Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
drew502

Default Espar Booster Heater Help

I have the factory Espar booster heater (not auxiliary options) on my 2004 T1N 140. But in the two years that I've had my (used) van I have not run it. It occurred to me that I should figure this out since the temps have been in the teens around here for the past couple of days.

After starting the vehicle, I engaged the power for the booster heater and absolutely nothing happened (except the red led light turned on for the power button). I have read through numerous threads including the Espar files but the information is quite scattered. Is there a concise summation of troubleshooting and repairing the booster heater? Odds being odds, what are the three most likely reasons that the unit would not function at all? There is only a 1/4 tank of gas right now, is that enough to have the booster run if it was working?

My mechanic skills are very basic but I can normally muddle through the simple things.

Thanks!
drew502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
MillionMileSprinter
Formerly Type2Teach

Thanked 1,516 Times in 853 Posts
Default Re: Espar Booster Heater Help

Pull it out, use 1/2" black pipe to connect the hoses and take the espar apart. Clean it well. Test the fan and the glow plug with a 9v battery. Make sure everything is working. Mine just needed a good cleaning.
'06 medium/short Silver Passenger 265k
Joel Sell
For HELP, SERVICE and MORE
Visit: www.millionmilesprinter.com
Cooling System Kit: https://www.millionmilesprinter.com/...n-life-cooling
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/million_mile_sprinter/
MMS YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuq...mQ8mWdgF1XpLhg
MillionMileSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillionMileSprinter For This Useful Post:
Cole (02-07-2014), drew502 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #3
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,945 Times in 5,793 Posts

Yes, the heater (at least the Aux heater) has a fuel-level sensor, and 1/4 tank is its cut-off point.

The booster heater (once you turn it on) should wait about 15 seconds or so, and then start making a quiet thup-thup sound (under the floor under the US driver's seat) as it starts "pumping" fuel.
About a minute or so later, it will try to ignite.
That can take a while (i think it gives itself at least 3 minutes), and then exhaust should start coming out of the US driver's front wheel well.
Once it ignites, there will be a (kind'a) quiet-but-getting-louder roar as the "barn burner" gets going.

It may not start once the coolant gets above 180 F.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
drew502 (02-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 AM   #4
Kubbie
'06 2500 140" Std Roof.

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. Bought my van used and the booster never worked.
I wish I took pics when I worked on mine last week - I can describe it from my head because I can visualize each step since it was easy, but now not too clear when I try to put it to words.

1. Read this thread to learn some more: http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18131
2. Verify your electric coolant pump works - if not, easy to replace and I got the ebay one for $60. You can put 12V to the leads and listen if it spins.
3. Make sure it is not a blown fuse to your booster heater.
4. Call Ray at esparparts.com and order the gasket and seal 20.1820.99.0001.0A - you will need this to put your espar heater back together.
5. Once the gasket arrives, pull the heater out - pull the front grill, driver's headlight assembly, then you will be sitting there staring at it. Don't try just from above.
Although it sounds like a bunch of work to get to it, it is not. Just have a good torx set and a metric socket set. Careful with the intake air tube, mine was in good shape and was able to reuse it, exhaust - not so much.

There are two coolant lines to the espar, if you plan to drive the van with it out (like I had to), you will need to connect the lines.
If you do have a bad electric coolant pump, you can use the old one and the hose clamps to keep all your coolant from flowing out. Or a 90 degree hose barb.

6. Take apart the espar. Also - easy, and give it the burner a good cleaning. Brake cleaner, carb cleaner, I even used some of my gun cleaning solvents and a tooth brush.
Scrape away all the gasket material, as well as the seal between the combustion chamber and burner. Clean the carbon from the screen wick in the "D" shaped opening in the burner.
Clean the flame sensor and glow pin.
Check the fan motor that it's not siezed, I sprayed mine with electrical contact cleaner. Then a drop of light oil on the motor shaft.

7. After a thorough cleaning (post some pics here and I can let you know what my opinion is of clean), put it all together.

8. If the exhaust pipe is charred, you might need a new one. Mine was so burnt on to there that it crumbled apart. Link to the cheaper ebay one is in the thread above.

9. Top off coolant, as I lost about a quart or so in the in and out process.

I did this process, started the van and hit the booster button. After about 30 - 45 seconds for the glow pin to warm up, it started up for me. Lots of smoke at 1st as stuff burns off, but now I use it couple times a day with these temps. Love it!

Good luck, hope that it just needs a cleaning or pump, as they are cheap fixes and well worth it. We'll chime in to walk you through it if you get stuck.
If it is a bad dosing pump, I can't help - mine was good and I didn't have to change it.

Rob.

Last edited by Kubbie; 02-07-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Kubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kubbie For This Useful Post:
Cole (02-07-2014), drew502 (02-07-2014), israndy (02-10-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:52 AM   #5
drew502

Thanks Rob; I read through the post that you linked and saw that you were in the same boat. Similar to you, I'm trying to get down to brass tacks and not go down to many rabbit trails with all the posts. Your post here is a good summation and I will try and apply it and see what I can work out. First things first, I'm going to fill the gas tank, cross my fingers, and see what that yields.
drew502 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drew502 For This Useful Post:
jkskiak (05-18-2017)
Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,969 Times in 8,881 Posts

This rabbit hole has a video in the first post which I found very accurate and helpful.

The German site also has some good pictures.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30384

This one lists the tools needed among other things.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30427

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 02-07-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
drew502 (02-12-2014)
Old 02-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #7
MillionMileSprinter
Formerly Type2Teach

Thanked 1,516 Times in 853 Posts

After trying to order parts from esparparts.com online and having Paul call me, I would suggest that anyone ordering from them for the first time should call and order over the phone. Saves alot of confusion.
'06 medium/short Silver Passenger 265k
Joel Sell
For HELP, SERVICE and MORE
Visit: www.millionmilesprinter.com
Cooling System Kit: https://www.millionmilesprinter.com/...n-life-cooling
Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/million_mile_sprinter/
MMS YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuq...mQ8mWdgF1XpLhg

Last edited by MillionMileSprinter; 02-08-2014 at 06:52 PM.
MillionMileSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
davisdave
2005 140 tall passenger

The owners manual says that the aux heater will run down to about 4 gallons in the tank (p.131) I believe this is true for the heater booster...i have run it a little below 1/4 tank. I thought it was limited by standpipe?
'10 Honda NT700VA
'95 Geo Tracker
davisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,969 Times in 8,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type2Teach View Post
After trying to order parts from esparparts.com online and having Paul call me, I would suggest that anyone ordering from them for the first time should call and order over the phone. Saves alot of confusion.
Good suggestion.

On-line didn't work so great for me either. I ended up on the phone too. vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
bc339

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisdave View Post
The owners manual says that the aux heater will run down to about 4 gallons in the tank (p.131) I believe this is true for the heater booster...i have run it a little below 1/4 tank. I thought it was limited by standpipe?
Yes, you are correct. The standpipe goes through the fuel level sensor.

Bruce