Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #11
wtm1038

Default Re: Trailer Light Frustration

I have a similar sounding issue with my new boat trailer being towed by my new Sprinter Winnebago View. The LED lights faintly flash on and off at about one second intervals when all systems were off and the key removed. I was told that the e-trailer item 20142 adapter would solve the problem (7 flat pin to 7 flat pin). So I bought one and found that it didn't change the flashing. I am very puzzled about the problem. Winnebago sez it's a MB issue, but the local MB Service guys don't have a clue! This apparently is a common issue with MB products....why are they not stepping forward with the appropriate fix? Any other ideas out there?
wtm1038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,928 Times in 5,782 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Light Frustration

What you are probably seeing is the Sprinter applying a test pulse of current to the trailer pins (looking for light bulbs).

If it sees a (normal bulb) load, it then tells the anti-lock, ParkTronix and ESP system "hey! we're towing!"

LEDs draw so little power that the "test pulse" causes them to illuminate.

I would not consider this a "problem" that MB should "fix" (other than come up with something that works with J-random manufacturers' idea of a proper LED load). At worst, i'd call it an "undocumented feature" (auto-sensing of trailer and continuous test of bulb condition).
Would you be satisfied if the owner's manual specified "use incandescent trailer bulbs"?

It may even prevent damage to the Sprinter's bulb drivers (avoiding fuse-blows) when your boat trailer is backed into salt water shorting out the tail lights.

Upon re-reading the question (i.e. happens with power off) ... do you have an MB-installed alarm system or immobilizer?
Does it stop blinking if you wait a full two minutes?

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 06-08-2017 at 08:54 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:52 AM   #13
locksmith72

Default Re: LED Trailer Light Frustration - Add Loading Resistors

If the trailer has led & the van, standard lights there should be enough resisitence to allow them to function. You might try I dedicated ground to each light, not just a pigtail & screw to the frame, used dielectric grease on each connection too . On the last trailer I wired , there was a ground wire from the plug to all the lights , seems over kill but might be a fix. Please let us what happens .
locksmith72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:25 PM   #14
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,928 Times in 5,782 Posts
Default Re: LED Trailer Light Frustration - Add Loading Resistors

Quote:
Originally Posted by locksmith72 View Post
If the trailer has led & the van, standard lights there should be enough resisitence to allow them to function. You might try I dedicated ground to each light, not just a pigtail & screw to the frame, used dielectric grease on each connection too . On the last trailer I wired , there was a ground wire from the plug to all the lights , seems over kill but might be a fix. Please let us what happens .
If your NCV3 has the MB trailer module/hookup installed, it's a separate computer module that forms its own signals and drivers for the trailer lights. It doesn't care what the Sprinter's bulbs are doing.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 05-31-2019 at 05:28 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (06-01-2019), dharmasprint (10-09-2019)