Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #21
alichty
2014 LTV Unity TB
 
alichty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 1,953
Thanks: 256
Thanked 1,276 Times in 782 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Tires for UnityMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodywesty View Post
Not to change the subject but what kind/brand of chains are you carrying? And I was a bit shocked at the price difference between the LTX and XSP tires! But it is a serious commercial tire... Ya get what you pay for! Well, at least most of the time.. ;-)
Chains:

http://www.lacledechain.com/light-tr...rt-super-sport
__________________
Alan Lichty
2014 Unity TB
alichty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alichty For This Useful Post:
scott478 (03-31-2016), woodywesty (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #22
turbopilot
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 526
Thanks: 2
Thanked 441 Times in 208 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Tires for UnityMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodywesty View Post
Not to change the subject but what kind/brand of chains are you carrying? And I was a bit shocked at the price difference between the LTX and XSP tires! But it is a serious commercial tire... Ya get what you pay for! Well, at least most of the time.. ;-)
Yes, big difference. However when you read through the posts on other forums by folks who have used these tires it is very clear they are a tough, long lasting tire. One blow out of a cheap tire in the middle of no where will easily pay for the difference when you consider the cost of recovery/towing. Been there.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turbopilot For This Useful Post:
woodywesty (03-30-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:25 AM   #23
okpete
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 45
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Tires for UnityMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandRV View Post
With only 1800 miles on the new Conti's we replaced them with the LTX MS2 and it made all the difference in the world. Much quieter and smoother ride than previously, and rated at 70k miles. Too bad they're being replaced with a 50k mile version.
Just out of curious its, where do you have your tire work done ? I didn't notice the irregular wear on my front tires until to late and had Les Schwab on Columbia by Freightliner align the front end. Since I was'nt replacing the all, used continental. They did a great job on alignment and for a reasonable price. However, I have Tireman valve stems on the dual lies and need someone who is knowledgeable so they don't screw up the stems. Anyway, I have 30000 miles on rears, and will change soon. I live in Gresham ,2012 Pleasureway and just wondering who yor used for tire service. Hope your new Unity is all that you desired. Thanks for your help.
Pete
okpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:45 AM   #24
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
 
SSTraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,635
Thanks: 690
Thanked 1,576 Times in 794 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Tires for UnityMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by okpete View Post
Just out of curious its, where do you have your tire work done ? I didn't notice the irregular wear on my front tires until to late and had Les Schwab on Columbia by Freightliner align the front end. Since I was'nt replacing the all, used continental. They did a great job on alignment and for a reasonable price. However, I have Tireman valve stems on the dual lies and need someone who is knowledgeable so they don't screw up the stems. Anyway, I have 30000 miles on rears, and will change soon. I live in Gresham ,2012 Pleasureway and just wondering who yor used for tire service. Hope your new Unity is all that you desired. Thanks for your help.
Pete
This Thread maybe of interest, http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...ad.php?t=45872.
__________________
SSTraveler
2014 Unity Murphy Bed/2014 MB Chassis
SSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #25
Davydd
 
Davydd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,041
Thanks: 26
Thanked 492 Times in 313 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Tires for UnityMB

The original Continental tires Mercedes Benz has been putting on Sprinters are fine with the exception of one thing - miles. This is my second Class B Sprinter with them and in both cases they need replacing after 36,000 miles. That is a little bit early but our trips are typically 6-10,000 miles away and they will not last that long on the next outing and I would rather replace them at home than on the road.

In Minnesota we don't use chains. On our last trip we wanted to go up the mountain in Sequoia National Park. We got to the museum before hitting ice and snow. All the service stations rented chains but we didn't rent them so turned back at that point. The Ranger said they enforce chains, snow tires or all-season tires but wasn't concerned and said enforcement was usually on the busy weekends. Other than that, we never encountered the need in over 160,000 miles of RV travel. Still, I will get the all season tires when I replace the Continentals.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:42 AM   #26
turbopilot
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 526
Thanks: 2
Thanked 441 Times in 208 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Tires for UnityMB

As I posted earlier I made the decision to stick with the steel wheels and upgrade to the top of the line Michelin XPS Rib tires. I had about 4,000 miles on the Continentals before I decided to toss them in favor of the XPS Rib.

After driving on the new tires for about 300 miles at highway speed I can report they are different than the Continental original equipment tires. The biggest difference is that they are so quiet at highway speed compared to the Continental. I never measured the sound level with the Continental tires but the cabin noise with the XPS Rib at 65 mph averages around 65 dB. That is very quiet for the cab of a light truck. Reduction in noise is probably related to the "summer tire" tread design on the XPS Rib. As discussed earlier the XPS Rib is not an all season tire.

The other major difference I noted was a significant reduction in side to side sway the XPS Rib. Others have reported a similar improvement in sway with the Michelin LTS M/S tirel. I have never driven a Unity with the LTS M/S tires to compare. No doubt the steel side wall construction of the XPS Rib makes a difference in sway.

I never had any problem with vibration running the Continental tires on steel wheels and the XPS Rib run just as smooth.

So if you want a smooth running, very quiet tough tire with a higher load rating I can recommend the Michelin XPS Rib.


Last edited by turbopilot; 04-21-2016 at 03:44 AM.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:44 AM   #27
PortlandRV
2012 and 2016 IB
 
PortlandRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 755
Thanks: 291
Thanked 655 Times in 294 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Tires for UnityMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
As I posted earlier I made the decision to stick with the steel wheels and upgrade to the top of the line Michelin XPS Rib tires. I had about 4,000 miles on the Continentals before I decided to toss them in favor of the XPS Rib.

After driving on the new tires for about 300 miles at highway speed I can report they are different than the Continental original equipment tires. The biggest difference is that they are so quiet at highway speed compared to the Continental. I never measured the sound level with the Continental tires but the cabin noise with the XPS Rib at 65 mph averages around 65 dB. That is very quiet for the cab of a light truck. Reduction in noise is probably related to the "summer tire" tread design on the XPS Rib. As discussed earlier the XPS Rib is not an all season tire.

The other major difference I noted was a significant reduction in side to side sway the XPS Rib. Others have reported a similar improvement in sway with the Michelin LTS M/S tirel. I have never driven a Unity with the LTS M/S tires to compare. No doubt the steel side wall construction of the XPS Rib makes a difference in sway.

I never had any problem with vibration running the Continental tires on steel wheels and the XPS Rib run just as smooth.

So if you want a smooth running, very quiet tough tire with a higher load rating I can recommend the Michelin XPS Rib.

I don't believe the ribs are mud and snow rated tires. Can you confirm?
__________________
2012 IB
2016 IB
PortlandRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:47 AM   #28
PortlandRV
2012 and 2016 IB
 
PortlandRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 755
Thanks: 291
Thanked 655 Times in 294 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Tires for UnityMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by okpete View Post
Just out of curious its, where do you have your tire work done ? I didn't notice the irregular wear on my front tires until to late and had Les Schwab on Columbia by Freightliner align the front end. Since I was'nt replacing the all, used continental. They did a great job on alignment and for a reasonable price. However, I have Tireman valve stems on the dual lies and need someone who is knowledgeable so they don't screw up the stems. Anyway, I have 30000 miles on rears, and will change soon. I live in Gresham ,2012 Pleasureway and just wondering who yor used for tire service. Hope your new Unity is all that you desired. Thanks for your help.
Pete
We have Mercedes Benz of Salem do all of our work. 5 start service. Freightliner in Portland actually isn't equipped to do my tire work. They have Les Schwab do their tire work for them.
__________________
2012 IB
2016 IB
PortlandRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #29
turbopilot
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 526
Thanks: 2
Thanked 441 Times in 208 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Tires for UnityMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandRV View Post
I don't believe the ribs are mud and snow rated tires. Can you confirm?
They are rated as a "Summer Tire". Based on the specifications it appears the difference is tread pattern and tire compound which no doubt provide the very quiet ride. Given my nominal operating range of the Pacific Northwest and Southwestern US, it is a perfect tire for me. Some discussion on other forums that the tire life of expectation of the XPS Rib versus the LTS M/S offsets the price difference on a pro rated basis. We will see.

Searching the net several posts by RV owners who put LTS M/S on the rear and XPS Rib on the front. Might be a good compromise to reduce cab noise a give an edge on traction.

Last edited by turbopilot; 04-21-2016 at 02:19 PM.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to turbopilot For This Useful Post:
PortlandRV (04-22-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #30
wade5979
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 159
Thanks: 5
Thanked 49 Times in 35 Posts
Default Re: Michelin Tires for UnityMB

I too would like to change to Michelin but am having fits trying to find a dealer who will take on the alcoa wheel balancing here in SW Florida. I get either we don't have the Haweka Pro 6 adapter or shoot yeah we can do it how hard can it be!
wade5979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.