Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Great West Vans


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
parkgt
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Western, AR
Posts: 101
Thanks: 29
Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Default Tire pressue decision.

Weighed my 2007 Great West Van (2006 Sprinter) which is a full RV. With water tank at 88%, propane and gas full and me on board along with most permanent trip items.

The total weight was 8240, split 3480 F and 4760 R. With wife, clothes, food and beverages we will be right at if not over the 8550 lbs GVW.

Running Michelin Defender 225/75R16 Es and have decided after looking at the chart to try 57 psi front and 75 psi rear. Probably won't go down much it any but may go up depending on how it drives and feels.

Thoughts?
__________________
2006 T1N / 2007 Great West Legend
parkgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
WinterSummerBliss
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Boulder, Co
Posts: 24
Thanks: 39
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Tire pressue decision.

I've been wondering about tire pressure. My vehicle additions do not weigh much yet. More weight may eventually be in the back. Is that common to have higher pressure in the rear wheels if there's more weight?
WinterSummerBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:33 PM   #3
Mike DZ
2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Virginia
Posts: 919
Thanks: 107
Thanked 510 Times in 352 Posts
Default Re: Tire pressue decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterSummerBliss View Post
I've been wondering about tire pressure. My vehicle additions do not weigh much yet. More weight may eventually be in the back. Is that common to have higher pressure in the rear wheels if there's more weight?
If you look at the michelin inflation guide, you will see that they call for increasing pressure as the load goes up -- https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=42048

Once you weigh front and rear- or some weigh at each corner - enter the chart for your tires at the weight you are carrying and read recommended inflation.
__________________
2016 View 24V (2015 3500) towing a 2016 Sonic Hatchback
Mike DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:20 AM   #4
marklg
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Arizona Desert
Posts: 682
Thanks: 119
Thanked 271 Times in 216 Posts
Default Re: Tire pressue decision.

There are two different stickers on the driver's door side, one original for the vehicle and one from Great West after the conversion. That one says 70 psi front and 80 rear.

You should see both when you open the door, one on the door and one on the door jamb. Mine is the same year as yours. I use 70/80 and it rides OK. I wouldn't say it rides great, but I don't expect a truck to ride like a 1960s Caddy.

Regards,

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original_Sticker.jpg (86.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg GW_Sticker.jpg (102.8 KB, 17 views)
marklg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:50 AM   #5
parkgt
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Western, AR
Posts: 101
Thanks: 29
Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Default Re: Tire pressue decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike DZ View Post
If you look at the michelin inflation guide, you will see that they call for increasing pressure as the load goes up -- https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=42048

Once you weigh front and rear- or some weigh at each corner - enter the chart for your tires at the weight you are carrying and read recommended inflation.

That is the chart I mentioned above and the one I based my decision on. I have run 55 and 60 psi in the front before without handling issues and have yet to find a reason with the scale weight I have to go to 70 and endure the rougher ride. IF I get full grey and black tanks with a full water load I may go up to 80 on the rear; but I have yet faced that.

With Koni reds and Sumo springs. on the front and Fox Agiles on the rear the ride is not bad with those pressures on decent roads.
__________________
2006 T1N / 2007 Great West Legend
parkgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:11 AM   #6
marklg
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Arizona Desert
Posts: 682
Thanks: 119
Thanked 271 Times in 216 Posts
Default Re: Tire pressue decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkgt View Post
That is the chart I mentioned above and the one I based my decision on. I have run 55 and 60 psi in the front before without handling issues and have yet to find a reason with the scale weight I have to go to 70 and endure the rougher ride. IF I get full grey and black tanks with a full water load I may go up to 80 on the rear; but I have yet faced that.

With Koni reds and Sumo springs. on the front and Fox Agiles on the rear the ride is not bad with those pressures on decent roads.
Mine has an air ride system installed, but I don't know much about it, just that 50 psi feels about right. On washboard forest roads the ride is always bad. On good roads, it is OK, but for me at least, the front seats in the Sprinter are very comfortable, with a good seating position for long drives.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is online now   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.