Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:39 AM   #11
alichty
2014 LTV Unity TB

Thanked 1,299 Times in 798 Posts
Default Re: Peplink Pepwave Surf On-The-Go Wi-Fi Router (SUS-AGN1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDavis View Post
Mobile satellite for individuals is (or was, last time I looked) basically a total nonstarter. If you wanted a fixed satellite install, where the company screws the dish to your house, there are some interesting options. But to get even 2G cell/mobile equivalent data rates is insanely expensive, and to get into the 3G/HSPA/HSPA+/LTE/... rates is almost impossible. Then there's the size of the equipment itself ... might work on a full bus conversion or some 40' behemoth, but not on a Sprinter.

what am I missing?
Can't say that you are missing anything at all. LTE is a much cheaper way for most of us to get reliable and secure data link in most locations. I trust the cell providers to do a better job of maintaining useful bandwidth than some RV park manager.

Brian is right about security - the typical RV park wifi network is a far cry from being even vaguely secure. I would never consider opening a link to a bank on such a network. Online shopping is questionable as well. I spent a lot of time engineering and building wifi networks before I retired and I will not even let my cellphone connect to a fully open network anymore. Once you have seen something like airsnort (readily available software) capturing a wireless session you will never view wifi the same. WPA2/WPA2-PSK are a minimum requirement.

Think carefully about some of the specimens that you see in the RV parks that allow long term rates. The tweaker community is sadly highly adept with identity theft tech.

Last edited by alichty; 12-09-2016 at 01:22 AM.
alichty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alichty For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 12:40 AM   #12
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Thanked 3,085 Times in 1,887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. View Post
FWIW, "Wireless Repeaters" (those things that grab a signal and rebroadcast it) have one very major disadvantage, whatever speed the Original wireless router offers is cut in half. Fine for really light use stuff, I'm talking email and static web pages (if you can find one, most places run a dozen or more scripts ~ this forum is better with just 4~5), but you probably won't be able to do anything that demands up and down at the same time (gaming of any sort, VoIP calling, etc...) And that's all assuming a non-congested access point to begin with.

Anyone who really, REALLY needs reliable internet connection should be leaning heavily on LTE at this point. I think I'd put Satellite ahead of open Wifi points too, especially if you care at all about security (not very smart to connect your device to an open network if you have Any kind of sensitive information on that device ~ we use a dedicated junk tablet with no personal info for open wifi). Just too easy for someone to be on the same network and collect data.
I am no expert, but to the best of my understanding, the claim that modern routers offering Wan-over-WiFi capabilities cut the bandwidth in half is not true, at least not if you pick the right router. It is true that inexpensive devices often have only a single radio, and so must share it between half-duplex "receive" and "send" operations. However, higher-end devices (including the current generation of the Surf SoHo) have what is known as "Simultaneous Dual Band" capability, which permits reception and transmission at the same time. It is true, of course, that LATENCY will be reduced somewhat, but not nearly as much as a satellite internet link--not by a long shot.

I agree that LTE is often the solution of choice. It works very well in many locations, especially with a MiMo antenna.

Last edited by avanti; 12-09-2016 at 03:40 PM.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:52 AM   #13
Ovrlnd_Trvlr
On A Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I agree that LTE is often the solution of choice. It works very well in many locations, especially with a MiMo antenna.
MiMo antenna? Link to a MiMo that would work in a Sprinter setup? Thanks.

Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com
Ovrlnd_Trvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:24 AM   #14
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Thanked 3,085 Times in 1,887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovrlnd_Trvlr View Post
MiMo antenna? Link to a MiMo that would work in a Sprinter setup? Thanks.
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...imo#post444714
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:35 AM   #15
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLMorris View Post
I have also put Wi-Fi router on my van. I was very happy. I have route between two cities. And I am owner of the van and driver in the same time. My route is about 4 hours and customers were really happy that there is Wi-Fi connection in van. After few routes customers said that password is wrong and internet doesnít work. That was terrible. I took the router at home with me, and they were right. I donít know why but the password has changed. Then I found out that there is a way to recover it with gpu. But mine is not that strong. Finally, I found crack wpa2 handshake online service which I used to recover the password.

Just about every router I have seen has a reset button, usually where you have to stick in a toothpick or similar into a hole. Hold for 30 seconds and it resets back to the factory settings and you can set it up again.

If you could crack the password online, it is likely the password is not strong enough. Search for password strength checker online. You should not enter your actual password, just a word or phrase with similar amounts of letters, numbers, capitals, etc. Maybe someone messed with it because it was easy to crack.

Did you change the administrator password? That is different than the password you use to connect. The default administrator passwords are well known by hackers.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #16
sparkplug

Having spent a decade in internet security I would like to point something out here.

This is a very old thread which has been resurrected by someone who joined very recently and who has the above as his first post.

Apologies to you DavidLMorris if you are a genuine person - however your name suggests you are an english native, but your post does not.

I would be INCREDIBLY wary of the link posted and would advise people not even to click it out of curiosity.

As marklg said, almost all routers have reset buttons on them and if they don't then go to the manufacturers website to find out what you need to do. Some will have instructions on how to re-flash the router or a tech support team who will guide you.

Walk away people. That link is not your friend.
elemental (01-16-2020), GlennR (01-22-2020), marklg (01-15-2020)