Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:14 PM   #11
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,541 Times in 4,770 Posts
Default Re: Injector Leaking... HELP! Should I still drive it?

I did an injector seal in the parking lot of a tourist services center in New South Wales. With a hot engine I was able to remove and replace in about 2.5 hours. I didn't have a puller, but the injector was not stuck badly. I used an adjustable wrench on the body to rotate about 10 degrees back and forth, with a bit of leverage from a pry bar against the hold down hard point (NOT THE VALVE COVER). Clean up was easy enough with fine grit sandpaper, a dowel, and a couple picks.

If I was doing it again, I would coat the injector body with cold galvanizing paint (basically fine powdered zinc). To prevent corrosion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
billintomahawk (01-14-2020), gilee (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #12
gilee
2005 Sprinter Van 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautamaran View Post
I can’t comment on the Permatex, but I will say that I’m firmly in the “let sleeping dogs lie” camp when it comes to injector seals. In my opinion there is no reason to disturb the seals unless they are confirmed to be leaking with a bubble test or other evidence (lava counts ).

So in your position I would replace the one leaking seal on #2 and leave the other four alone for now, but keep the other bolts and seals handy to address any future seal failures. (I replaced cyl #3 at 155k, then #4 at 185k) There is a real risk of damaging the aluminum threads or snapping the hold down bolt, so I will avoid taking that risk without other symptoms.

(Another tip: you can see in the video that he uses a hammer to firmly tap his torx wrench into the bolt head before turning it. This is a good practice, as it can help to loosen the adhesion that can exist between the steel bolt and the aluminum threads, and doing so reduces the chance of the thread being damaged during bolt extraction.)

-dave
I did notice the tab of the hammer in the video, thanks for pointing it out.
I do appreciate your opinion on leaving the other injectors. I do agree and I'm seriously considering it now.
May I ask how many miles your van has now?
Old 01-13-2020, 05:48 PM   #13
gilee
2005 Sprinter Van 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
I did an injector seal in the parking lot of a tourist services center in New South Wales. With a hot engine I was able to remove and replace in about 2.5 hours. I didn't have a puller, but the injector was not stuck badly. I used an adjustable wrench on the body to rotate about 10 degrees back and forth, with a bit of leverage from a pry bar against the hold down hard point (NOT THE VALVE COVER). Clean up was easy enough with fine grit sandpaper, a dowel, and a couple picks.

If I was doing it again, I would coat the injector body with cold galvanizing paint (basically fine powdered zinc). To prevent corrosion.
That is an inspiring story to tell and definitely a nerve-wracking...
Did you end up changing all injectors' seal after you get home or you just leave them as is? (Since they are not leaking)

Can you take a picture off the valve cover and circle, or emphasize in details what you mean by the hard spots? Sorry if I'm asking for too much, but I really doing my best to understand and to avoid any unnecessary issues.
Thanks!!

Hopefully the bolts and washers will arrive by this weekend and I have about 1.5 week to prepare and replace the injector seal.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #14
Midwestdrifter

I only replaced the leaking injector. I am at 190k miles now, with only one failure.

I do not have a good photo currently. The claw/bracket which holds down the injector has a pivot point, its like a bump directly below it. This is part of the head (not the valve cover) it is safe to pry against this point if you are careful not to slip off and hit the valve cover.

My injector was not leaking long enough for the black tar to seal the injector bore tightly.

In cases like that, drive then van until its up to temp. Then you can loosen the injector hold down bolt about 1 turn from the finger tight position. Drive the van with a good bit of throttle. If you are lucky the injector will break loose and you will hear a loud chuffing/leaking air noise. Pull over, and tighten the injector bolt down (don't do the 90 degree stretch, just tight enough to stop the leaking). At this point, drive home, and replace the injector. It should come out fairly easily. If you are still having trouble, you can use a puller tool, or just wait until you get a better tool.

Last edited by Midwestdrifter; 01-13-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Midwestdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
gilee (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 03:04 AM   #15
gilee
2005 Sprinter Van 2500

Quote:
I only replaced the leaking injector. I am at 190k miles now, with only one failure.

I do not have a good photo currently. The claw/bracket which holds down the injector has a pivot point, its like a bump directly below it. This is part of the head (not the valve cover) it is safe to pry against this point if you are careful not to slip off and hit the valve cover.

My injector was not leaking long enough for the black tar to seal the injector bore tightly.

In cases like that, drive then van until its up to temp. Then you can loosen the injector hold down bolt about 1 turn from the finger tight position. Drive the van with a good bit of throttle. If you are lucky the injector will break loose and you will hear a loud chuffing/leaking air noise. Pull over, and tighten the injector bolt down (don't do the 90 degree stretch, just tight enough to stop the leaking). At this point, drive home, and replace the injector. It should come out fairly easily. If you are still having trouble, you can use a puller tool, or just wait until you get a better tool.
Thanks Midwestdrifter.
The bolts and washer should arrive Wednesday. so I will aim to have it done over the weekend. will update everyone then. Wish me luck.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:42 AM   #16
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N

Thanked 2,032 Times in 1,312 Posts

My van now has 195k on it.

Be aware that the “lava” is much like roofing tar and will start to set quickly as the engine cools down.
So have tools at the ready and work quickly to loosen the fuel line and bolt, and if you have an aux heater/espar keep it running while you work to keep the head hot.

Good luck!

-dave

ps: this sort of slide-hammer can make the job go more smoothly:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6pc-INJECTO...3918380?_ul=US

Last edited by Nautamaran; 01-14-2020 at 04:51 AM.
Nautamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nautamaran For This Useful Post:
gilee (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 05:16 AM   #17
gilee
2005 Sprinter Van 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautamaran View Post
My van now has 195k on it.

Be aware that the “lava” is much like roofing tar and will start to set quickly as the engine cools down.
So have tools at the ready and work quickly to loosen the fuel line and bolt, and if you have an aux heater/espar keep it running while you work to keep the head hot.

Good luck!

-dave

ps: this sort of slide-hammer can make the job go more smoothly:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6pc-INJECTO...3918380?_ul=US
Thx, just placed the order. For $39.99, its good to have for this or future injector removal.
Hopefully it arrive before Sat.
Nautamaran (01-14-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #18
gilee
2005 Sprinter Van 2500

Default Re: Injector Leaking... Parts Arrived

Parts from Europarts arrived. pretty fast. Ordered Sunday night, arrived Wednesday noon.
Hopefully the injector puller will arrive tomorrow and I might be able to do my 1st attempt to replace #2 Injectors tomorrow.

Europarts do include the instructions, a bit confused on 2 things, any comments will be appreciated.
Step 5: torque to 62 inlb, then 90degree. but I read many post, final conclusion is 90 + 90.
And Step 6: torque fuel line to 204inlb. I assume I just hand tighten it as much as possible? since the torque ranch cannot be used?

Any thoughts on these guys?

Wish me luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bolts Washer - Europarts.jpg (61.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-15-2020, 07:54 PM   #19
Midwestdrifter

90+90 or just 90 works fine, both are approved depending on which version of the manual you are reading.

There are attachments which let you use a torque wrench on the fuel lines. I did not use one, and typically do it by feel. Just don't strip the line nuts. A line wrench (which is a closed end wrench with a small cutout for the line to pass through) is the best option, but a regular open ended wrench works fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
gilee (01-15-2020), Nautamaran (01-16-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 08:44 PM   #20
gilee
2005 Sprinter Van 2500

Quote:
90+90 or just 90 works fine, both are approved depending on which version of the manual you are reading.

There are attachments which let you use a torque wrench on the fuel lines. I did not use one, and typically do it by feel. Just don't strip the line nuts. A line wrench (which is a closed end wrench with a small cutout for the line to pass through) is the best option, but a regular open ended wrench works fine.
THANKS for the quick reply Midwestdrifter!
I will just go for ONE 90 degree turn. I won't like another nerve wrecking 90 turn...

"There are attachments which let you use a torque wrench on the fuel lines"... never thought of that. learned another new thing! I will also use hand to feel/tighten it.

I just found out I only have T30 and T45... I guess the injectors hold-down bolts are T40. will need to get it from a local store.