Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
d_bertko

Default Re: Kayaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosteve View Post
Dan , et. Al.

Thanks for the suggestions. The getting to them was always a question mark for me. I also want to carry two bikes on a hitch mounted rack and I have a "continental tire mount" off the hitch. I think my solution will be to find another location to store the spare tire and make a cradle to carry them vertically (or stap them to the doors) and extend the bike racks.

Thanks for the replys and any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again
Bladerunner illustrated nicely what my homebrew guys had made for their rv.

We're also bikers and I have that expensive Yakima swingaway rack (found as a half price return at an LLBean outlet, luckily.) It gets out of the way nicely for boat loading.

My spare tire has ended up on my roof under a cover. It is amusing but I can raise and lower it with a canoe strap and the boat roller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikerackendview.jpg (42.5 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg cycle_swingaway.jpg (51.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg cycle_cover2.jpg (45.6 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg cycle_rackdown.jpg (46.5 KB, 159 views)
d_bertko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
tosteve

Sweet! I thought that the tire would end up on the roof, but I had no good solution on how to access it when needed. Thanks for the idea!

Steve
tosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #13
NBB

d_bertko - I am considering the same rack for the back of my van. How does the cover work out - does it flap around much? How many bicycles are under there? I looked up "motogear cover" and came up with something similar to your photo sold at Walmart? TIA.
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #14
d_bertko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBB View Post
d_bertko - I am considering the same rack for the back of my van. How does the cover work out - does it flap around much? How many bicycles are under there? I looked up "motogear cover" and came up with something similar to your photo sold at Walmart? TIA.
I bought the motorcycle cover at WM. Guessed that I needed a medium or medium-large cover for two bikes. I load the bikes in the same orientation and pretend I have a Harley cruiser. A good shape for the cover. My wife sewed on a couple of REI clip straps at the very bottom for extra and easy securement. My license plate is hidden by it and my project list is to remount the plate and a lamp high on the door. I am taking a sewing class now---I might instead put some clear panels where the plate is currently located.

The rack has space for four bikes and I have managed that many. My wife and I are a foot apart in height and her bike parts don't line up very well with mine. So our bikes are spread apart a bit on the nicely-adjustable rack.
d_bertko is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_bertko For This Useful Post:
NBB (04-08-2010)