Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 01-18-2020, 01:32 AM   #1
aarpskier
2017 LTV Unity FX

Default A New Propane Regulator Question

In anticipation of heading south next week, I recently installed the new Marshall Excelsior (MEGR-298) Regulator I have been carrying around for a year as a spare. Today, I plugged this PIC gauge https://www.amazon.com/PIC-LP1-254-5...9309337&sr=8-2 (with a male plug) into the auxiliary propane outlet behind the right rear tires of our 2017 FX. With the lever valve still closed, the gauge jumped from 0.0" to 4.0" When the lever valve was opened, the gauge jumped to 15.0+". With both burners of the propane stove on "High", the gauge dropped to 14.5".

Now, I know that the correct pressure without any appliances operating is supposed to 11.0". While 15.0" - 4.0" is 11.0", it seems that with the auxiliary outlet valve closed the gauge should still be reading 0.0", and go up to 11.0" when the valve is opened.

Both the regulator and gauge are new. There is no propane smell or sound of a leak with the auxiliary outlet valve closed, with or without the gauge inserted in the connector. I would expect the regulator low pressure side to be correctly set as I received it. So:

1. Is the gauge reading 4.0" with the valve closed normal, so that mathematically and actually I have the appropriate 11.0" of operating pressure in the system? If not normal, why is it doing that?

2. Assuming I actually have 15.0+" of system pressure, can I safely operate the various appliances (furnace, refrigerator, generator, stove), or do I need to have the new pressure regulator adjusted by an RV shop or propane dealer (I do not have the tool apparently required to do this)?

aarpskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,728 Times in 885 Posts
Default Re: A New Propane Regulator Question

I think what your describing is normal see this thread, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ight=Manometer. Here is a thread that explains how to adjust the regulators pressure if you still feel you need to adjust it, https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ight=Manometer.

Last edited by SSTraveler; 01-18-2020 at 12:46 PM.
SSTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSTraveler For This Useful Post:
aarpskier (01-18-2020), Danarbor (01-18-2020), HighPockets (01-19-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
RV2019
2017 Wonder MB

I also think the gauge will not read zero when you connect it to the BBQ takeoff. You will be compressing some air when you click it together. We are discussing INCHES of Water Column and not PSI. 4 inches of water = 0.144 PSI and could be caused by the compression that takes place. I believe that to get a real static reading, you should connect the gauge. Turn on and light the stove for a minute, turn it off and then see what the static reading on the gauge is.
RV2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RV2019 For This Useful Post:
HighPockets (01-19-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #4
hoosierrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarpskier View Post
In anticipation of heading south next week, I recently installed the new Marshall Excelsior (MEGR-298) Regulator I have been carrying around for a year as a spare. Today, I plugged this PIC gauge https://www.amazon.com/PIC-LP1-254-5...9309337&sr=8-2 (with a male plug) into the auxiliary propane outlet behind the right rear tires of our 2017 FX. With the lever valve still closed, the gauge jumped from 0.0" to 4.0" When the lever valve was opened, the gauge jumped to 15.0+". With both burners of the propane stove on "High", the gauge dropped to 14.5".

Now, I know that the correct pressure without any appliances operating is supposed to 11.0". While 15.0" - 4.0" is 11.0", it seems that with the auxiliary outlet valve closed the gauge should still be reading 0.0", and go up to 11.0" when the valve is opened.

Both the regulator and gauge are new. There is no propane smell or sound of a leak with the auxiliary outlet valve closed, with or without the gauge inserted in the connector. I would expect the regulator low pressure side to be correctly set as I received it. So:

1. Is the gauge reading 4.0" with the valve closed normal, so that mathematically and actually I have the appropriate 11.0" of operating pressure in the system? If not normal, why is it doing that?

2. Assuming I actually have 15.0+" of system pressure, can I safely operate the various appliances (furnace, refrigerator, generator, stove), or do I need to have the new pressure regulator adjusted by an RV shop or propane dealer (I do not have the tool apparently required to do this)?

Does your gauge have a pressure release? You could connect it up, release the pressure until it goes to zero, and then open the lever. You might still have slightly higher pressures if daytime warming has increased. Because we are looking at such minute changes in pressure, you also have to consider accuracy of the gauge, and temperature changes, plus there may even be slight variances in the regulator due to the fact it is just a spring, diaphragm and needle valve. For a $28 device I would not expect to see 100% repeatability. If you are + or - 10% from 11" WC, you are almost certainly in good shape. Heck my generator was still working when I had 7" (although a little longer starting with initially a few misfires). We are not taking measurements in a controlled laboratory. LOL.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:12 AM   #5
aarpskier
2017 LTV Unity FX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
Does your gauge have a pressure release?...
No pressure relief. Not like a good PSI tire gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV2019 View Post
I also think the gauge will not read zero when you connect it to the BBQ takeoff. You will be compressing some air when you click it together. We are discussing INCHES of Water Column and not PSI. 4 inches of water = 0.144 PSI and could be caused by the compression that takes place. I believe that to get a real static reading, you should connect the gauge. Turn on and light the stove for a minute, turn it off and then see what the static reading on the gauge is.
That's my thinking, too. 15.0" - 4.0" = 11.0". I did light the stove. The pressure dropped to 14.5", and did not go down to 11.0". So, supported by the comments of SSTraveler, I am going to conclude it is measurement issue, not a supply or regulator problem.

Thanks to all for the help!
aarpskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:39 AM   #6
Th3307

My “homemade” gauge does not move when I attach it to the BBQ outlet. Can’t imagine why it would move...very little compression from the fitting...but longer hose.
Th3307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:10 AM   #7
RV2019
2017 Wonder MB

Small pressure spread over the full volume of your hose would probably not move the gauge needle.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:15 AM   #8
RV2019
2017 Wonder MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarpskier View Post
That's my thinking, too. 15.0" - 4.0" = 11.0". I did light the stove. The pressure dropped to 14.5", and did not go down to 11.0". So, supported by the comments of SSTraveler, I am going to conclude it is measurement issue, not a supply or regulator problem.

Thanks to all for the help!
I'd say if you lit the stove for a minute, turned it off and got 14.5" then you have a good reading and it is 14.5. You would have lost the erroneous 4" reading/pressure doing this as the pressure would have equalized with the stove lit. Adjust the regulator down to about 12 and see if the gen starts and runs. If so, leave it at 12.