Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Pleasure-Way

Old 07-08-2019, 11:28 PM   #1
RobertFini

Default Battery Not Charging on Shore Power

Hi, all.

The house battery on our 2005 Pleasure-Way Plateau TS won't charge when on shore power; measuring the voltage at the battery shows 10.5 Volts, but I get 13.5 with the engine running. Any pointers on where I should look first (power converter, transfer switch, etc.) would be most highly appreciated. I've checked the fuses and circuit breakers at the power center, but all looks proper.

Best Regards,
Rob
RobertFini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
WinnieView1
2014 Winnebago View 24G

Default Re: Battery Not Charging on Shore Power

Check for tripped breakers on the power converter.
RobertFini (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:46 PM   #3
RobertFini

Awesome - thanks! I didn't realize they had reset buttons on them (didn't even realize they were breakers, thought they were some kind of funky fuses) until I saw this thread:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=40453

The one for the power sofa was tripped, and when I reset it everything was back to normal. I'm ecstatic that it seems to be fixed, but confused as to why the sofa breaker being tripped would drag down the whole system voltage.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 AM   #4
WinnieView1
2014 Winnebago View 24G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFini View Post
Awesome - thanks! I didn't realize they had reset buttons on them (didn't even realize they were breakers, thought they were some kind of funky fuses) until I saw this thread:

The one for the power sofa was tripped, and when I reset it everything was back to normal. I'm ecstatic that it seems to be fixed, but confused as to why the sofa breaker being tripped would drag down the whole system voltage.
There could be some loose wiring connections within the circuit in question causing it to draw too much power when active.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
bl_smith25

Quote:

Those are the DC breakers. Itís likely mislabeled and should be the converter breaker. Iíve run across one other Plateau that got the labels mixed up also, which is why in the other post I mentioned to reset them all. Thatís the typical solution if the 12V system doesnít work (with red key in and turned on) after unplugging or turning the generator off. Glad you got it fixed.
You might consider tracing the wires if you can (theyíre well grouped in wire loom) and if the labels are in fact switched, correct them.

B.L>
2006 PW Plateau
2005 3500 Cargo
2.6L 5cyl OM647
Brooklet, GA
bl_smith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bl_smith25 For This Useful Post:
RobertFini (08-14-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 01:31 AM   #6
RobertFini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl_smith25 View Post
Those are the DC breakers. Itís likely mislabeled and should be the converter breaker. Iíve run across one other Plateau that got the labels mixed up also, which is why in the other post I mentioned to reset them all. Thatís the typical solution if the 12V system doesnít work (with red key in and turned on) after unplugging or turning the generator off. Glad you got it fixed.
You might consider tracing the wires if you can (theyíre well grouped in wire loom) and if the labels are in fact switched, correct them.
The other confusing thing is that the sofa continued working while the breaker was tripped, and I was still getting 10.5 Volts from the converter, so something is definitely fishy. Also, running off the generator made no difference to the system voltage - it was still 10.5V when on shore power or generator power, but 13.5V with the engine running.

But thank you all for your assistance - I am most grateful!
Old 07-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
bl_smith25

Quote:
The other confusing thing is that the sofa continued working while the breaker was tripped, and I was still getting 10.5 Volts from the converter, so something is definitely fishy. Also, running off the generator made no difference to the system voltage - it was still 10.5V when on shore power or generator power, but 13.5V with the engine running.

But thank you all for your assistance - I am most grateful!
The sofa is hardwired to the batteries directly. It does not go through the red key disconnect like everything else.
The alternator will still charge the batteries even if the converter breaker is tripped. It just stops the usage of the batteries for all but the sofa.
The converter should be putting out way more than 10.5V, so you were probably measuring the battery, not the converter output.
If your batteries are that low, Iíd suggest you plug in for a week or so to give the batteries a change to recharge fully and deeply. Note if you need to reset the breaker after plugging in, go for a drive and let the alternator bring the batteries up to an acceptable level and then plug in and let the converter take over from there. The breaker is just 30A and the converter is 45A and if the battery is so low, the converter tries to give it all its got which is over the breaker limit.
I hope this makes sense.

B.L>
2006 PW Plateau
2005 3500 Cargo
2.6L 5cyl OM647
Brooklet, GA
bl_smith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bl_smith25 For This Useful Post:
RobertFini (08-14-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
RobertFini

That circuit breaker for the sofa keeps tripping. Any idea what could be causing it?
Old 08-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,700 Times in 5,629 Posts

Quote:
That circuit breaker for the sofa keeps tripping. Any idea what could be causing it?
I'm just watching from the side here, but as bl_smith wrote:
the label on the breaker may be *wrong*.

It could really be your generator-to-charger breaker.

Does the breaker trip only when you *run* the sofa, or all by itself?
Is the breaker tripping only when the generator is running?
Is the breaker tripping only when shore power is available?

What current rating is the tripping breaker?

A photo of your breaker panel would help other Pleasure-way owners perhaps figure out what's happening.

"Too much" info is far better (for remote diagnosis) than "too little" or "reduced to minimum".

As bl_smith wrote: if your house batteries are down to 10.5 volts, find *some other way* (separate wall-powered charger with battery clamps?) to charge them to "near or above" 12v to avoid overloading the built-in charging system. (which trips its breakers). A "trickle charger" overnight won't do it ... you'd need at least a 10 amp capable charger, preferably higher. For many many hours.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
RobertFini (08-14-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #10
RobertFini

It pops both on shore power and generator power, and when it pops I get no charging to the aux battery. It trips all by itself, never when operating the sofa. I'll see if I can scare up a charger. Should I disconnect from shore power while it's on the other charger? See attached photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190802_121912.jpg (78.6 KB, 21 views)