Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #1
mntnmanga

Default Driveshaft Alignment Issues 158"

I am starting this thread in hopes to get some additional tips about driveshaft alignment on my 2006 158" wheel base.

I replaced my driveshaft due to some worn u-joints yesterday. I started checking the alignment of the shaft and have some concerns that I won't be able to get it aligned properly. Here is what I have found so far.

I have not checked the vertical alignment yet with an inclinometer. That is on the task list for today. I have only checked the horizontal alignment from the engine to the rear differential. By using a plumb-bob and a laser, I am able to create a straight line from the center of the crankshaft bolt, through the output flange of the transmission to the input flange of the differential (I realize this doesn't account for the angle of the differential at this point).

What I have found is that my two carrier bearings are offset horizontally towards the drivers side of the vehicle. The first bearing(closes to the front of the vehicle) is 1/4" offset and the second bearing is 5/8" offset. The driveshaft then kicks back towards the passenger side 5/8" to the input flange of the differential.

I do not appear to have any appreciable amount of adjustment in the carrier bearing support brackets to correct this alignment.

Today I am going check the horizontal angle of the input flange of the rear differential and see if I can move the engine/transmission to correct or lessen some of the angles.

Any tips or experiences are greatly appreciated.
mntnmanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #2
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,634 Times in 4,048 Posts
Default Re: Driveshaft Alignment Issues 158"

I didn't see any mention of a resource for specs. Here's the 2006 SM http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf

And an example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1022.JPG (118.1 KB, 75 views)
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
mntnmanga

I've got the service manual. The service manual does not talk about lateral alignment as far as I can find.

Just got done checking and adjusting runout on both flanges. Transmission flange runout is within 0.001" and differential flange runout around 0.0015".

I've also checked the vertical u-joint angles as well as the transmission and differential operating angles. My U-joints are operating at 2.5 degrees, 1 degree, 0.6 degrees, and 0.9 degrees. I have total cancellation of u-joint angles which is good.

The last thing I have to do is try to do a lateral alignment for a straight shaft. That's next.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,533 Times in 4,764 Posts

As long as your U joints cancel, and are within a reasonable total operating angle, a small lateral shift is not a problem.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #5
Eric Experience

Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,093 Posts

Mntn.
Its best to have a little angle on all joints, this allows the rollers to turn a complete revolution rather than just sit in one spot.
Having the crosses fazed correctly is vital, Hopefully you aligned the arrows on the spline. Eric.
Eric Experience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #6
mntnmanga

Driveshaft is phased correctly. I did the best I could with the lateral alignment but don't have a straight shaft laterally. I still have an offset towards the drivers side due to the location of the carrier bearing holes on the chassis.

The driveshaft seems to be working well. I don't notice any additional vibrations or sound over my noisy tires....haha.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #7
mntnmanga

I do indeed still have a vibration in this new driveshaft I bought from Driveline Services out of Portland. I suspect I may have a balance issue...
Carstens Energy Solutions
George Carstens
Old 01-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #8
Cwhite87

That would be the very first thing I'd do. Driveshaft rebalancing. Even if the lateral alignment with hash Mark's was right. 2 PC shafts due to the carrier bearing dont always go back exactly the same. So as a rule any time a shop takes one apart it gets rebalance. via weights or torch or BFH until its within spec
Old 01-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #9
billintomahawk
'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwhite87 View Post
That would be the very first thing I'd do. Driveshaft rebalancing. Even if the lateral alignment with hash Mark's was right. 2 PC shafts due to the carrier bearing dont always go back exactly the same. So as a rule any time a shop takes one apart it gets rebalance. via weights or torch or BFH until its within spec
Ignorance is bliss.

How do the hammer and or torch perform the balance?

Just curious?

bill in tomahawk
Transporter 1 Neu 154HP
2500 140"WB, low top
Tank, the repurposed van
https://www.sprinter-source.com/foru...ad.php?t=76877
billintomahawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #10
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,533 Times in 4,764 Posts

On long steel driveshafts, applying high heat to a local area causes very small bends to occur in the shaft. This is akin to adding balance weights. Similar effects are used to remove dents in steel body panels. General weights are much more repeatable...

If you properly mark the two halves of the shaft before removal, there should be no balance issues. This means an accurate scribe/mark on both halves of the slip joint.

Really, balance weights are not a substitute for properly phased U joints. Getting the slip joint together off 1 or more splines, puts the upper the lower U joints out of phase. So they do not self cancel (they need to be 90 degrees offset).
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
billintomahawk (01-19-2020)