Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
nickbokhoven
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 20
Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default REDARC BCDC1240D vs Renogy DCC50S (DC-DC Chargers with MPPT)

I am fairly new to the forum and appreciate all the help offered by the community.

I have a VS30 that is in production and am planning on completing out the initial steps of the build myself.

I am planning on running a 100-150 AH LiFePO4 battery, located near the drivers side rear wheel inside the van. I will have 160W-200W of solar on the roof.

My question to this community - What are the thoughts on these two chargers head to head? I have read several of the threads on Redarc and note they have a following. I have also read some strong feelings against Renogy. If you were going to own the van for 10 years, which would you put in? The Renogy unit is +10 amps more than the allowable MB guidelines of 40A. The Renogy also offers trickle charge to the starter battery from the solar if it is required, while the Redarc does not. The Renogy is $130 less.

https://redarcelectronics.com/produc...attery-charger

https://www.renogy.com/dcc50s-12v-50...ger-with-mppt/
nickbokhoven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
john61ct
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,435
Thanks: 25
Thanked 340 Times in 290 Posts
Default Re: REDARC BCDC1240D vs Renogy DCC50S (DC-DC Chargers with MPPT)

Sterling BB series, up to 60A rating; I require user-custom adjustable setpoints.

Plus a dedicated solar controller, these add-on ones are sub-par.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
elemental
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: USA PNW
Posts: 357
Thanks: 154
Thanked 228 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: REDARC BCDC1240D vs Renogy DCC50S (DC-DC Chargers with MPPT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbokhoven View Post
My question to this community - What are the thoughts on these two chargers head to head? I have read several of the threads on Redarc and note they have a following. I have also read some strong feelings against Renogy. If you were going to own the van for 10 years, which would you put in? The Renogy unit is +10 amps more than the allowable MB guidelines of 40A. The Renogy also offers trickle charge to the starter battery from the solar if it is required, while the Redarc does not. The Renogy is $130 less.
I bought a RedArc as soon as they were available on the North American market this past January after a lot of armchair reading. Unfortunately, due to complications in my life I haven't gotten it installed yet and am still running off a Blue Sea Systems ACR. Despite my lack of experience this is the Internet, so I'll make a few comments:
  • I am going to own my van for 10+ years and I bought the RedArc unit. As soon as my complications are over, I will get it installed and be enjoying it.
  • I personally would not worry overmuch about a sometimes 50 amp draw over the claimed MB 40 amp limit, although I would double-check all wiring/fusing to satisfy myself of the ability to carry that load over the relevant wiring paths. As far as the vehicle electrical system goes there will be times when everything is maxed out and a 50 amp draw might be an issue then, but the alignment of a maximum draw from your DC-DC charger and a maximum draw from all other accessories is probably at least somewhat manageable on your part. If you think based on your loads etc. that it will be pulling 50 amps for long periods at a time, then maybe I'm an idiot on the Internet whose thoughts aren't worth spit.
  • The trickle charge to the starter battery is a very limited use case and would only be a differentiator for me if the other tradeoffs were balanced on a knife-edge. I doubt they are. I've set my system up so that I can join the house battery and starter battery together in a starting emergency, but don't expect to use it until/unless I start suffering from dementia and screw something up.
  • The price difference of $130 is virtually meaningless compared to all of the other cost factors involved, especially over a 10+ year operational lifetime. Yes, don't waste money foolishly and don't toss around $100 bills, but for such a critical component in your overall van build the $$ difference relative to cost is a noise factor not a differentiator.

Good luck with your choice!
__________________
--
2017 Sprinter 2500 170 Crew OM642 5-speed auto with Adventure Wagon interior&MOAB
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
marklg
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Arizona Desert
Posts: 676
Thanks: 119
Thanked 269 Times in 214 Posts
Default Re: REDARC BCDC1240D vs Renogy DCC50S (DC-DC Chargers with MPPT)

One thing to really consider is failures. They will happen, and by Murphy's law, you will be as far from home and replacement parts as possible. If you have an all in one charger / solar controller, you will lose both methods of charging.

On the other hand, if you have a separate B2B charger and solar charge controller, if one fails, you can charge with the other.

I've had 12V wiring fail. I jumpered the fridge control power to a lighting circuit in a Home Depot parking lot to get that going.

I had a piece of Romex that never should have been used in the 120V system short out. I got around that with an extension cord ran out an access panel. Hint: keep a big yellow 15A 100 ft extension cord with you.

I actually have three methods of charging my batteries, solar, B2B and a shore power charger. That is combined with the inverter because the previous owner did that, but I have a spare charger that can be plugged in too.

Redundancy in a camper is your friend. It will turn a disaster into merely an annoyance.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marklg For This Useful Post:
nickbokhoven (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
nickbokhoven
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 20
Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: REDARC BCDC1240D vs Renogy DCC50S (DC-DC Chargers with MPPT)

I appreciate the replies. I didn’t consider the redundancy factor. I was blinded by the reduction in parts, wiring and ability to cram a solar and b2b system into a smaller footprint. If any one has real life experience with the Redarc I would love to hear too.
nickbokhoven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #6
jostalli
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 571
Thanks: 38
Thanked 189 Times in 136 Posts
Default Re: REDARC BCDC1240D vs Renogy DCC50S (DC-DC Chargers with MPPT)

If you are going to own the van 10 years or one year I would choose a brand with the best reputation for quality. In your case I would recommend the following two products:
Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15
Victron Cyrix-Li-ct 12/24-120

You don't need anything else to satisfy your requirements.
__________________
Master Overland
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #7
HarryN
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Posts: 2,409
Thanks: 555
Thanked 769 Times in 629 Posts
Default Re: REDARC BCDC1240D vs Renogy DCC50S (DC-DC Chargers with MPPT)

You didn't ask, but will throw this out there.


Usually it takes about 3-400 watts of solar to consistently power the basics, such as a fridge, etc

If you can double your battery and solar numbers, I think that you will be happier.


Harry
__________________
Auxiliary Power for conversion vans

Instagram WirlNet

web store https://squareup.com/store/wirlnet-com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:25 PM   #8
elemental
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: USA PNW
Posts: 357
Thanks: 154
Thanked 228 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: REDARC BCDC1240D vs Renogy DCC50S (DC-DC Chargers with MPPT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklg View Post
One thing to really consider is failures. They will happen, and by Murphy's law, you will be as far from home and replacement parts as possible. If you have an all in one charger / solar controller, you will lose both methods of charging.

On the other hand, if you have a separate B2B charger and solar charge controller, if one fails, you can charge with the other.
I agree with redundancy. The wiring I'm putting in place supports charging through the RedArc unit OR direct from the vehicle's electrical system through my existing Blue Sea Systems ACR (in the event that the RedArc unit fails). I'm also mounting the RedArc unit in an easily accessible location, and it uses just two connectors (one for AC power, one for all other connections) that can easily be removed from one unit and attached to another. My ability to charge directly off of the vehicle should get me by long enough to either get the RedArc unit fixed or replaced.

The use of multiple individual charge controllers for each power source was tempting and my original approach, but I could not find an explanation for how to maintain a proper charge profile (to maximize battery charge/discharge cycle lifetime) on my AGM house battery when I have multiple charge sources simultaneously charging it. Which is one of the reasons I selected the RedArc product. Victron wouldn't enlighten me whether my concern was valid, just pointed me at AM Solar. AM Solar just wanted to sell me a system, not answer the questions I was raising.

Maybe it is a moot point, maybe not, but when I'm traveling I'll generally have vehicle and solar as simultaneous sources, and at many parking locations I'll have shore power and solar as simultaneous sources. How do I maintain a correct charge profile if the individual chargers are not coordinated in some fashion?
__________________
--
2017 Sprinter 2500 170 Crew OM642 5-speed auto with Adventure Wagon interior&MOAB
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:59 AM   #9
marklg
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Arizona Desert
Posts: 676
Thanks: 119
Thanked 269 Times in 214 Posts
Default Re: REDARC BCDC1240D vs Renogy DCC50S (DC-DC Chargers with MPPT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
I agree with redundancy. The wiring I'm putting in place supports charging through the RedArc unit OR direct from the vehicle's electrical system through my existing Blue Sea Systems ACR (in the event that the RedArc unit fails). I'm also mounting the RedArc unit in an easily accessible location, and it uses just two connectors (one for AC power, one for all other connections) that can easily be removed from one unit and attached to another. My ability to charge directly off of the vehicle should get me by long enough to either get the RedArc unit fixed or replaced.

The use of multiple individual charge controllers for each power source was tempting and my original approach, but I could not find an explanation for how to maintain a proper charge profile (to maximize battery charge/discharge cycle lifetime) on my AGM house battery when I have multiple charge sources simultaneously charging it. Which is one of the reasons I selected the RedArc product. Victron wouldn't enlighten me whether my concern was valid, just pointed me at AM Solar. AM Solar just wanted to sell me a system, not answer the questions I was raising.

Maybe it is a moot point, maybe not, but when I'm traveling I'll generally have vehicle and solar as simultaneous sources, and at many parking locations I'll have shore power and solar as simultaneous sources. How do I maintain a correct charge profile if the individual chargers are not coordinated in some fashion?
The battery voltage provides the coordination. If the battery is near full and the voltage rises, they will all back off charging. Assuming they have the right setpoints, they will all stop at about the same voltage. With tolerances, one source still be charging the last bit while the other source will have shut off. For lead acid with absorption, there may be some inefficiencies, but I think the voltage will eventually rise and shut off all charging. For my LiFePO4 batteries, with the right setpoints, they get up to 99% and go to standby, no matter what is charging them. Everything just works. I have shore power, solar and B2B and they all play together.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marklg For This Useful Post:
elemental (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
Skippy and Emu
 
Skippy and Emu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pingelly Western Australia
Posts: 226
Thanks: 185
Thanked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Default Re: REDARC BCDC1240D vs Renogy DCC50S (DC-DC Chargers with MPPT)

My Redarc BCDC1240, has been performing faultlessly now for 7 years. It is one of the early ones, which required a separate relay, to switch between alternator or solar input. I mounted the unit on the side of the Drivers seat pedestal, forward of the handbrake. This keeps it cool, and I can glance down whilst driving, to check the charging satus. The solar input is, roof mounted 480W rigid panels, charging 2 x 100AH Gel AGM batteries. I have a 10A CTEK unit for mains charging. There has never been a conflict using multiple charging sources at the same time. For redundancy, I have another totally separate system. 1 x Baintech Powertop 100AH Gel AGM, and a 100W flexible solar panel. The Baintech is designed as a standalone, portable system, and incorporates it's own inbuilt DC, Solar and Mains charging systems. Just waiting for the main system Gels, to eventually die, then I'll upgrade to Lithium.
__________________
2003 313cdi MWB, High Roof, Manual, ECB Bullbar, Windows all around, Rear Aircon, Swivel Passenger seat, 580 watts solar, 150 amp alternator, Fiamma f45s, Carr Mega Step, Chinese 2kw diesel heater, 227000 kms.
Skippy and Emu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skippy and Emu For This Useful Post:
elemental (09-20-2019), nickbokhoven (09-20-2019)

Tags
charging, electrical, solar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.