Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
helimd

Default grill replacement

Well, the grill mounting tabs on my 2002 Freightliner have been broken for some time, with zip ties the only means to hold the grill in place. I've seen threads about replacing the grill with the early model Mercedes piece, being able to remove the chrome trim at the base of the hood. I love the looks of that mod but all of the vendors marketing the new grill very explicitly state that the grill will not fit the Freightliner. Any idea why? Thanks in advance for any replies.
helimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,587 Times in 9,266 Posts
Default Re: grill replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by helimd View Post
... explicitly state that the grill will not fit the Freightliner. Any idea why? Thanks in advance for any replies.
The headlight pods and trim are different which changes the size/shape of the grill.

Changing the headlight pods to Dodge type will work, but the lower white body trim will also need to be changed also. (Scrapyard parts?)

I'm quite certain that at one time there were Freightliner type Mercedes grill replacements. Given the age of our T1N's it may take some digging to find one.

Personally I like the look of the Freightliner front end. The stresses aren't great on the grill. I've had success gluing added parts like perforated strap to the plastic assembly to restore tab like supports. A solder gun with flat tip can be used for DIY plastic welding. I use bits of plastic parts for filler material.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
helimd

Thanks, Aqua Puttana
I like the look of the Freightliner grill, as well. I just figured that, as long as I was planning on replacing the grill, I would try something that appears to be more readily available. However, I might have to try the solder gun trick on the mounting tabs.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,587 Times in 9,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by helimd View Post
Thanks, Aqua Puttana
I like the look of the Freightliner grill, as well. I just figured that, as long as I was planning on replacing the grill, I would try something that appears to be more readily available. However, I might have to try the solder gun trick on the mounting tabs.
I forgot to mention solid wire as a possible repair. I have twisted baling wire to form a loop which can then be further wrapped or otherwise attached to the plastic parts to provide a screw receiver/tab.

I have some monel baling wire from insulation jobs. Nice stuff in that it doesn't rust. I suppose even #14 or #12 solid copper wire will work to hold a grill in place.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 04-04-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
doug022984
Doug

if you like the freightliner grille, it might be worth a shot to see if your dealer can get one. I was able to purchase my replacement Freightliner grille emblem (the adhesive one that goes on the hood strip) direct from my Dodge dealership with the Dodge part number just about 2 years ago, so dealerships are still supporting the old T1N parts. I don't know if the 2002 is the same, but from my 2004 parts manual, the Dodge part number for a Freightliner grille is 5104507AA. You can also google that part number and find online OEM parts distributors that may sell them to get a price reference to check your local dealer against. Looks like it will be between 200 and 300 dollars.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:36 AM   #6
billintomahawk
'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner

Customized Freightliner grill using OEM parts. Chrome and Freightliner emblems removed.

Broken ribs glued back together and hung however(probably some zip ties).
No issues for 2500 miles and rough roads.

Benz logo from Ebay(zip tied in place).
Paint by Rustoleum and brush.
Front bumper restored with a used transmission fluid wipe down (tied in place with heavy duty zip ties through broken brackets).

Headlamps done with wet/dry 1000 grit, rubbing compound and Maguire's.
New wipers, new (from MB) upper air intake grill.

Save the pieces.

bill in tomahawk
Transporter 1 Neu 154HP
2500 140"WB, low top
Tank, the repurposed van
https://www.sprinter-source.com/foru...ad.php?t=76877

Last edited by billintomahawk; 04-04-2019 at 04:59 AM.
billintomahawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
helimd

I like the looks of that one, especially the blacked out grill. I might have to give that a go. Thanks, Bill in Tomahawk.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
StanUbeki

It appears that the 5104507AA grill is discontinued. Mine was vandalized beyond repair in my driveway by a wacko neighbor. I'm going to need to convert to the MB. I have the same L shaped trim around the headlights.
StanUbeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:18 PM   #9
ECU

Thanked 1,405 Times in 1,028 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billintomahawk View Post
Customized Freightliner grill using OEM parts. Chrome and Freightliner emblems removed.

Broken ribs glued back together and hung however(probably some zip ties).
No issues for 2500 miles and rough roads.

Benz logo from Ebay(zip tied in place).
Paint by Rustoleum and brush.
Front bumper restored with a used transmission fluid wipe down (tied in place with heavy duty zip ties through broken brackets).

Headlamps done with wet/dry 1000 grit, rubbing compound and Maguire's.
New wipers, new (from MB) upper air intake grill.

Save the pieces.

bill in tomahawk
I switched from Mercedes to Freightliner headlights and trim. I cut my Mercedes grill just a bit to make it fit. The mounting holes are all there. Mine looks about the same as this picture.