Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #51
BASE957

Default Re: Hardwire a permanent extension cord to inverter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerbearing View Post
You are going to wire this upstream of you existing ATS.

Take lots of photos before, during, and after - then you can go backwards if needed.

Disconnect the shore power from your existing(old) ATS and place those connections on the new ATS in exactly the same spots.

Following the PD manual connect the inverter extension cord stub to the "generator" connections on the new ATS per the PD manual.

Connect the output of the new ATS to where the shore power connections originally were on the old ATS.

You won't be doing anything to the original generator connections on the old ATS, or the ouput connections of the old ATS.

Be sure and carry the shore power ground all the way through both ATS.

I'm going to follow rollerbearing's suggestion. It's basically what I was after from the beginning. Switching between three sources. I didn't think I could squeeze another ATS in my only "electrical/plumbing" area but I figured it out. Got a 2nd ATS coming in the mail and will wire it as described above. Seems like it will accomplish my end goal. If you read about a Sprinter camper van blowing up or you happen to see a white 2005 Vista Cruiser rolling down the highway with flames coming out the windows then my wiring job was not a success

Hopefully if someone else comes up with a "black death-hot plug" idea similar to mine they will stumble across this thread and think twice. I posted because I know there are folks out there with LOTS more experience than myself.
BASE957 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BASE957 For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (09-14-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 11:17 PM   #52
elemental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Not to pick nits, but there definitely are NEC standards for exposed energized conductors in distribution substations.

I do agree that there are not any NEC rules that allow exposed current carrying conductors for residential type wiring methods and particularly cord connected equipment.

vic
I stand corrected - my apologies. I was thinking too narrowly/spoke too broadly.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:32 AM   #53
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,957 Times in 8,871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
I stand corrected - my apologies. I was thinking too narrowly/spoke too broadly.

No big deal. I probably should have just let it stay on topic with the safety issues which you pointed out.

At least it appears that a better solution is now being considered vs what could have be installed.

Carry on.
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 03:04 AM   #54
Geriakt
2017 View 24J

I have a 2017 Winnebago View and the OEM is set up is the 30 amp shore power male plug cord is connected to the 110-120 VAC breaker box. The 30 amp 3600 watt generator is connected to a 30 female plug in a outlet box. You either plug the shore power plug into the RV park electrical box or into the generator outlet located in the shore power cord storage box. It is a human powered ATS. The OEM 1000 watt Xantrex inverter is connected to a few 110 outlets in the RV which also connect to the breaker box.
I have since changed this with the installation of a Victron Multiplus 24/3000 inverter/charger. Now the incoming shore power connected directly to AC input on the inverter and the AC1 out runs to the 30 amp breaker at the breaker box power station. Now all my outlets are powered by the inverter. When I want to use my generator I plug the shore power cord into the generator female outlet.
Geriakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:13 PM   #55
BASE957

@Geriakt: this is similar to what I want to accomplish. Run my Entire AC side from inverter not just an outlet or two (or an extension cord plugged into front of inverter). I don’t have a “built in” shore power cord so I was trying to come up with a way to wire in a “permanent shore power” cord. Consensus was to add a manual switch or install another ATS. I’m going to shoot for the 2nd ATS and hope it works out!!
Old 09-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #56
rollerbearing

When your wiring is done and BEFORE you plug the new extension cord into the inverter it would be best if you check that there is never any power applied to the cord by the other sources.

To do this safely so that you aren't holding meter probes etc to an accidentally live male plug I suggest you do the following:

1) Get a multi outlet power strip.

2) Plug the power strip into the wall and plug a lamp into the power strip

3) Make sure the lamp is on

4) UNPLUG THE POWER STRIP FROM THE WALL!!!!!!

5) Tape up the power strip plug very well with electrical tape.

Now you have your tester. Plug the new inverter extension cord into this power strip (with the lamp still plugged in and ON). Cycle through all the combinations of shore power and generator power that you can come up with. Make sure that the light never is turned on - even for the briefest of flashes.

Last edited by rollerbearing; 09-16-2019 at 04:32 PM.
rollerbearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #57
Geriakt
2017 View 24J

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASE957 View Post
@Geriakt: this is similar to what I want to accomplish. Run my Entire AC side from inverter not just an outlet or two (or an extension cord plugged into front of inverter). I don’t have a “built in” shore power cord so I was trying to come up with a way to wire in a “permanent shore power” cord. Consensus was to add a manual switch or install another ATS. I’m going to shoot for the 2nd ATS and hope it works out!!
My Multiplus 24/3000 inverter has its own built in transfer switch so there is never a back feed to the plug. When the 30 amp male plug on a 20 ft extension cord is not connected to shore power it is then plugged into the house generator female plug and all I have to do is fire up the generator.
Yes if your inverter does not have a automatic transfer switch you may have to be careful about back feed.
Geriakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:25 AM   #58
BASE957

Just a followup to this thread in case someone comes along in the future searching for a similar situation. I purchased another Progressive Dynamics ATS and followed rollerbearing's wiring instructions. I have it set up so switching between the three sources (shore/gen/inverter) is a snap!! I tested the inverter male plug for any back feed while running shore and gen and so far I get nothing. I spent last weekend boondocking and fired up the microwave twice, watched three DVDs, had the frig running for 48 hours straight, and had the furnace running on/off all weekend (blower motor runs off DC). There was never any sun due to rain so I did have to turn gen on briefly on the last day to run the MW.

So moral of this story is, don't try some crazy idea like I had because it's a faster/easy/cheaper way to get it done. Safety should be #1. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0309.jpg (81.9 KB, 14 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BASE957 For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (10-01-2019), rollerbearing (10-01-2019)