Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Dealer and Supplier List > Dealer Info, Reviews, and Experiences

Dealer Info, Reviews, and Experiences Got dealerships? List them here.

Old 01-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #61
CaliforniaStars

Default Re: Desperately seeking Bay Area Sprinter Mechanic!

I had some work done by Ben in Santa Rosa mobile mechanic. He has sprinter stocked with tools and parts and can do service calls. His experience and specialization on sprinters is very clear. He mostly work on HVAC systems now but also does sprinters.

Ben
+1 (707) 217-8250

2005 Dodge Sprinter
Get out there and do it
CaliforniaStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:11 AM   #62
michaelh

Thanks to all the previous contributors to this thread. I'm trying to find a competent, fair value shop.
We've had service at MB Fairfield and at MB Pleasanton. Both follow MBUSA's horrendous pricing guidelines. At MB Pleasanton, I was unhappy that MB said it would take 3 hours of labor to replace the differential cover, so they reduced that for me - most appreciated but still horribly expensive. MB Fairfield have been a bit of a mixed bag. They have done the routine services for us (at stratospheric prices) but the only non-routine thing they had to handle, they got wrong. Our check engine light came on, I filled the DEF but that wasn't it. They reset the DEF sensor and said it was good to go but within 50 miles the check engine light was back on. They got it in the shop again and said they replaced the engine knock sensor, which seemed to fix the problem.
They charge around $750 for the "A" service, so I won't be going back to either of these dealers as my "B" service is coming up.
michaelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #63
lindenengineering

Thanked 11,306 Times in 5,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelh View Post
Thanks to all the previous contributors to this thread. I'm trying to find a competent, fair value shop.
We've had service at MB Fairfield and at MB Pleasanton. Both follow MBUSA's horrendous pricing guidelines. At MB Pleasanton, I was unhappy that MB said it would take 3 hours of labor to replace the differential cover, so they reduced that for me - most appreciated but still horribly expensive. MB Fairfield have been a bit of a mixed bag. They have done the routine services for us (at stratospheric prices) but the only non-routine thing they had to handle, they got wrong. Our check engine light came on, I filled the DEF but that wasn't it. They reset the DEF sensor and said it was good to go but within 50 miles the check engine light was back on. They got it in the shop again and said they replaced the engine knock sensor, which seemed to fix the problem.
They charge around $750 for the "A" service, so I won't be going back to either of these dealers as my "B" service is coming up.
Trying to find a fair value shop/service is your goal.
OK This piques some interest as a provider of vehicle auto service.

So some primary questions because this is important as a consumer.
1) What do YOU consider is fair value charge out rate?

2) Do you know how a charge out rate is determined?

3) Using dealer "A" what was the quote horrendous charge out rate, you didn't specify?

4) Did you question why they charged 3 hours for a specific job which is 1,25 hours of book time. Did they have a legitimate answer?

5)Do you know why dealerships (any US dealership brand) are sometimes like chiropractors and have to have a go at the same issue several times over?

6)Do you know it takes between 70 to around 220 miles to show up a NOx fault?

7) Why is a mobile service provider cheaper than a dealer or other fixed brick & mortar repair shop?

8) Does a cheap and competent repair shops always go together?
How much would that factor affect your decisions to select a business offering a service? How much of a guarantee to do you expect to get from a specific repair/service establishment?

9) Have you ever asked a service provider if they carry liability garage keepers insurance in case they damage your vehicle while in their care ?

Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bay area, mechanic