Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Write-Ups

NCV3 Write-Ups Help other NCV3 owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:29 AM   #21
Medic

Default Re: How do you make panel templates for walls?

And for what itís worth, I did the wall templates from automotive headliner cardboard. Then I drilled and placed riv nuts. Threaded the bolts, hit them with a dead blow hammer against the headliner material, drilled the holes and got the template to line up perfectly. Transferred the template to the 1/2Ē plywood and literally 1 of 10 holes actually lined up. No matter how careful I was. I had to use a metric crap ton of time rounding/oblonging the holes to get the bolts to line up in the end. But when itís all said and done, it works and looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #22
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 4,668 Times in 2,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
And for what itís worth, I did the wall templates from automotive headliner cardboard. Then I drilled and placed riv nuts. Threaded the bolts, hit them with a dead blow hammer against the headliner material, drilled the holes and got the template to line up perfectly. Transferred the template to the 1/2Ē plywood and literally 1 of 10 holes actually lined up. No matter how careful I was. I had to use a metric crap ton of time rounding/oblonging the holes to get the bolts to line up in the end. But when itís all said and done, it works and looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One hole will always line up!

I do one more step. I bolt the template in place with the bolts. Holes do not line up exactly where I had the marks in the cardboard from the hammer hit. Some of the bolts are offset from the cardboard holes. After the cardboard is bolted in place I use a marker to indicate where the center of the bolts are located and use the marker locations to drill the holes. Still have to use a rat tail file to enlarge some of the holes. Use a flat washer on bolt heads to hide the slightly offset hole. On 1/2" panels with flathead bolts I install the panel with regular hex bolts first. After it fits with the regular bolts I remove the panel and countersink the holes where the center of the bolt is.

Web Site: http://ortontransit.info

U-Tube Video: https://youtu.be/h5L6TZdy_y0
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #23
SprinterKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry41 View Post
Resurrecting this thread, hopefully the ideas are still flowing. I hesitate to ask this while in the middle of a triple set of night shifts (foggy brain) but how do you scale these drawings up to be useful as templates? Waiting for my D'oh moment

Bump. I want to know the answer to this too.

Thank you.
SprinterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:23 PM   #24
hinesy

I use 1/8" hardboard it available at depot and Lowes cut my height and use a set of dividers(compass) to scribe the shape. The trick is if you scribing walls you have to hold the dividers perfectly horizontal so the shape matches height wise, also it will take a few tries to make it nice. I made a template from the hardboard almost three years ago and I am still using it. Nutserts are easy you can take a bolt the size you will use to attach the walls cut the head off and sharpen it like a pencil drill a hole in the wall that size then insert your sharpened bolt and tap it with hammer and you have a perfect center mark, it will take some time but that will offset the finished product.. Good luck!
hinesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #25
siradrad

Dura-scrim, two-sided tape and a sharpie. This way you can see through your template material. The dura-scrim does not stretch so you can get an exact template.
siradrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:31 PM   #26
Island Jim

I rip door skin to 1.5 to 2" strips at least as long as the longest side of the wall. Out line the wall cutting the strips to length using a small handsaw. Hold the up to the edge of the space using two side tape minimally and glue them together carefully with a hot glue gun. Reinforce your pattern with as many cross pieces as needed. Carefully remove the pattern from the wall and lay on your finish stock. Trace carefully around your pattern transferring the shape to your new panel, voila! If your carefull with your gluing and handling you can reuse your pattern many times, have fun with it.
Island Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #27
Island Jim

If the panel you are making has a curved shape cut a wider strip, as wide as needed to allow for the curve, use the spile method to transfer the curve to your strip, it might take a few try's to get it right. When happy with the shape hold it up to the curved edge with the rest of the pattern and glue into place!
Island Jim is offline   Reply With Quote