Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #101
Shortiez

Default Re: T21 Recall for OM647s - Recommended Dealerships

Just following up about Chrysler Dodge Ram in Walnut Creek CA.

Dodge finally replied back to the dealerships' assertion that the trouble code (o2 sensor) was under the recall after over ~13 buisness days, but literally 10 seconds before I'd gone down to the dealership and was about to swiped my credit card to pay for the part to fix it. I'd leaned on the warranty advisor a couple of times and she finally re-requested via email to Dodge on a Monday and by Wednesday they replied in the affirmative.

So lessons learned:
1) Walnut Creek Dodge I'd say is okay for doing this T21 thing. Maybe not experts... but they seem to be taking direction from factory engineers anyway. There were several other T1Ns in the lot, some seemed to be ther at least as long as mine was, which was over 2 weeks.
2) If Dodge says something isn't covered, it can help to lean on them some to ask again... but it might take some time. My dealership has a list of trouble codes that might be causes by the T21 update, and thus should be paid for by Dodge.

Got my van back and no CEL yet, although I'm not driving it much. Maybe 50 miles so far, but that'd be enough for the other two CELs I had. It might be running a little smoother too from when it had an O2 sensor code. Last trip I got 23mpg on a tank. Will like to see if that improves.
Two other MBZ products: a 2002 W210 and a 2004 W211
Shortiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #102
vanski
'05 Box Snow Camper

just seeing this re Walnut Creek C/D/R.. I've taken a previous 2005 Sprinter to them and all it took was the firmware update. It was a good experience. TODAY, as in an hour ago, I dropped off a 2004 with them which I'm actively restoring (hasn't started since 2011 and I got it started mid last week for the first time since then). From my research ALL 2004s need new Instrument Clusters.

What I don't understand is the fact there's a lot of data out there which show the need for various parts and these dealerships not only will not keep them on hand, but also will refuse to order a part which is known to be needed given the VIN until the vehicle shows the problematic symptoms.. In my case I know this 2004 will need a new instrument cluster. So even though the data is out there, they refuse to order up the IC and they're telling me 'if' it needs a new IC (it will need a new IC, in this case you really should follow the old adage the customer is right!) it will take 2-3 weeks to get the part!!!!

Anywho.. happy they got the 2005 through a while back and here's to being optimistic they will quickly come to the realization it needs an new IC and that it won't take 2-3 weeks to get in.

Has anyone had any luck in getting the dealership to allow you to take the vehicle back until they get the IC in?
vanski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vanski For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (09-11-2019)
Old 09-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #103
Shortiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanski View Post
Has anyone had any luck in getting the dealership to allow you to take the vehicle back until they get the IC in?
My service manager was Jose and he did offer that I could pick up the van and use it while the service was happening. I didn't do it, but I'd guess you'll have no problem there.
Two other MBZ products: a 2002 W210 and a 2004 W211
Shortiez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shortiez For This Useful Post:
vanski (09-15-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #104
vanski
'05 Box Snow Camper

Thanks Shortiez..

This was my second experience going through a t21 recall with WC C/D/R. The last was with a 2005.. That went pretty smoothly even with needing a new MAF. I had also gone through the t21 recall on another 2005 with Hilltop Dodge in Richmond CA. That was kind of a cluster F experience.

This experience with the 2004 was probably a 7/10..

I received the call the t21 was complete and that a new instrument cluster was not needed. I happened to be free at the moment and hopped in the car armed with a multimeter to verify the battery was not being drained. Jose was very accommodating to let me go ahead and verify.. Sure enough, when I popped the hood I could hear the EGR motor was engaged and the battery was sitting at 11.8V where I had never seen it below 12.4V. Went back and communicated my findings and Jose said his team would look into it. He was very short with me and he didn't like me communicating what was going on with the vehicle in front of other customers at the service desk. I get it...

Got a call later that afternoon before they closed that they verified the IC needed to be replaced and there as a 2-3 week wait to get a new one, BUT, there was someone in San Jose who opted not to get a new IC as part of the recall for their 2004 and potentially they'd have one tomorrow (Thursday) and get it installed then. They did get the IC in on Thursday but didn't get the chance to install it. That's fine, I get they're a busy shop... No call on Friday.. I called Saturday and it was finished.

- A grading on leveraging their dealership network to track down the needed part in short order
- C+/B- grading on communication through the process
- A grading to the desk people who were able to get me the vehicle and necessary t21 recall paperwork 10 mins before closing on a Saturday.
- F grading on listening to your client
- F grading on following through and doing proper post ECM firmware update testing per known issues between the ECM and the IC, especially on 2004s

Overall, I'd say they are as good as anyone in the SFBA (better than Hilltop in my opinion since I've used them both for this t21 update). But there again, if I would have taken the service managers word that the recall was complete, went and picked it up without verifying the work, most likely I would have missed out on that IC and I'd still be a couple weeks out minimum in getting the vehicle back.

verify these folk's work!

Now I have another 2005 to get done, but, for some reason the re-registration paperwork doesn't mention the recall. Could this be because it's registered as an RV in CA?
Old 09-16-2019, 03:43 AM   #105
GaryJ
Gary

Quote: vanski: Now I have another 2005 to get done, but, for some reason the re-registration paperwork doesn't mention the recall. Could this be because it's registered as an RV in CA?

Nope. I have a T1N cargo and a T1N that’s registered as an RV and both required the T21 here in CA for registration.

Gary
Old 09-16-2019, 02:38 PM   #106
vanski
'05 Box Snow Camper

Figured that was the case.. I thought it would have been stated on my reg renewal notice. Wouldn’t have been the first time I’ve seen mistakes from the dmv.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:35 PM   #107
vanski
'05 Box Snow Camper

And... went into the DMV to take the 2004 off non-op and put it in the road for the firs time in over 9 years... DMV agent handed me back the salmon colored T21 recall slip and stated ‘we don’t need that any longer’, but keep it for your records.. hmmmmm
Old 09-23-2019, 04:32 AM   #108
SkyGypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanski View Post
And... went into the DMV to take the 2004 off non-op and put it in the road for the firs time in over 9 years... DMV agent handed me back the salmon colored T21 recall slip and stated ‘we don’t need that any longer’, but keep it for your records.. hmmmmm
Hmm, I went to the DMV this week and they said there was a note that I needed the T21 recall at one point, but I should take it in just in case it's required again since I have to go back to the dmv to finish the registration process when I come in next time, and they don't want that to hold me up. It's got me wondering about this. Would rather not do it if unnecessary!
Old 09-23-2019, 04:53 AM   #109
HighPockets

The Dodge dealer in Minden, Louisiana did mine after the Dodge dealers in Monroe and Ruston refused and the M-D dealer in Shreveport said they couldn't because it wasn't listed in their recalls. The Dodge dealer in Minden said they had received a call from M-B asking them to help out.

Gene
Old 09-23-2019, 05:34 AM   #110
vanski
'05 Box Snow Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyGypsy View Post
Hmm, I went to the DMV this week and they said there was a note that I needed the T21 recall at one point, but I should take it in just in case it's required again since I have to go back to the dmv to finish the registration process when I come in next time, and they don't want that to hold me up. It's got me wondering about this. Would rather not do it if unnecessary!
I had two Sprinters I was registering, one which already had the recall completed, the other I had to come back for after getting it started and getting the smog done. Although I didn’t get the second registered on that first trip, they did start the process. Perhaps the person at the dmv accidentally notated both vehicles as being completed.?.? Although when I left she gave me a printout showing t21 was required to finish registration in CA. With the first one they definitely took the salmon colored recall proof of correction and filed it. The second they handed it back to me and said it wasn’t needed but that I should keep if for my records. And now I have another I need to renew with smog cert but the renewal notice doesn’t say anything about the recall.

I will not hypothesize the inner workings of Ca dmv...