Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

Old 07-13-2019, 03:27 AM   #31
Lostgriz

Default Re: Baby Shamu - 170 4x4

Awesome info Lynn! I am seriously considering skipping the flares that I was literally ready to order on Monday....hmmm. Great info on the heater. I gotta get that going ASAP, my kid needs the shower functioning. I am gonna have plumbing questions for sure....

Thanks!!
Lostgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lostgriz For This Useful Post:
gltrimble (07-13-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 12:33 AM   #32
VanGoSki

What a terrific build thread. I'm getting so much out of this. Your planning and execution is off the hook.

Just curious, what made you go with the Agile suspension kit over the Van Compass?
VanGoSki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VanGoSki For This Useful Post:
gltrimble (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #33
gltrimble

Default Baby Shamu - 170 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGoSki View Post
What a terrific build thread. I'm getting so much out of this. Your planning and execution is off the hook.
Just curious, what made you go with the Agile suspension kit over the Van Compass?
Both Van Compass and Agile make some great products. I have Van Compass skid plates and a rear step. Also looking at the VC front receiver hitch/winch mount. For suspension I have Agile front and rear.

For front suspension mods the auxiliary shock options from VC and Agile are similar. Agile does offer the coil over front suspension which I have. The coil over provides almost 2” of added lift/ground clearance. If Bilstein ever offers their HD strut on the 4x4 then I would consider that too.

If your van is on the heavy side like mine then I recommend you look into getting custom rear spring packs built specifically for your van weight. Available from Agile or any reputable spring builder. I think you will see a significant improvement in ride quality over the stock suspension.

The rear spring pack eliminates the need for the 4x4 OEM 3” spacer and still adds almost 2” to the ride height and ground clearance. If you also lift the front via the coil over then Agile installs a 1.5-2” shorter version of the rear spacer to “level” the look of the van. My sheet metal seam welds all sit over 18” off of level ground.

Agile was local for me and the install on the rear leafs is a stretch for DIY. The leaf packs are heavy compared to stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by gltrimble; 07-16-2019 at 06:33 PM.
gltrimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #34
VanGoSki

Thanks for the info and great pics as usual. My van-to-be is only a 144 and I plan to keep the weight down as much as possible while still having the important amenities. I travel off-road a lot want to maximize maneuverability. I was thinking I'd start with the VC kit with no lift and see how that goes. VC says this should accommodate 33" tires (like yours) which I think would be adequate based on previous experiences. Sounds like the Agile kit might be more than I need for my build.
VanGoSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:34 PM   #35
gltrimble

ESPAR D2

The install details and setup for the Espar D2 are fairly well documented on this forum. I will focus on my unique install.

I purchased the Espar D2 along with the 7 day timer, high altitude kit (HAK), and the Remote+ from Heatso. At the time I paid about $1200 for the bundle. Everything was delivered in two days. Heatso supplies you with a kit that has a surplus of parts.

I installed the D2 in the passenger seat. The hot air discharge is located in the lower passenger side corner. I replaced the plastic pedestal access cover with a vented version from Hein. The hot air plumbing with the angled discharge directs the hot air perfectly across the floor and down the galley.

The D2 was installed at a slight angle to sit flat on the floor and to provide adequate space at the cold air intake. The D2 shared the passenger seat base with my subwoofer amplifier.

I intercepted the auxiliary fuel supply going to my D5 factory Espar using a Dorman T-Connector. It took a little heat and multiple attempts to squeeze a small diameter rubber fuel line over the larger Dorman connector. The Heatso supplied plastic fuel line is very small but fit snugly into the rubber fuel hose. Hose clamps were added at every connection.

Dorman 800-177 Fuel T-Connector - 2 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMB4I62..._mKEoDbP5TDPBB

I mounted the fuel pump at the appropriate angle on the backside of the aluminum fuel fill shield.

I then sleeved some 1/4” poly tube over the tiny fuel line for added protection. This combo was then routed over the top of the fuel tank and the exhaust before entering the passenger seat base. I added a few feet of heat shielding over the fuel line where it crossed over the exhaust.

Heatshield Products 204009 Black 5/8" ID x 6' Brake Line Heat Shield Sleeve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GNJCXI..._ZREoDbCNTQNYG

I kept the combustion exhaust as short as possible exiting adjacent to the engine exhaust pipe. The combustion air intake was routed to an adjacent hole in the frame rail. This minimizes the chances of sucking in dirt, bugs, or water.

I supplied power to the D2 via the auxiliary battery power connection located in the driver’s seat base. The fuel pump power was also routed thru the driver’s seat base before exiting downward via the flexible wire boot.

The remaining wire harness was routed up the “B” pillar, across the roof and rearward, ending about 5 ft behind the driver’s seat where I would eventually locate my control panel.

Although the wiring diagrams were a bit confusing it turned out only 3 of the wires in the bundle were actually used. I was able to locate some Espar wiring diagrams that specifically addressed the install of the Timer, HAK, and Remote + in a 100 page install manual on the Espar website. Newer D2 models are reportedly easier to wire.

It took 3 attempts to start the D2, mostly to purge the air out of the fuel line. Each failed start required a power reboot to erase the error code. The third start was successful. So far the Espar D2 has operated smoothly in temperatures as low as 4F and altitudes up to 8000’.

The programmable timer and Remote+ have come in handy. I can start the D2 to pre-warm my van without leaving my house. The programmable timer allowed me to cycle the D2 late at night in an unattended van in sub-freezing weather. The Remote+ has all the same functionality as the 7 day timer.

A small bonus was that the Remote+ came with a small start button. I assume this was a backup start option in case the Remote+ battery died. I located the small button on an overhead panel above my bed. I can push the button to start the Espar. It defaults to the previous settings. Now I can warm up the van before climbing out of bed on cold mornings.

Last edited by gltrimble; 07-25-2019 at 07:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gltrimble For This Useful Post:
sprinterPaul (07-25-2019), VanGoSki (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 11:28 PM   #36
RVCuisineScene

gltrimble your build is awesome, how in the world do you keep the underside of your van sparking clean?
RVCuisineScene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RVCuisineScene For This Useful Post:
gltrimble (07-26-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #37
gltrimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCuisineScene View Post
gltrimble your build is awesome, how in the world do you keep the underside of your van sparking clean?

Pictures of underside were taken few months after van purchase. Still clean.

Old 07-27-2019, 05:09 AM   #38
sprinterPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gltrimble View Post
Pictures of underside were taken few months after van purchase. Still clean.

He doesn’t actually go anywhere. It’s all a show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sprinterPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sprinterPaul For This Useful Post:
gltrimble (07-27-2019), Onefin (07-27-2019), radair603 (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #39
gltrimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinterPaul View Post
He doesn’t actually go anywhere. It’s all a show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I took the paddle board and mountain bike out for a spin. Even went off the pavement. When I got home I spent hours scrubbing sand off the underside with my best toothbrush.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gltrimble For This Useful Post:
RVCuisineScene (07-27-2019), sprinterPaul (07-31-2019), Wyuna (07-28-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 04:42 AM   #40
gltrimble

MAXXAIR FAN

I installed a single Maxxair 7000K Deluxe fan with Remote in the rear factory location.

Maxxair 0007000K MaxxFan Deluxe Fan with Remote and White Lid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZOF09Y..._zb8pDb599C4RE

The single fan location has worked well. It is located between the living and sleeping areas. Ventilation can be controlled by opening the proper windows. Opening the driver’s side CR Laurence window provides a nice draft across the cabin. Opening the rear bed sliders provides a gentle draft across the bed at night with the fan set to 10%.

The fan is so quiet that I sometimes forget it is running. We woke up early one morning wondering why it was colder than normal inside the van. It was sub freezing outside. I realized we left the fan running all night.

The fan is also located adjacent to both the shower and the range top acting as an exhaust fan when needed. The roof top positioning allowed me to eventually fit six 100 watt solar panels with four in front and two in the rear. The rear panels sit at least 8-10” back from the fan so shading is not an issue.

Detailed install instructions and videos are available on this forum. I installed the fan directly on the sheet metal roof with a 1” wide x 1/8” thick strip of butyl tape. I did bevel the two sides of the plastic frame so that they would sit flat on the roof and not ride on the raised roof ridges. I fabricated some aluminum backing strips for the top and used 1/2” ply for the inside reinforcement. Construction adhesive was used to secure the interior ply to the roof.

GSSI Sealants Butyl Tape 1/8" x 1" x 50' Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CUBJ4PS..._R17pDbWXJ25E2

Before installing the fan I painted it using some titanium silver spray paint from Home Depot. It was a perfect match for my metallic silver van. Power to the fan is supplied by a dedicated circuit breaker. An insulated cover made by @SprinterPaul is magnetically attached to reduce noise and drafts.

Last edited by gltrimble; 07-30-2019 at 05:17 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gltrimble For This Useful Post:
Coolmaxt (10-28-2019), sprinterPaul (07-31-2019)