Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
jdredshaw

Default Re: Anyone have experience with the KISAE DMT1230 DC-DC Battery Charger

Old thread, but thought I would comment. I have DMT 1230 in a 2011 MB sprinter 144 V6. It is connected to the starter battery through both a manual on/off switch and 150A relay which is controlled by the D+ terminal. I also have 200W of solar connected to it. I have the manual on/off because the solar usually does the trick for my loads at this time and I like keeping the house and van electrical systems separated as much as I can.

I am very happy with it so far. It is a great package that can do both DC-DC charging and MPPT solar. It switches between the two sources seamlessly and does a great job of regulating the charging current to cover loads on the system. i.e. it will float charge at 0.3A, but then increase the current to 5.3A when my fridge compressor kicks on such the current my Victron BV 712 monitors is a relatively constant 0.3 A.

I let you know how it works long term, but short term (3 months) it is working great.
jdredshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #12
mtncrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdredshaw View Post
Old thread, but thought I would comment. I have DMT 1230 in a 2011 MB sprinter 144 V6. It is connected to the starter battery through both a manual on/off switch and 150A relay which is controlled by the D+ terminal. I also have 200W of solar connected to it. I have the manual on/off because the solar usually does the trick for my loads at this time and I like keeping the house and van electrical systems separated as much as I can.

I am very happy with it so far. It is a great package that can do both DC-DC charging and MPPT solar. It switches between the two sources seamlessly and does a great job of regulating the charging current to cover loads on the system. i.e. it will float charge at 0.3A, but then increase the current to 5.3A when my fridge compressor kicks on such the current my Victron BV 712 monitors is a relatively constant 0.3 A.

I let you know how it works long term, but short term (3 months) it is working great.

I pretty much have the exact same setup (in my 2011 144). DMT1230, 200W solar, and charging from the alternator (though starter battery) with a manual isolation switch in the drivers seat base. Working seamlessly as well. :thumb:
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:43 PM   #13
H.Mont

Can either of you tell me why you chose the KISAE DMT1230 over the CTEK D250SA. I am new to all this and trying to figure out a simple system and I have been leaning toward the CTEK. It sounds to me that the KISAE does the same thing, but with 10 more amps.
H.Mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:35 AM   #14
mtncrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Mont View Post
Can either of you tell me why you chose the KISAE DMT1230 over the CTEK D250SA. I am new to all this and trying to figure out a simple system and I have been leaning toward the CTEK. It sounds to me that the KISAE does the same thing, but with 10 more amps.
I was between the CTEK and the Kisae (and new to all of this as well). I think the higher charging amps came into play, but the CTEK (I believe) offers the option/combo of both solar and alternator charging at the same time. The Kisae does not. Your analysis may show otherwise, but that's what I remember.

In the end - it was almost a coin toss. I did't think I could go wrong with either.
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #15
H.Mont

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
I was between the CTEK and the Kisae (and new to all of this as well). I think the higher charging amps came into play, but the CTEK (I believe) offers the option/combo of both solar and alternator charging at the same time. The Kisae does not. Your analysis may show otherwise, but that's what I remember.

In the end - it was almost a coin toss. I did't think I could go wrong with either.
Thanks, it sounded the same. So with the 30A from the Kisae, you are saying that will charge faster than the 20A of the Ctek? Also, what would be the advantage of having both solar and Alternator charging at the same time? I think my plan is to put 2 AGM batteries in the engine compartment using the Adventure Wagon tray and wiring kit, but replace their Blue Sea ACR relay with either the Ctek or Kisae. Any experience with the AdWag product?
H.Mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:36 PM   #16
jbm-sd

Hi,
This appears to be the definitive Kisae review thread. Has anyone had any issues with their Kisae scaling back the current delivery due to thermal issues? I had that issue with my Sterling BB1260 and am in the process of returning it to Sterling for a refund. I'm considering replacing it with a Kisae device, probably the DMT-1230 so it will fully charge my 220 Ah lifelines down nearly to the prescribed tail current (0.5% or 1.1A).
Any other issues that have made you rethink your choice? Does it fit well within the seat pedestal? Does it produce a lot of heat or is it fairly efficient?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2019, 03:08 AM   #17
markxengineering

I very much like my Kisae 1250, and chose it because of all the issues w/ Sterling seen on this forum, along with a conversation with Sterling tech support that made me think they were fairly clueless about their own product line. 100% recommend Kisae.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
Bikes!

I've only had my 1230 installed for about a month, but I really like it. I've never felt it get hot and it switches between solar or alternator like it should. I have a Renogy 170 AH lithium battery.
Bikes! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:31 AM   #19
Robert Foster

I have the Kisae DMT1250 and just returned from a six week trip where it worked flawlessly. I have 232 ahs in 2 AGMs connected to a single 200 watt solar panel and the 200 amp alternator. No complaints yet.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:16 AM   #20
Onefin

I have:
450ah of LiFePO4 Lion Safari Ut (5 batteries) https://lionenergy.com/collections/b...lion-safari-ut
360w Lg panel https://www.lg.com/us/business/solar...lg-LG350Q1C-A5
And a factory Auxiliary battery in my sprinter.

Any red flags that I overlooked with this setup with the DMT1250?
Would I wire the DMt1250 to the aux battery?
Plan B is much more (>$2,500) expensive with a nations auxiliary alternator and a Victron charge controller instead of Dc-Dc charging.
I emailed Kisae and they indicated everything should be compatible.

Thoughts?
Onefin is offline   Reply With Quote