Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 02-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #51
lindenengineering

Thanked 11,300 Times in 5,743 Posts
Default Re: Swirl flap mechanicals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Teasing aside, what BG product do you use Dennis?
I am buying different stuff from all over the Earth, so country of origin is not an issue.
The only time I gave up was when oil filter housing mid seal for OM642 was available only on Chinese site and I figure out that with my lack of Mandarin, the transaction might get rocky.
Had to be my luck that after I sold the car those gaskets become available in USA.
I/We use the following.
BG ISC is dispensed into the actual dispensing tool then delivered under shop line pressure of 75 psi into the inlet tract aft of the turbo. In case of the OM642 we remove the air silencer and connect the air inlet adapter to the down pipe.
The down pipe adapter has a set of metered radial orifices which allows the engine to breath by a controlled amount when it is started up.
The dispensing injector is sited in the middle of the adapter and the orifices mix the atomized liquid as it passes on to the engine in a vortex flow.

Controlling all this an electronic module that has a two position switch allowing a 3 second or 12 second burst of injection every minute as the engine runs at a constant 1500 rpm.
Normally it takes about 20 to 30 minutes to empty the dispensing flask containing the qrt of ISC fluid.
All of this must be conducted when the engine is reached normal operating temperature with a prior engine warm up NOT done when its cold.
Now a precaution.
If the engine is really choked up we remove the elephant exhaust down pipe from the turbo , simply because all the crud coming off the engine can plug the DPF.
It can potentiality cause huge billowing clouds of acrid blue smoke when it really gets going.

A further step is to add a qrt of BG244 into the fuel tank PRIOR to purge out,
AND then add a qrt of BG EPR fluid to the ORIGINAL crankcase oil.

After the purge its essential to drain the oil in the crankcase and see what comes out. Often tarry like oil. Change the engine oil filter and fill with fresh 229.52.Then add BG DOC which as a carbon dispersant, and suspension medium as the engine runs in service towards its next oil change,
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
dharmasprint (02-29-2020), Kajtek1 (02-29-2020), manwithgun (03-03-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #52
Kajtek1

Went on BG ISC service page and they list only 1 shop in Las Vegas .
It is..... BigO tires.
Thanks Dennis for tips.
I see BG want about $400 for injection equipment, while I found US suppliers for LM stuff, who at $37 has injector included.
I have 3 of OM651 in the family between 130 and 260 k miles. None of them has problems, but sounds like LM miracle in the can can be good prevention.
Now what's the difference between injecting it before intercooler, or after?
Intercooler likes to collect lot of junk too, so it would be beneficial to get it clean too.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 02-29-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #53
manwithgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Now what's the difference between injecting it before intercooler, or after?
Intercooler likes to collect lot of junk too, so it would be beneficial to get it clean too.
I have not used either product but would advise against this. The intercooler is at a low (and slow) point and only gets contaminated with oil vapor/mist, not the exhaust soot. I believe that injecting before the intercooler would cause most of the atomized liquid product to drop out and simply pool up, never reaching the problem areas with much concentration. Maintaining air velocity is the key to carrying the product to problem area. The directions and application for both products are the same, to inject at the throttle body where the engine intake tract begins. This is the closest accessible point, just prior to where the EGR is adding the carbon fouled soot mixture and where the cleaning is most needed (from EGR injection pipe to valve seats).

I do find it funny that some people point and laugh at "$30 miracle in a can (LiquiMoly)" when the BG ISC product is praised and costs less than $30 per bottle, it's just the fancy atomizer that is a pricey investment. It has already been pointed out that they both have very similar chemical properties based on data sheet. Second hand word from the Liquimoly rep was that the main issue with US distribution is due to the ever changing aerosol VOC regulations. If the BG ISC product really is superior, I can't see why the product can't be applied with an alternative pressurized atomizing device, similar to a bug sprayer with fine tip. It's not like the BG device is a closed loop monitoring system that interfaces with ECM to actuate swirl flaps and fluctuate RPMs, or is it? Pulsed variable timed injections can be performed with the human finger and RPMs with the foot... It does claim to have shaped ports to help create a vortex to carry product further into the system though.
lindenengineering (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 03:33 PM   #54
Kajtek1

With spraying, it is similar to DPF purge sprayers, who cost a fortune from can manufacturer, yet lot of owners do it with garden sprayer.
So far US supplier of LM cleaner cancel my order due out of stock, so I am trying another one.
Thanks for additional opinions.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #55
dharmasprint

Keep in mind that the chemicals in these cleaners are quite aggressive and may melt/dissolve plastics. Hence the warning, do not spill on paint. You would need an all metal sprayer with compatible seals which might cost as much or more than the chinese knock off of the BG delivery system.

My pulsed injection nozzle is a repurposed cold start injector from a Volvo 240 engine......
dharmasprint is offline   Reply With Quote