Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 Talk

VS30 Talk General Discussions related to VS30 W907 Sprinters.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:18 AM   #1
144x4

Exclamation Help needed VS30 wiring for electric step

Iím installing the amp research step on my 2019 sprinter and canít get the step to work.
The instructions from amp are for the 2018 and it looks like the wire colors/ harness changed. i need to tap into the passenger and sliding door sensors.
Has anyone done this on their 2019s? or could someone point me to were i can find de new wire colors/ schematic? for the 2018 you are supposed to tap into a withe and pink cable for the sliding door and blue green for the passenger from the harness near the passages door.
thanks in advance for any help.
Carlos.
144x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #2
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,690 Times in 5,624 Posts
Default Re: Help needed VS30 wiring for electric step

If you purchased the step from MB with the original build, they require the PSM (Parametric Special Module) to be in there for the connection to the Sprinter's systems.

Here's a 2007 wiring diagram (find the "white and pink"?), but i think the 2018 is different enough, and the VS30 is pretty much guaranteed to be very different. I expect that the "white and pink" wire is/was the "door ajar" button/sensor??

--dick
p.s. at least through the NCV3, MB didn't use "pink" as a wire color. "Red" yes, but not "pink".
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:14 AM   #3
144x4

Thanks Dick, yes Iím supposed to tap into the door sensors but the colors dont match.
It is an aftermarket step I bought from electricstep.com, which lists it as compatible with
the 2019s but the directions i received with the step are not up to date.
the van does have psm

Carlos
Old 08-13-2019, 12:01 AM   #4
Offshore Dan

Hey Carlos I am thinking of getting the same step for my 2019 4x4. If you can share when you find your solution I would really appreciate it. Hopefully the install turns out great.
Offshore Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 12:39 AM   #5
DCgasman

I would like information on the installation as well. Thanks for keeping us posted!
DCgasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:44 AM   #6
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,690 Times in 5,624 Posts

There has been a technical thread exploring PSM programming here in the forum,
but you might do well to at least ask MB what it would cost to:
(a) have the "electric step" option programmed into your PSM and
(b) ask where you'd then attach your step's wires.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:31 AM   #7
144x4

Turns out the amp research step wonít work on the 2019s, the information on their distributorís website (electricstep.com) listing it as compatible is incorrect. I spent 8 hours installing and trying to troubleshoot the problem but now need to uninstall and send the step back.
I will let you guys know if I hear anything new from amp research but for now i would stay away from purchasing a step from them for the 2019s.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
DCgasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 144x4 View Post
Turns out the amp research step wonít work on the 2019s, the information on their distributorís website (electricstep.com) listing it as compatible is incorrect. I spent 8 hours installing and trying to troubleshoot the problem but now need to uninstall and send the step back.
I will let you guys know if I hear anything new from amp research but for now i would stay away from purchasing a step from them for the 2019s.
I just spoke with one of the reps at electricstep.com and he confirmed the AMP Research steps will not work on the 2019s due to electrical issues. They have already changed their website. There was apparently some miscommunication between them and AMP Research about the compatiblity of the steps with the 2019s.

More to the point, he immediately said he would send a UPS label for me to return the product, even before I asked for it, and they will provide a full refund. I appreciate it when a company provides good customer service.
DCgasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DCgasman For This Useful Post:
cacaw (08-13-2019)
Old 08-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
144x4

DCgasman yes, they are doing the same for me and offered a discount on the future ramp purchase once they have figured out the wiring for the 2019s. Electricstep handled the situation the best they could IMO, seems like it was just an honest mistake on their part listing the step as compatible with the 2019s when it wasnt.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #10
cacaw

My 2019 with electric door and step also included the auxiliary battery and programmable PSM. Not quite sure why, maybe to save power when transit vans are parked and the door is repeatedly opened and closed.
cacaw is offline   Reply With Quote