Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be (although certain threads that are politically or religiously charged will be moved to the DZ).
SubForums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
acvr4

Default over 100 inches

Any of you Sprinter people in that stuff? All I can say is WOW

"But forecasters said heavy snow bands would return to Oswego County later Friday night and likely stall there again. The forecasts call for another 6 to 12 inches, pushing the seven-day total over 100 inches."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070209/...s/cold_weather
Old 02-10-2007, 01:48 AM   #2
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,819 Times in 836 Posts
Default Re: over 100 inches

When we were in Minnesota in Winter 2005, it was 6F. Driving from Minnesota to Chicago, we passed some ski resorts in Wisconsin at 1000ft elevation. I didn't think that was high enough in elevation to get good snow until I saw the temperature hovering at 4F. When we got to St. Louis, it was a nice sunny 33F. I never thought I would say "nice" and "33F" in the same sentence. Arriving at the mile high city (Denver), it was 72F.

When I read about people experiencing -35F, I just cringe. I thought that running to the restaurant in 6F temperatures was bad, but MINUS temps!?

But then we have earthquakes here. :D
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,863 Posts

Gee it must be tough at the top
Down under today in my little Island its a balmy "75 F" with a relative humidity of "51".
Just plain lazy today, enjoying the perfect day and the pleasures of life.
What can I say! "NO Balls Snow Balls
Richard Now Mush Boys
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:36 AM   #4
Old Master

Hey Seek...you talk like it's never cold in your area; have you experienced cold there? Reason I ask...between 1980 and 1983 I was stationed aboard a ship homeported in Alameda. As you know(?), that's adjacent to Oakland and right across the bay from SF.

One of the coldest nights I can remember in the Navy (and I was stationed in both Newport, Rhode Island and New London, Connecticut) was standing a quarterdeck mid-watch (midnight to 4 a.m.). I felt so sorry for the two junior guys with me that I allowed the petty officer of the watch to go into a closed compartment with the telephone and I let the messenger of the watch go down to the messdecks. I stood outside alone, watching the gangplank, with only the ghost of Jack London and an Arctic wind keeping me company.

That wind blew so hard off the bay that I had to lean into it, my bridgecoat tails stood out horizontally behind me, and wind-tears froze on my cheeks. I was so glad when my relief came that I could have cried for real. The wind off of San Francisco Bay in December...yes, I remember it well.

John
Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Hey Richard...

John, it gets cold here but not below 20F. I've been living here since '89 and the coldest average (from what I remember when venturing outdoors) was 33F. To me that's freezing (off by a degree )

I don't know what was wrong with this winter, but a blast from Alaska decided to come down and it was a cold 26 here in San Jose in January. At least I don't have to shovel snow.

The bay (San Francisco, Oakland, Alameda, etc.) can be warmer by at least 5 degrees during the winter because of the humidity.

If it ever gets into the minus temps here, I'm moving to Hawaii!

Seek
Old 02-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #6
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwan View Post
Hey Richard...

John, it gets cold here but not below 20F. I've been living here since '89 and the coldest average (from what I remember when venturing outdoors) was 33F. To me that's freezing (off by a degree )

I don't know what was wrong with this winter, but a blast from Alaska decided to come down and it was a cold 26 here in San Jose in January. At least I don't have to shovel snow.

The bay (San Francisco, Oakland, Alameda, etc.) can be warmer by at least 5 degrees during the winter because of the humidity.

If it ever gets into the minus temps here, I'm moving to Hawaii!

Seek
Every time I turn on CNN The snow gets deeper , people are freezing, cars are broke, don't run, and no service , or courtesy cars provided to pull you out of the hole, man Florida has cyclone dropping in out of season, just to rip houses to pieces again! As if the floods were not enough, New York's going under water, Manhattan style! try walking the Madison Square after the big thaw, and half the surrounding country side, is a white out left to right, East to West, and it's dam cold You're right I'm gonna' freeze.
Johns in his Igloo, havening sweet dreams of olden days! "With a bottle of johnny Walker" to keep him warm, cause his ships frozen to the ice burg up in the N/West bay, so no more Irish Jigs, "To dance upon the waves".

Alaskan Bears are homeless, cause the ice has melted away, look out folks you've got migrating bears, making it down to the promised land, make great front door step mats and I love a teddy Bear
Now LA's fine if you want to risk a quake, cool if your into to Rock and Roll, but I hear its on the move to solid ground, courtesy of mother earth.
And Seek's on the migrating trail to unstable ground, down onto Hawaii
To the ring of Fire, Looking for a spot that's turf-less of tribal warfare, Damed if I know why, when it has ever expanding real estate by the shores, after all real estate by the water front is Oh! so hot and the girls well
So Whats the weather like on the mid Western front?
Such a nice day down under just hit 71F with a 51 Humidity rating
He, he, Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom

Old 02-11-2007, 02:03 AM   #7
chaozz

so much for Global Warming
chaozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:01 AM   #8
Old Master

71 F., huh? Stop rubbing it in!!!

I hereby make a motion to have the Sprinter Fest in Richard's back yard...assuming he has one of those famous Aussie "Barby's". We can have the barbequed duck, barnacles in-the-shell, and dog stew made in the traditional Aboriginal style.
Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:18 AM   #9
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Master View Post
71 F., huh? Stop rubbing it in!!!

I hereby make a motion to have the Sprinter Fest in Richard's back yard...assuming he has one of those famous Aussie "Barby's". We can have the barbequed duck, barnacles in-the-shell, and dog stew made in the traditional Aboriginal style.
hello, Hello, Dog stew! Get so real please! Try wallaby stew with a few bush lemons thrown in for fun Now My OLD Master Ahoy there me mate' Its 3.08 on a lovely Saturday afternoon, just hit 79F with a relative humidity of 46 hot as hell under the sun but there is a sea breeze blowing down off Mt Wellington, so down to the beach to look at the birds, feathered and un feathered nice young things they are so plump and tender done just right,so look for a corner to-nite in the chit chat corner! "Your in for a surprise".
Now captain Pug wash and Master bates have the ship, to get you down to the warm sunny side of town ,and will you so drool with envy with what I have to post.
I think I could start a new tourism venture for wanna' be Australians, we has the ultimate life style. even though your Sprinters are half price
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom

Old 02-11-2007, 04:22 AM   #10
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Master View Post
I hereby make a motion to have the Sprinter Fest in Richard's back yard.
I second it.

I'll take a vegemite sandwich please. Never had it before.

Seek