Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Airstream > Sprinter Westfalia

Old 11-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #11
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

Default Re: Freezing temps and grey water valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasaabi View Post
You're only talking 48 hours. . .
Depends on where Kiltym is staying to work through the holidays. This might not be the only freezing temps they see.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:48 PM   #12
old-geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltym View Post
Looking for opinions on our situation.

We are, oddly enough, in a full hookup campground while working at Amazon for the holidays.

It is going to freeze for the next 2 days here, and wondering what to do with the grey water valve. The black is inside, and should not freeze as we have plenty of heat, but the grey is outside, and will freeze. I am leaning towards leaving it open the entire time to avoid the valve having water sitting on/in it which will freeze and expand.... others here (with different rigs), suggested leaving it closed.

Anyone have thoughts on this?
First I must say our rig is a class C Winnebago View but I'm thinking our experiences should apply.

We recently spent several nights in Flagstaff with overnight lows in the mid teens.

I emptied our tanks and left the valves open (we have a composting toilet so both tanks are grey).

Both were frozen open in the morning but were undamaged and worked fine as soon as they thawed out. I'm quite sure the piping and valves would have frozen and busted had they had water accumulated in them.
old-geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #13
CaptnALinTiverton
T1N Westfalia

I agree with prior posts. I never hook-up except for electric. Not worth the work and fuss as well as water pressure and sewage fumes problems. I have a short (about 6 foot) hose I made up for quick water tank filling. I also installed swimming pool valve to allow separate G/W dumping. Limited liquid in B/W tank extends dump-out range significantly.

AL
CaptnALinTiverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #14
Wasaabi
Sprinter Westfalia #133

Al, please explain further. We can already dump the greywater tank separately by using just that lever. What does the pool valve do?
Wasaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #15
CaptnALinTiverton
T1N Westfalia

The pool valve is a T-valve installed on the horizontal plastic drain pipe between the G/W drain valve and the B/W elbow. The handle is reversed with an eye-bolt on the end that I can grab with the awning crank pole hook for operation. The handle is default in the horizontal position so that G/W comes out of the bottom of the T-valve when the G/W drain valve is pulled allowing drain into grass or drive-over dumps without the G/W going through the back hose. When B/W dumping, I pull the B/W drain valve where-in back flush to the G/W system is further prevented by the T-valve. Then I switch the T-valve which allows G/W to wash through the B/W hose as normally done upon G/W drain valve pull; G/W down discharge is blocked by the T-valve in this mode.

Again, most don't see the necessity of this but I minimize use of the B/W (e.g., fluids) whilst dumping G/W as needed without going to a dump as often and not going through the B/W hose for a cleaner environment.

I have posted about this before. Unfortunately I'm constantly on the road which keeps me from posting all of the pictures and write-ups of the many mods I have made.

AL
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptnALinTiverton For This Useful Post:
Wasaabi (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #16
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 4,770 Times in 2,705 Posts

An odd suggestion:

Get rid of the valve. My grey is under van with a 1" ID rubber hose discharge. I open/close the drain by removing/installing a 1" OD boat transom expanding rubber plug. Did not want a valve to restrict the flow.

Web Site: http://ortontransit.info

U-Tube Video: https://youtu.be/h5L6TZdy_y0
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:24 PM   #17
CaptnALinTiverton
T1N Westfalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite Dave View Post
An odd suggestion:

Get rid of the valve. My grey is under van with a 1" ID rubber hose discharge. I open/close the drain by removing/installing a 1" OD boat transom expanding rubber plug. Did not want a valve to restrict the flow.
Simple is good. How do you keep from getting it all over you when you pull the plug? How do you rinse out the B/W hose after you dump B/W?

AL
Old 11-22-2019, 11:11 PM   #18
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 4,770 Times in 2,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnALinTiverton View Post
Simple is good. How do you keep from getting it all over you when you pull the plug? How do you rinse out the B/W hose after you dump B/W?

AL
I just have a DIY conversion van.

Just move out of the way when you pull the plug. I dump it on my driveway on 5 acre property. The animals dump much worse stuff there. I first dump the grey tank. Put plug back in and then drain some of the left over fresh water into the grey tank with some Clorox. A couple of days of driving later I dump the grey water tank a second time.

Grey water from shower and sink do not have traps. The piping path is down past bottom of grey tank and then back up into the tank. Pipe path creates the "trap". No problems with smells. I do plug the shower drain with a rubber cork when not in use. Do not want small parts to fall into the drain.

Use a portapotti instead of a permanent toilet to eliminate the blackwater tank and hose.

Simple is better.

Web Site: http://ortontransit.info

U-Tube Video: https://youtu.be/h5L6TZdy_y0
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote