Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #11
lindenengineering

Thanked 11,052 Times in 5,608 Posts
Default Re: 2003 Sprinter engine swap High Pressure Injection pump problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
If you can't get them to fix your problem, there was a user here who put the 647 pump on the 612 fuel system. Not sure what changes needed to be made, but he said it ran fine. It was in the T1N turbo upgrade thread IIRC.
Yes you can make it fit by carving out the front of the head and drilling in a pair of new bolt locations.
These modifications I put down to what I call "Hobbyist" activities. Which are fine by themselves!
The issue is that the hobbyist sells the van to someone who considers the vehicle a standard no dicked with unit. Made worse by not having a Sprinter expert check the van out before purchase!

UNTIL that is, its presented to a shop for a bona fide repair because it has failed an E test or similar. Then the fun begins!
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:57 AM   #12
Smokeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
Yes you can make it fit by carving out the front of the head and drilling in a pair of new bolt locations.
These modifications I put down to what I call "Hobbyist" activities. Which are fine by themselves!
The issue is that the hobbyist sells the van to someone who considers the vehicle a standard no dicked with unit. Made worse by not having a Sprinter expert check the van out before purchase!

UNTIL that is, its presented to a shop for a bona fide repair because it has failed an E test or similar. Then the fun begins!
Dennis
Thanks for the help and sorry for the long delay in response. The company took the old engine back and got me a.freshly rebuilt 612. So the engine, new injectors, new turbo, new fuel lines, and other assorted sensors and parts, yeah I'm a little deep into it but it will pay for itself within a year. Quick question for you Dennis. The transmission seems to be in park. Whe. Hooked up to the laptop, the trans shows park when park is selected. But when drive or reverse are selected, it shows correct commanded gear, however actual gear stays in park. When neutral is selected, trans goes into neutral. No fault codes and I just had the trans filter replaced and trans fluid replaced. Any ideas? New trans or possibly control solenoid replacement? Thanks for your help and knowledge.
Smokeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #13
lindenengineering

Thanked 11,052 Times in 5,608 Posts

Well yes from your narrative it appears to be activated electronically--BUT Mechanically ????
Do take into account that the dash mounted shifter is physically connected to the selector lever on the side of the transmission casing. (driver's side on NAS LHD vans ) via a Bowden cable .

Ist check is to verify that it is attached to the ball pillar on the shifter arm and physical movement is present when selecting gears manually in the cab .

If that is confirmed the next step is to drop the transmission pan and inspect the cross shaft which is attached to the exterior shift lever passing through the case. Engaging internally with the selector spool valve being part & partial of the main valve body.

The spool valve has a "box like" end on it engaging with the cross shaft pin. Without that physical movement nothing will happen.
So has the box like connection broken or sheered off ? (not a common problem but I have seen a few.)
Or is the cross shaft linkage misplaced by clumsy install of the valve body when it was last serviced.

Check all that first!
All the best
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
Smokeater (01-17-2020)