Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Jayco

Old 09-14-2016, 05:11 AM   #11
petersrc2

Default Re: Need Feedback on Jayco Melbourne 24L

Hi Guys
I'm "tuning in" a bit late on your subject ------- we just returned from a "shakedown run" on our (downsized) 2017 Melbourne 24K. It now has approx. 11,500KM (7145 miles)

I agree with Quality comments (for the price) -------We like the appearance of the woodwork, but, still miss the space, tile floors, corian countertops, etc. of our prior, 40' Monaco, Camelot.

Some "issues" we ran across included:
*water leak on dinette slide pre-trip ----- dealer fixed promptly.
*while enroute, experienced a water leak in the retracted, bedroom slide, during a heavy rainfall. Appointment to fix this coming Thursday.
*Still "getting used to" the higher level of Road, and Wind noise ----- probably 'C" type design?.
*windgusts buffet the motorhome quite a bit ---- may look for suspension options??? Any thoughts/ideas you can share?

I'd purchased/installed the UltraGauge, to monitor engine loads, and temperature; found that engine coolant temps ranged between 195 and 215 F. depending on ambient temps, and hills/grades.

All in all, this little Sprinter is doing what we hoped for, i.e. no need for towed vehicle, easier to park at GroceryStores, twice the fuel economy ----approx. 15mpg while bucking headwinds, crossing the Rockies, etc.

She's a Keeper, I think.
petersrc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #12
pfflyer

Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,220 Posts

Glad you had a good trip. We didn't notice the wind noise till we got the microwave rattling taken care.
For suspension options I installed a Hellwig anti-sway bar. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 As far as being able to stay in my lane when being passed by trucks and in heavy crosswinds I think this gave me more bang for the bucks. Here is one thread about the Hellwig but if you search for Hellwig in the blue bar above there are several more.
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...hlight=hellwig
I also installed SumoSpring bump stops in the rear. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Both are real easy to install.
The highest temp reading I noticed was in the low 220's F but it recovers quickly back down.

I hit 15mpg once. When I first got it I was in the 11-13 range after break in but that was cruising at 65-75mph. I have since slowed down and I am getting high 13's to 15mpg. I think I may need a computer update.
2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K Class C on 2015 Sprinter chassis
pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:53 AM   #13
vik351

Quote:
Originally Posted by authortim View Post
Thanks for getting back. I bought my 2015 Siesta new last year but found some uncomfortable issues. The shower was too small---and my wife and I are thin. The slideout didn't go far enough out to make a usable living area. Since we are going to be travelling a lot and staying in parks, the living area was important.

Have you had any problems with the small LP tank? We aren't going to run the generator too much, but 9.8 gallons seems limiting.
Interesting you say the shower was too small, I was wondering how dunnie and shower go together...

vik...

Last edited by vik351; 10-15-2016 at 02:07 AM.
vik351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #14
harmsal

Hi. Hey PFFLYER....how did you fix the battery tray? Mine will only extend a little ways and I cannot check the water in the battery. Any help is appreciated.
harmsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #15
pfflyer

Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmsal View Post
Hi. Hey PFFLYER....how did you fix the battery tray? Mine will only extend a little ways and I cannot check the water in the battery. Any help is appreciated.
It was the rivet head that holds the outer portion of the slide that was keeping the inner part from opening all the way. It ended up being a combination of prying the slide over the head and grinding it down some. You will have to disconnect the outer wires to actually check the fluid. I'm sure you know not to over fill them. My overage ended up boiling out and corroding the tray shut. I ended up freeing it again and I had to clean up the mess.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information about the chassis here and RV stuff that applies to our coach as well.

What model did you get?
2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K Class C on 2015 Sprinter chassis

Last edited by pfflyer; 04-20-2017 at 10:15 PM.
pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote