Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > The Competition

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, etc.
SubForum: Write-Ups

Old 07-01-2019, 01:59 AM   #21
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,690 Times in 5,624 Posts
Default Re: Any opinions of recent sprinters versus Nissan NV 2500 (or thereabouts)?

... and "8" is Argentina (at least for Sprinters)

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:39 PM   #22
slem

Default Re: Any opinions of recent sprinters versus Nissan NV 2500 (or thereabouts)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasseye View Post
Frito's total fuel costs have just now exceeded his $20K purchase price. 150K miles in ten years and a little over 6K usg out the tailpipe.

Repair costs have totaled less than $2K, much of which was an AC rad emergency-installed in Las Vegas.

Other than that, consumables and wear items. See my signature.
Thank you for the link showcasing your exceptional work.
slem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #23
Bobnoxious

Thanked 4,940 Times in 3,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Tour View Post
Unless the first digit of the VIN is. "J", it's not a Japanese vehicle.

Conversely, if the first digit of the VIN is. "1", then it was made in the U.S.A.

...and "W" is Germany, and "Z" is Italy.
Smooth Operator, only with respect to manufacturing. Still designed by JAPANESE, thus JAPANESE. Same for Sprinters made in America, still technically considered German. American cars are GARBAGE.
Bobnoxious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #24
The Grand Tour

You think American cars wearing Japanese branding are of higher build quality than Japanese cars built in Japan?
The Grand Tour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #25
red_johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski0224 View Post
Until 2019 in the USA, the choice of a Mercedes Sprinter with a gasoline engine has not existed. Diesel was the only choice, with a 4 cylinder option for a couple of years.

Yes, there are maybe 10 2008/2009 Dodge Sprinters with gasoline engines.

I suspect that many new USA Mercedes Sprinter buyers will choose the gasoline engine vs the V6 diesel. If the 4 cylinder diesel makes a comeback, who knows.

I would have a hard time buying another vehicle with a diesel engine... and keeping it beyond the emissions warranty timeframe. That said, I am intrigued by the upcoming Transit Connect that has an available diesel engine....
I am looking at getting the gas engine. Currently have a 2014 passenger van with the V6. The update of the 2019 is just too good to pass up. Many features that we added to our van is now available in factory form. Additionally, the various nannies that are available seem like all great safety features. I am just waiting to find out what the average gas mileage is going to be on the passenger vans before I switch.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:45 AM   #26
danski0224

I'd be really surprised if the gasoline Sprinter engine MPG is 17... even 15 around town. Babying it.

A Dodge Grand Caravan with the V6 won't do 20 MPG around town, the Ford Transit Connect is now the most fuel efficient non hybrid minivan and it has a small 4 cylinder. I believe the Transit Connect is rated at 24.

No DPF, DEF, NOx emissions problems though :)
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:50 AM   #27
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski0224 View Post
I'd be really surprised if the gasoline Sprinter engine MPG is 17... even 15 around town. Babying it.

A Dodge Grand Caravan with the V6 won't do 20 MPG around town, the Ford Transit Connect is now the most fuel efficient non hybrid minivan and it has a small 4 cylinder. I believe the Transit Connect is rated at 24.

No DPF, DEF, NOx emissions problems though :)
For MPG's, are you taking in consideration that the MB is turbo, and the others not ?
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #28
Jazzbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Tour View Post
If you attended public schools, I'd like to file felony theft charges for my tax dollars.

You will NEVER make back the additional expense of purchasing a Mercedes with a diesel.
Indeed- I was only looking at fuel costs, not repair... !
Jazzbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #29
red_johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrioN View Post
For MPG's, are you taking in consideration that the MB is turbo, and the others not ?
And that is my problem right now. I cant find any data on MPG on the little turbo 4 banger. I feel it should be hitting in the 20's (low end) but until I see hard data I am not going to pull the trigger. Now I know weight and gearing play a huge role in the final MPG as well as driving habits but I see what the newer Camaros are getting in their turbo 4s and its impressive.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #30
Jazzbones

hmm, I was just using the posted mpg I've been seeing online. Wouldn't that factor in the turbo aspect?
Jazzbones is offline   Reply With Quote