've read that there's supposed to be a Sprinter 4500 variant :-) on it's way.
That would be nice if the 4500 had higher cargo and towing capacity. I own a Sprinter based LTV Unity which I tow a 2rd Jeep Wrangler with. It does OK but my biggest complaint about all RV manufacturers is they all seem to build to the limits of the chassis, leaving very little cargo carrying capacity especially when towing. Given the way most RVers pack, that means a large percentage of RVs on the road are probably near or over their GCWR. It may be just me, but I'd love to see a small Class A like the Via that was diesel powered with some decent GCWR ratings. The Sprinter is OK, but a Ford E450 with a diesel or something comparable from Chevy or Dodge would be nice too, However, maybe there's only one customer for something like that.
bobinmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:53 PM   #13
eightyeightkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinmurphy View Post
The Sprinter is OK, but a Ford E450 with a diesel or something comparable from Chevy or Dodge would be nice too, However, maybe there's only one customer for something like that.
That's a good question bobinmurphy. How many customers are there for smaller (25' to 30' MAX !) coaches ? On our last trip to California, we have never seen as many Sprinter based RV's. They were well represented everywhere we went.

Alternatively, there's a Thor (ugh) Magnitude on the Ford Diesel chassis and the Dynamax Isata 5 on the Dodge RAM diesel chassis, but, at over 32' they're just too big for us. 25' is just a little too small and 32' is just too big...wer'e a foot or so from a diesel pusher length.

Goldilocks zone for us is 28' to 30'....room for a bedroom, a decent bathroom and a kitchen counter that you can at least cut a loaf of bread on without being half in the sink and half over a burner...lol...
eightyeightkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #14
israndy
2007 LTV Serenity

If you build on the Sprinter chassis it will never exceed 25'. You will also be at MAX CCC when you fill it with fluids and bodies. BUT you will get 18 MPG on the Class B+/C's and 22 MPG on the Class B's. If you want a weekend vehicle with a toad that can also be a daily driver, that's the one. Just balance what you carry for each trip to stay safely under CCC.

If you want a bigger vehicle, where do you stop? Do you want to sleep 4? 6? 8? Do you want a normal sized shower? Two? How about a normal sized refrigerator? Countertop space for food prep. Or an outside kitchen. Large propane tank for all that, perhaps a 30K BTU furnace. Generator big enough to run two A/C units. Three? Basement storage, lots. Should have closets for both of you. Maybe walk-in. Well, you are going to need laundry on board. Oh and a deck outside.

And THAT'S how I also ended up with a two-story, 40-foot Airstream for when the Sprinter is too small. Once I get the water ingress under control, I hope to use it for travel. If diesel would ever go back down in price. I guess inflation has come up to meet it, so it's really not THAT bad right now. Still, filling a 150-gallon fuel tank is harsh

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote