Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
srsosbso

Default ceiling fan question, fantastic van 6600R

I looked at two fans recently, a fantastic fan and a shurflo comfort air gold, both in a three speed models.

The dealer said the shur flo has had issues, bearings, motors, etc. going. However, it was DEAD quiet, nearly silent at the lowest speed, which I liked because I sleep poorly at the best of times. The fantastic fans are trouble free, but I could not sleep with it on, even on low.

My question is, on the highest end fantastic fan, the 6600R (which was not in stock here), with 14 (FOURTEEN?!) speeds, is it quiet, bordering on silent, on the lowest speed? Any experience here with the comfort air?
srsosbso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
d_bertko

Default Re: ceiling fan question, fantastic van 6600R

Hmmm...

I am pretty noise-sensitive and find the low speed on my 3-speed Fantastic Fan inoffensive.

You can add door screening if you want more ventilation without fan use.

We find only serious boondocks are without noise issues. Virtually any commercial campground has too much noise from other campers for me. A little fan "white noise" can be welcome.

But then our favorite campsites for a paddler like me are backed up to a running stream where the babbling leads to very pleasant dreams.
d_bertko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
srsosbso

Yep, I'm looking for the same campsites. We tend to travel off season, May and September are favourites, so campground noise isn't a big issue.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Kat
Katmobile

Try earplugs, they work great. I'm a light sleeper too, so have used them every night (but one) for 20 years and don't think I could sleep without them. The exception was one night last summer when I camped near a waterfall. The sound of the waterfall was so nice & soothing, I didn't want to block it out...and slept great without earplugs (had the whole campground to myself ). If you try this, get the soft tapered kind with a high noise reduction rating like 32-33 decibels, something like this:
http://www.orthomedinc.com/Promotion..._Ear_Plugs.pdf

Kat
Old 06-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
srsosbso

Nice tip, Kat, thanks! :)

As for the fans, maybe another question would be how the sound compares between the fantastic fan 6600R on its lowest setting vs. a 3 speed fantastic fan on its lowest setting (if anyone has used or heard both)
Old 06-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Kat
Katmobile

You might have to call the Surflo customer support department for specifications on the sound rating (I tried to find it online for you, but didn't find an answer quickly)

Here is a link to the Fantastic Fan website where it tells you the sound rating in decibels for high, med & low speeds:

http://www.fantasticvent.com/assets/...chure%2006.pdf

As I said, I didn't see anything on sound ratings at the Surflo website (maybe something is there, but would probably be quicker to call them). So here is a link to their customer support:

http://www.shurflo.com/customer-support/default.html

House type ventilation fans have a sound rating, but it is in "sones". Hopefully, Surflo has their fans rated in decibels like the Fantastic Fans so you can compare apples to apples. Otherwise, if the Surflo fan rating is in sones, you will need to ask them or find a conversion table for sones & decibels.

Hope this was helpful...

Kat

P.S. I just found this at the Surflo website under FAQ:

Comfort Air Fan System Questions

Question: Is it quiet?
Answer: Being variable speed, you can adjust the speed to noise level that is comfortable. On maximum speed the decibel level is only 36dB.

Also, I have seen where other forum members have installed the MaxxAir, MaxxFan. I don't know anything about that brand though...it may be another option if you haven't already considered it.

Last edited by Kat; 06-29-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added content
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:
srsosbso (06-29-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
Kat
Katmobile

One other thing you might want to consider is having a rain sensor on your fan. It didn't look like the Surflo has a rain sensor option, whereas the Fantastic Fan and MaxxFan do.

I live in the rainy Northwest so definitely wanted that option...but, I took a vacation to a bunch of state parks last year, including in Utah where there would occasionally be some afternoon thunder storms. So, rain can happen in other places too, and I don't want to be off hiking on a trail or something and have to worry about the vent being open on Katmobile while I'm off having fun. Anyhow, you might want to consider that option as well.

Kat
Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #8
srsosbso

Good advice.

I'm going to go ahead and order the fantastic fan. If it's too loud, I'll just turn it off when I head to bed.

thanks!