Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #1
marklg

Default Shower Control Recommendations

We have existing, probably inexpensive, shower faucets our Great West built RV. The shower head includes a shutoff so water isn't wasted. Problem is, when the shower head control is shut off, the faucets seem to change, so when the shower head control is turned back on, you get scalded and have to waste water to readjust the temperature.

Are there faucets that don't do this?

Regards,

Mark
marklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #2
Shawn182

Default Re: Shower Control Recommendations

Oxygenics Shower Head...don't need to change your faucet.

Problem is not your valves...when you shut off the water at the head the water pump stops and can depressurize the system. When it kicks back on it can disproportionally pump through more hot water than cold depending on how your system is plumbed, the faucet valves have not changed.

The Oxygenics shower head...in addition to being a great low flow shower head...allows a continuous trickle in the shower head "off" position to prevent the water system from depressurizing then surging. Common problem in the RV world.

There are a few different finishes available. I am bit of a shower pressure diva and love mine.

https://www.amazon.com/ETL-26181-Pla...gateway&sr=8-1

Last edited by Shawn182; 09-18-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Shawn182 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:09 AM   #3
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn182 View Post
Oxygenics Shower Head...don't need to change your faucet.

Problem is not your valves...when you shut off the water at the head the water pump stops and can depressurize the system. When it kicks back on it can disproportionally pump through more hot water than cold depending on how your system is plumbed, the faucet valves have not changed.

The Oxygenics shower head...in addition to being a great low flow shower head...allows a continuous trickle in the shower head "off" position to prevent the water system from depressurizing then surging. Common problem in the RV world.
Your diagnosis of OP's issue is very likely correct, but the description of the underlying mechanism isn't quite right. It is not a matter of the system depressurizing (if that happened, the pump would just turn back on). Rather, when you turn the water off at the faucet with the valves still open, the hot and cold loops are directly connected to each other. There tends to be slightly higher pressure on the hot water side (due to the heater causing the warming water to expand). This, in turn, forces hot water into the cold side of the system. When you turn on the shower under these conditions, hot water is forced out of both sides, meaning that there is no cold water available to temper the overly hot water from the heater.

You are correct that most RV shower wands with on/off buttons intentionally dribble in order to provide pressure relief. Many people think that this is a fault, but as you say, it is a deliberate safety feature.

A better solution is to install a tempering valve downstream of the hot water heater. You then adjust the hot water to the proper temperature without ever turning on the cold. This is both safer and also saves water, since no water is wasted adjusting the temperature. I don't know how old OP's GWV van is, but mine came with a tempering valve. If yours is the style with the Espar-based on-demand flash-plate hot water heater, you probably have one, too. If so, simply adjust it to the proper temperature and stop using the cold valve.

Last edited by avanti; 09-19-2019 at 03:58 AM.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:22 AM   #4
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 4,720 Times in 2,672 Posts

Another choice is to heat shower water to the desired shower water temperature. Then no mixing is required. This works if you do not want hot water at another location.

Web Site: http://ortontransit.info

U-Tube Video: https://youtu.be/h5L6TZdy_y0
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:56 AM   #5
marklg

The shower head valve does dribble, probably due to wear rather than by design. That is not effective. We don't have the on demand hot water. It's a standard hot water heater with about a 2 gallon tank. The hot water is used for the two sinks.

Can the "tempering valve" be placed in the shower hot / cold water line alone, assuming they are split off or I can split them off? Any recommendations on a specific one?

Mark
Old 09-19-2019, 04:09 AM   #6
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklg View Post
The shower head valve does dribble, probably due to wear rather than by design. That is not effective. We don't have the on demand hot water. It's a standard hot water heater with about a 2 gallon tank. The hot water is used for the two sinks.

Can the "tempering valve" be placed in the shower hot / cold water line alone, assuming they are split off or I can split them off? Any recommendations on a specific one?
I don't see why you couldn't put it anywhere after the HW heater.

They are often required by code these days, so they are a standard plumbing item. Here's one random example:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermostatic-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to avanti For This Useful Post:
OffroadHamster (09-19-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
ThomD

The Fit RV dealt with this very issue. I don't remember how they fixed the dribble, but they used a check valve to prevent back flow on the cold line.

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how...our-rv-shower/
ThomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
OffroadHamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklg View Post
We have existing, probably inexpensive, shower faucets our Great West built RV. The shower head includes a shutoff so water isn't wasted. Problem is, when the shower head control is shut off, the faucets seem to change, so when the shower head control is turned back on, you get scalded and have to waste water to readjust the temperature.

Are there faucets that don't do this?

Regards,

Mark
Put a thermostatic mixing valve in your hot water line. It will limit the hot water temperature. You can set it to you preferred hot temp and then only turn on the hot water and get the temp you want all the time without using the faucet to mix the proportions.

Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Thermostatic-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

EDIT: Crap, avanti beat me to it...
OffroadHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,661 Times in 4,206 Posts

Another option that fixes this for many, is to put a check valve on the cold water line. This prevents hot water from working its way back down the cold side.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #10
marklg

I am tending toward the thermostatic valve for the shower. The shower valves are hard to set the temperature on anyway, and there is no desire to ever take a cold shower, so I don't see a downside. That is the least water wasting solution too. For the tanks we have, we get four showers and two dish washings if we are frugal with water use. That is two days of boondocking. Adjusting the shower temperature can waste a lot of water. I've seen the water used by a shower vary over 2:1 depending on how much fiddling had to be done.

Our goal is having the least fiddling during a trip and actually enjoying where we are, rather than messing with the camper. There is value in that.

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to marklg For This Useful Post:
mikecol (09-21-2019)