Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Dealer and Supplier List > Supplier Info, Reviews, and Experiences

Supplier Info, Reviews, and Experiences Got suppliers? List them here.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
CustomSpooling
Custom ECU tuning.

Default Re: CustomSpooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkinghorse43 View Post
Maybe you can't see it, but if there is no EGR flow, then NOX will be higher. If no EGR, the exhaust will smell different; like getting a whiff of the fume from an open bottle of concentrated nitric acid.
There is EGR.

Why Delete your DPF?

(More MPG, More BHP, More Torque, engine&turbo life prolonged, Solution for BIO-Fuel usage, No more DPF regen, No more diesel diluting engine oil, No more DPF sensor errors, No more Clogged DPF)
CustomSpooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 PM   #12
glas1700

I had my CA emission test done last week and it differs somewhat from your description. Maybe it was the first Sprinter the tester had ever done, not sure. He didn't do a test for exhaust smoke, but did connect his test equipment to the OBDII port and let the engine idle for the test. He didn't appear to have a clue about how to proceed because he called me over to let him know about all of the emission equipment that's installed, so he could mark it as passed on his screen.

The entire test makes no sense except to generate income for the test facility and the state.

Byron
07 Navion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukepilot View Post
I'll take a crack at answering your questions since I also live in California.

Presently, emissions testing for light duty diesels in California is pretty basic and is required at 2 year intervals. They do a visual check to identify any aftermarket parts that could affect emissions, they look to see if the emissions controls are intact, they look at the dash to see if the check engine light is on, and they do a smoke test by backing your van up against a white wall to see how much smoke is emitted when they snap the throttle open. They do not test/analyze tailpipe emissions, they do not hook up the Sprinter to a scanner, and they do not test individual emission control components.
glas1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #13
dukepilot
Custom Spooling USA

Sounds like your tester is not familiar with the protocol as documented by the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR). Here is a link to their training curriculum http://bartraining.articulate-online...ge=player.html

If a log-in page appears after clicking the link, just insert any name and press enter. You can even take a quiz at the end and if you pass, you can print your own certificate of completion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glas1700 View Post
I had my CA emission test done last week and it differs somewhat from your description. Maybe it was the first Sprinter the tester had ever done, not sure. He didn't do a test for exhaust smoke, but did connect his test equipment to the OBDII port and let the engine idle for the test. He didn't appear to have a clue about how to proceed because he called me over to let him know about all of the emission equipment that's installed, so he could mark it as passed on his screen.

The entire test makes no sense except to generate income for the test facility and the state.

Byron
07 Navion
2008 144" NCV3 HiTop, 3.0 CRD OM642, Performance/Emissions Tune by CustomSpooling, Progressive Water/Methanol Injection, 3.92 Axle, Koni Shocks, 235/85-16 Cooper S/T Maxx Tires, Kicker Speakers/10" Sub Woofer/Boss 800 watt amp

If it causes trouble, delete it! If you want improved reliability, performance and economy, get a Customized Tune for your Sprinter! Contact peter@customspooling.com or go to www.customspooling.com and visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/customspoolingusa
dukepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dukepilot For This Useful Post:
glas1700 (08-04-2011)
Old 08-04-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,082 Times in 5,895 Posts

In Washington state, the "full sniff" versus SNAP test decision fir diesels is based upon GVW.
The flip-point is 8500 gross, so even my 118" Passenger (8550) gets the SNAP.
...but they do stick the probe up the pipe after the SNAP, and my report card listed a few numbers.
(they did not go through the full rev-and-hold for the sniffing portion)

They did *not* require OBD connection, but it was an option for detecting RPM
(they tried (and failed) to get it through the cigarette socket?? Maybe for gasoline, but that wouldn't work for diesel)

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
dukepilot
Custom Spooling USA

Not surprising that different States have different requirements. In California, the mandated test equipment apparently does not work on late model OBD2 diesels. Personally, if I have to be subjected to testing, I like the way California does it. Makes it easy to comply

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
In Washington state, the "full sniff" versus SNAP test decision fir diesels is based upon GVW.
The flip-point is 8500 gross, so even my 118" Passenger (8550) gets the SNAP.
...but they do stick the probe up the pipe after the SNAP, and my report card listed a few numbers.
(they did not go through the full rev-and-hold for the sniffing portion)

They did *not* require OBD connection, but it was an option for detecting RPM
(they tried (and failed) to get it through the cigarette socket?? Maybe for gasoline, but that wouldn't work for diesel)

--dick
2008 144" NCV3 HiTop, 3.0 CRD OM642, Performance/Emissions Tune by CustomSpooling, Progressive Water/Methanol Injection, 3.92 Axle, Koni Shocks, 235/85-16 Cooper S/T Maxx Tires, Kicker Speakers/10" Sub Woofer/Boss 800 watt amp

If it causes trouble, delete it! If you want improved reliability, performance and economy, get a Customized Tune for your Sprinter! Contact peter@customspooling.com or go to www.customspooling.com and visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/customspoolingusa
Old 08-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
wildimaginations
Wild Imaginations

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukepilot View Post
I'll take a crack at answering your questions since I also live in California.

The answer to your first question is yes. If you return to the original ECU settings, you must reinstall your DPF or your Sprinter will blow black smoke when it tries to regenerate the DPF. You will get numerous error codes as well. You can also get a CustomSpooling tune and keep the DPF intact. In fact CS has told me that he can produce a tune with more power if the DPF is intact.

Presently, emissions testing for light duty diesels in California is pretty basic and is required at 2 year intervals. They do a visual check to identify any aftermarket parts that could affect emissions, they look to see if the emissions controls are intact, they look at the dash to see if the check engine light is on, and they do a smoke test by backing your van up against a white wall to see how much smoke is emitted when they snap the throttle open. They do not test/analyze tailpipe emissions, they do not hook up the Sprinter to a scanner, and they do not test individual emission control components.

As for your last question, it depends on what type of service/warranty work is needed and the relationship you have with your dealer. For routine maintenance, it should not be an issue.

Cool. But when I decide to do a CS tuning with the DPF intact, there's still the possibility of it clogging up, correct? The ECM will probably tell me that anyway.

Actually, I'm looking for a tune to maximize fuel economy more than having additional power. The power in the van is just fine. What's the most mpg can I expect from this tune? Is 28-30 mpg possible? Would it be better with the DPF delete?
Old 08-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
dukepilot
Custom Spooling USA

Wildimaginations, I'm also in the bay area, if you want, we can meet somewhere in the Bay area and you can drive my Sprinter with the CS tune. Also, check your PMs as I have sent you some additional info in response to your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildimaginations View Post
Cool. But when I decide to do a CS tuning with the DPF intact, there's still the possibility of it clogging up, correct? The ECM will probably tell me that anyway.

Actually, I'm looking for a tune to maximize fuel economy more than having additional power. The power in the van is just fine. What's the most mpg can I expect from this tune? Is 28-30 mpg possible? Would it be better with the DPF delete?

Old 08-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 4,769 Times in 2,705 Posts

I am also in the Bay Area and would like to be included.

Web Site: http://ortontransit.info

U-Tube Video: https://youtu.be/h5L6TZdy_y0
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #19
flman
Flat Earther

Thanked 4,932 Times in 3,796 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glas1700 View Post

Byron
07 Navion
DING DING DING!!!!

Right that is the means of the EPA and CARBs existence, $revenue$. Do you think they really care about the environment whole heartedly, or their pay checks?
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #20
dukepilot
Custom Spooling USA

Dave, sent you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite Dave View Post
I am also in the Bay Area and would like to be included.