Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:43 AM   #21
vavaroutsos

Default Re: Trying to find the courage to do a 170WB build

@Wirelessness, go buy your van and get started. If there's something you can't do, you can always farm it out. I would go with a platform bed in back and a Scopema RIB Altair 3p seat. Start from a cargo van (unless passenger registration is a must). My build (in progress) is fully modular, but has some of these features. I have a RIB seat if you want to check it out, and can help you source one. I can also help with other issues if you need.
Wirelessness (04-13-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 04:52 AM   #22
Wirelessness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavaroutsos View Post
@Wirelessness, go buy your van and get started. If there's something you can't do, you can always farm it out. I would go with a platform bed in back and a Scopema RIB Altair 3p seat. Start from a cargo van (unless passenger registration is a must). My build (in progress) is fully modular, but has some of these features. I have a RIB seat if you want to check it out, and can help you source one. I can also help with other issues if you need.
Iím interested in checking that out for sure. Do you have any photos? I didnít see a build thread in your profile.

Iím trying to understand how the Rock and Roll RIB beds would work. Iím planning to start with a Crew Van because I need seating on Day One. I figured the galley and or other cabinets would go behind the crew seat in front of the raised bed. Can you still unfold the rib bed with cabinets like that?
Wirelessness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:19 AM   #23
vavaroutsos

No build thread, barely have time to work on the build. Ken (Asimba2) has a RIB seat and a build thread as well as a youtube channel. The RIB seats come in various widths, so it's pretty easy to get one that will fit next to cabinets. I'll be around this weekend if you want to see the seat (PM me).

I started with a crew for several reasons and the only two that were worth it were passenger registration, and no disassembly/reassembly to avoid chicken tax. My crew seat is available, so if you order the passenger floor option on the cargo you could bolt it right in. However, you won't be able to meet all your goals with a fixed crew seat, so understand it will be a short term solution.
Wirelessness (04-13-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 02:21 AM   #24
pbansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomD View Post
Oh, NOW everyone admits that everything takes 4 times longer than expected.

(I'm glad it isn't just me.)

This is so true! The Sprinter conversion has been a retirement project for me. I bought a used Sprinter that had had a "light" Sportsmobile conversion (wheelchair van) done on it some years before. I took out almost all of the Sportsmobile work (about all I retained was the battery box under the body and some of the electrical hardware) and started over, insulating, fabricating and installing interior ceiling and wall panels and doing all of the camper conversion fabrication and installation. I sourced the platform bed parts from Overland Sprinters and I'm in the throes of building cabinets using 80/20. It's going well, but nothing happens quickly and I have pretty much unlimited time to devote to the project (although I don't have unlimited patience). It's been a lot of fun (mostly) and has allowed me to utilize skills gained over many years, so it's been rewarding as well. If I was a young dad, I don't know how I'd find the time to do a project of this scope, frankly, but I'd have more energy, endurance and flexibility than I have as a 62 year old.

If you're going to use the rig as a camper, you can kind of build it as you go, using the van as transportation and a freighter as you build the conversion (like buy a tent for the kids to sleep in while you and your partner sleep on a bed in the Sprinter...). If you have decent skills and time to apply them, you can definitely do the work.

Good vendors are a must - I bought a ton of stuff from Amazon, sourced the 80/20 extrusion from Grainger (no shipping to get it to your local store for pickup) and the UPS guy delivers a couple of boxes a week from McMaster-Carr with hardware of various descriptions. If you plan on everything taking a lot longer than you figure, you won't be disappointed. If the family can enjoy adventures in the van while you're building it, you'll be a hero on a regular basis.

Good luck! (now get started!)
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pbansen For This Useful Post:
Wirelessness (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 02:38 AM   #25
Wirelessness

Thanks for all of the replies. I am still on the fence about taking on the build. If I could just commit to making the purchase I'm sure I would figure it out from there.

I think part of what is holding me back now is I'm second guessing this notion that having this ultra flexible camper van will somehow change my life for the better. I have this vision that it will transform my family into National Park hopping adventurers when school is out and or weekend boondocking warriors. We do a small amount of that now but not nearly enough in my mind. In all honesty I have this overwhelming feeling that we NEED a change like this and I can't think of anything better.
Wirelessness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #26
Rapport

15 years ago I built a street rod from scratch. I learned to weld, do body work, upholstery and mechanical. used mostly books. Tremendously satisfying when done. Today you have the internet and youtube and the resources of this tremendous sprinter forum. By the sprinter and get started and never look back.

My Sprinter van will be here June 1st. Brown santa comes up the driveway a couple times a week with parts for the build....excited
Rapport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rapport For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #27
NNGVan
2008 3500 Custom Uplift

I've seen this done.

Basically the back doors are covered and no longer used for access. I'd get the 170 EXT if you can find one. Parents sleep on the bottom, kids have "tubes" the climb up and in. I'd trying to find the link for the photos and will update if I do.

https://www.treehugger.com/tiny-hous...motorhome.html
Broken: Needed brakes, tires, calibers, lower control arms, crushed pumpkin, abs, CEL, DPF, swirl valves, EGR bad flow?

Current:
Fixed: New brakes, tires, calibers, lower control arms and bearings, pumpkin, CEL off (Missing DPF pervious owner Green tune delete), New swirl valves, EGR codes just disappeared after fresh wipe.
WIP: ABS / ESP / Brake LIGHT
NNGVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NNGVan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #28
dttocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirelessness View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I am still on the fence about taking on the build. If I could just commit to making the purchase I'm sure I would figure it out from there.

I think part of what is holding me back now is I'm second guessing this notion that having this ultra flexible camper van will somehow change my life for the better. I have this vision that it will transform my family into National Park hopping adventurers when school is out and or weekend boondocking warriors. We do a small amount of that now but not nearly enough in my mind. In all honesty I have this overwhelming feeling that we NEED a change like this and I can't think of anything better.
I think taking on a van build is something to do if you think youíll enjoy the build process, not just enjoy the end product. As others have said, this is a real time sink. Iím finding that we are getting out in the wild _less_ right now, because building out the van is sucking up spare time. I donít want to discourage you, because in my mind itís a great project, and could be something your kids could participate in too, but know what youíre getting into. (Also depends on your kids and their interests of course)

Hereís a promaster build with raised hammocks and a fold down bed. Wonít give you a garage, but if you can park the bikes outside while sleeping it could give you room for both. This was custom welded, so requires some skill or hiring someone.

As for a mobile office, thatís something Iím working on too - could be as simple as a swivel seat and a fold-down table, but it depends what you want/need - do you require multiple monitors in order to work efficiently?
dttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dttocs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #29
Zoomyn

http://www.thismovinghouse.co.uk/ <--- gentleman did some neat modifications to please his kids...

I'm at the analysis paralysis stage too, good luck with rolling the dice :)
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomyn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #30
Zundfolge
1-2-4-5-3

I just have to say that I have restored a small amount of self worth and confidence in myself knowing that a mechanical engineer with a Ph.D. ALSO takes 2-3x longer than planned to do this stuff...

Thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiverkiller View Post
x2

I am an extremely capable fabricator. I've had a hobby of building high-end custom furniture and have an electrical/mechanical/materials engineering background (Ph.D.) as well as access to a proper machine shop. My build is coming along but everything is taking 2-3x longer than I expected.
https://nicktavasieff.smugmug.com
Zundfolge is offline   Reply With Quote