Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #31
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N

Thanked 2,032 Times in 1,312 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Swap - Stranded in Baja California Sur

Yikes!?

Given the tap on pin-15 (k-line for IC/ATC/Espar) and pin-7 (k- ECM) I think you’re looking at an old boost heater timer installation, or maybe a data logger? Risky, since the k-line electronics don’t support multiple “testers” on the wire (it ain’t a canbus pair!)

The bad news for you is that they don’t appear to have tapped the TCM k-line, which is the blue wire on the left, pin 11 (pin 16 is upper left) so the wire to the TCM connector is likely fine.

That said, there’s no telling what’s waiting for you under the driver’s seat or up behind the radio? The TCM/Radio k-line could have been unintentionally grounded during a hacked aftermarket radio installation? (that blue TCM/Radio k-line wire becomes a 20-awg yellow wire somewhere between the obdii plug and the radio connector)

Good luck, (and aren’t old vehicles fun?)

-dave
Nautamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nautamaran For This Useful Post:
Midwestdrifter (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 06:17 PM   #32
Rezenthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautamaran View Post
Yikes!?

Given the tap on pin-15 (k-line for IC/ATC/Espar) and pin-7 (k- ECM) I think you’re looking at an old boost heater timer installation, or maybe a data logger? Risky, since the k-line electronics don’t support multiple “testers” on the wire (it ain’t a canbus pair!)

The bad news for you is that they don’t appear to have tapped the TCM k-line, which is the blue wire on the left, pin 11 (pin 16 is upper left) so the wire to the TCM connector is likely fine.

That said, there’s no telling what’s waiting for you under the driver’s seat or up behind the radio? The TCM/Radio k-line could have been unintentionally grounded during a hacked aftermarket radio installation? (that blue TCM/Radio k-line wire becomes a 20-awg yellow wire somewhere between the obdii plug and the radio connector)

Good luck, (and aren’t old vehicles fun?)

-dave

Thanks Dave. I Installed the radio myself, Im gonna double-check the wires. Does it have to be absolutely plugged in ? Cause I dont remember having a speed sensor on the radio... Worst part is to access underneath the driver seat I have to take out my 12v fridge because the seat cant move back anymore and I dont have acces to the 2 bolts to remove the seat. Anyway, thanks again gonna check this out soon.
Rezenthel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #33
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N

No, there’s no need to have the yellow k-line attached to anything, so I’d just tape it off.

(I’m guessing there were oem radios somewhere that were fancier, with phone call muting and speed awareness. Presumably these features were configured with the DRBIII tool via this k-line? I have k-line log files from a StarC3 tool that was attempting a radio connection during an “All Modules” scan...)

-dave
Old 01-16-2020, 07:25 PM   #34
Rezenthel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautamaran View Post
No, there’s no need to have the yellow k-line attached to anything, so I’d just tape it off.

(I’m guessing there were oem radios somewhere that were fancier, with phone call muting and speed awareness. Presumably these features were configured with the DRBIII tool via this k-line? I have k-line log files from a StarC3 tool that was attempting a radio connection during an “All Modules” scan...)

-dave
I looked behind the radio, I have a yellow/red cable attached to the yellow of my radio. There is a blue wire attached to the antenna and a blue/white/red tapped. No signs of a yellow wire ?!
Old 01-16-2020, 07:55 PM   #35
Patrick of M
2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)

Fwiw many sprinters have a seat top that removes easily to allow access to lectrics below. There is a little latch on the front edge of seat, it allows the seat top to slide forward a 1)2 inch and be removed.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #36
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,587 Times in 9,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
Fwiw many sprinters have a seat top that removes easily to allow access to lectrics below. There is a little latch on the front edge of seat, it allows the seat top to slide forward a 1)2 inch and be removed.
Yep. The cardboard cover still needs to be removed, but that's just a couple Torx screws. (I changed those screws over to Phillips head sheet metal screws for easier access with a long screwdriver.)

Some pics are here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...2549#post82549

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 01-16-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #37
Rezenthel

Yea thanks to both of you I could access under seat. The tcm seemed clean, the two connectors were firmly seated. I could see the blue k-line gonna have to check if its in good condition up to the obd2.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:27 PM   #38
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N

I’m just going on the chart in the service manual... yellow, pin A2 “K-Line TCM/Radio”

If you unplug the TCM at module end, the blue k-line wire should have no voltage nor continuity to ground.
The test tool “pulls up” the line to 12 volts via a 510 ohm resistor, then the networked modules/nodes pull it back down (ground the k-line) to send bits.

-dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7FA1EC81-4D4B-4581-8C4C-B0AC4357B355.jpg (44.9 KB, 42 views)