Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:15 AM   #11
FishHog

Default Re: Water heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioN View Post
I've resolved the shower's waste water issue.

If you use a shower faucet that has a toe tap/diverter valve, the toe tap's output can be redirected into your fresh water tank.

That is what I did and it works quite well. I can just use my hand to feel the temp on the shower faucet so I know hot water is running to the shower head before getting wet, thus avoiding that slug of cold water that on demand heaters give you.

I have a surburban propane on demand unit vented through the side of the van . I went with it as its only a 3" vent hole as opposed to some unit that want a 9-14" hole.
FishHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #12
taildragger

I have tested and am installing a 3KW electric "true instantaneous" hot water faucet.

ADVANTAGES
- Hot water in three seconds
- TRUE tankless. Minimal mass to heat.
- No propane. No vents, pipes, holes in van, no fossil fuel fumes.
- Low cost. Cheap faucet ($35).
- Saves energy. On-demand energy consumption only.
- Simple. Connects with household 220VAC 15Amp wire. Easy cable routing.

DISADVANTAGES
- 220VAC 60HZ 3KW 14Amps required. 120VAC would draw 2x current.
- Lithium batteries required due to voltage sag on lead-acid batteries.
- Not UL certified. Made in China.

See https://www.ebay.com/itm/143365300306

FYI: Works on 60HZ power.

Last edited by taildragger; 01-16-2020 at 09:45 AM.
taildragger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taildragger For This Useful Post:
KDE (01-16-2020), sparkplug (01-16-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #13
taildragger

That URL may not have worked. See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Ta...A/254413152737

However, you may want to buy a 220VAC version to keep the current below 15 amps.

Last edited by taildragger; 01-18-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #14
john61ct

Is output temp adjustable?

Be curious to know consumption, using a totalizing wattmeter.

Say wH per gallon.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #15
taildragger

For details, see: https://youtu.be/Ly9qbCge-5o
Old 01-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #16
john61ct

video sucks

how about a spec sheet or manual on the HWS unit specifically?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:04 AM   #17
PaulDavis

I installed PrecisionTemp. It is probably the only thing on our van that I wouldn't do again. It was expensive and in the end largely useless. Not because of the PT itself but not entirely independent. My reasons:

1. We shipped our van to europe for 6 months and were "ordered" to remove the propane tank that ran the PT. So, 6 months without the heater ... no big deal. We just got used to it. Boil water for dishes.
2. Everywhere we stay for more than 1 night there's always a better shower option than the van shower. Whether it's a state park, a friend's house, a lake ... there's always a better option. We've used the shower 2x in 5+ years.
3. It easy fairly trivial to get super-heated steam out of the PT ... turn on hot faucet, get hot water. Shut faucet. Wait 30 seconds. Open faucet. Heat exchanger was still hot even if burners turned off due to zero flow. Ouch.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #18
Cthibault

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDavis View Post
I installed PrecisionTemp. It is probably the only thing on our van that I wouldn't do again. It was expensive and in the end largely useless. Not because of the PT itself but not entirely independent. My reasons:

1. We shipped our van to europe for 6 months and were "ordered" to remove the propane tank that ran the PT. So, 6 months without the heater ... no big deal. We just got used to it. Boil water for dishes.
2. Everywhere we stay for more than 1 night there's always a better shower option than the van shower. Whether it's a state park, a friend's house, a lake ... there's always a better option. We've used the shower 2x in 5+ years.
3. It easy fairly trivial to get super-heated steam out of the PT ... turn on hot faucet, get hot water. Shut faucet. Wait 30 seconds. Open faucet. Heat exchanger was still hot even if burners turned off due to zero flow. Ouch.
FishHog do you have pictures or more detail(write up?) on your hot water system. I am not quite decided yet on mine..
Claude
Cthibault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:17 PM   #19
warx

About that 3kW faucet; 10,000btu on-demand can only cope with 0.4 GPM. I see there are other 3kW units that are more of a straight in-line plumbed in device for undersink mounting. They all seem a bit iffy since for 120VAC they are rated at 10A (and fitted with regular 15A plug). Obviously not 3kW. Also on all of them the cable does not look like 30A either. That cable might be able to stand 30A for a few seconds before it starts contributing to the heating.
warx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #20
hippy
hardware modifier

I've installed a truma ultrastore in my conversion, it's gas and 240v AC. It's a 10 litre device that has an adjustable wired remote controller. It exhausts out the side of the van.

It doesn't take long ,only maybe 15 minutes to start getting warm and once it's fully up to temperature if you have both AC power and gas on then it can continually produce enough hot water for a good shower.

It's very tidy and well built, the only bizarre thing about it is if you want to drain it the hot water comes back out the cold fill point. This emptys it completely to winterize it.

Once it's up to temp the gas clicks off, the electric element is 800 watts and really speeds things up. It has a maximum temperature so it does not start boiling like a kettle

The only slightly tricky part of the install is the body of the heater I have mounted on a wooden plinth level with the floor in the van. Now the outside of the van is quite curved so lots of paintable sealant was used to build up the bottom edge.

Very reliable and super safe, before I installed it I blew out the flame to see how long it took to notice, it instantly refired the spark and lit the gas in milliseconds.
Totally recommend it to camper van conversion.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by hippy; 01-30-2020 at 07:30 PM.
hippy is offline   Reply With Quote