Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 10-09-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
Shuga

Default Anyone not have a commercial plate? NY...

Hi guys, quick question that has probably already been talked about but I canít seem to find the answer to. I am looking into buying a 07-16 Sprinter van. I live in NY on LI. After doing some research I I see that most Sprinter vans have commercial plates. Any way around this? I really prefer to not have commercial tags on the van as I canít park it everywhere I would like. I am looking at the Cargo version. I would also consider getting a passenger if I could take the seats out.
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
ricracer16

Default Re: Anyone not have a commercial plate? NY...

Hey Shuga,

I'm in Woodhaven Queens and have regular passenger plates but my van crew cab with windows behind drivers and passenger sides. It also has a bench seat and no rear windows on rear doors. It's not a problem as long as you can get those windows behind the driver's side and a bench seat. I have never been hassled police about it. I am always on the parkways around the city as well with zero issues.
ricracer16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,941 Times in 8,860 Posts

Both my T1N cargo and the passenger vans have passenger plates.

From another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Everyone really needs to check with their jurisdiction.

In California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprinterSnale View Post
Windows are not a defining factor of an RV. ...
In New York State.

They take a different approach. They specifically will not inspect your vehicle and help you to determine the classification. (Welcome to NY.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYS DMV
Vehicle modifications and registration class

Modifications to a vehicle can affect its registration

Part 106 of DMV Regulations describes the vehicles that are registered in the commercial class and in the passenger class. Part 106 also describes how some modifications that you make to your vehicle can affect the correct registration class of your vehicle. A description of the modifications appears below. Each description includes a reference to the DMV Regulations.

Important: The DMV cannot examine your vehicle to determine the correct registration class. You must determine the correct registration class for your vehicle.

Modifications that change a registration from 'Passenger' class to 'Commercial' class

Cars (Part 106.2 (e)) - you can register it in the 'Commercial' class if all the seats behind the driver are removed. Instead of the seats, you must install a permanent box or permanent rack to carry cargo.

Station Wagons and Vans (Part 106.2 (f)) - you can register it in the commercial class if all the seats and all the seat fittings behind the driver are removed completely.

Modifications that change a registration from 'Commercial' class to 'Passenger' class

Vans (Part 106.3 (d)) - you can register it in the 'Passenger' class if the van has

at least one side window behind the driver, and
at least one seat or set of seat fittings that is installed behind the driver, or camping equipment that is installed behind the driver.

'camping equipment' indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle

if this equipment is removed and you use the van, you must register the van as a commercial vehicle

Pick-up Trucks (Part 106.6 (b) and (c)) - you can register it in the passenger class if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight.

If your modified or unmodified pick-up truck has an unladen weight less than 6,001 lbs., you can register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:

the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements
the pick-up is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes

If your modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., you can register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:

the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed
the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed 1'

NOTE: These modifications must be permanent. If you use the pick-up truck without the required modifications, then you must register it in the commercial registration class.
A window behind the driver isn't optional for passenger class. Given the "or" my interpretation is that a window is not necessary for a camper. So in that case similar to California for an RV. NYS apparently doesn't have an RV class.

I recall mention that some California DMV regulations are dependent upon specific locales. (Emissions related, not commercial/passenger though.)

vic
If you travel the NYS Thruway I90 they hit you with big truck tolls regardless of the plate.

NYS Thruway Toll Rates Unfair to Euro Vans
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75199

I took a few swings at that that windmill, but decided to not be a Don Quixote.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:24 PM   #4
Shuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricracer16 View Post
Hey Shuga,

I'm in Woodhaven Queens and have regular passenger plates but my van crew cab with windows behind drivers and passenger sides. It also has a bench seat and no rear windows on rear doors. It's not a problem as long as you can get those windows behind the driver's side and a bench seat. I have never been hassled police about it. I am always on the parkways around the city as well with zero issues.

Thank you for this helpful info. Do you know if you need two windows or just one? Iím not really worried about getting pulled over do to the plates. Iím more worried that If I have to leave it on the street at night that a neighbor will call and have it ticketed.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
Shuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Both my T1N cargo and the passenger vans have passenger plates.

From another thread.

If you travel the NYS Thruway I90 they hit you with big truck tolls regardless of the plate.

NYS Thruway Toll Rates Unfair to Euro Vans

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75199

I took a few swings at that that windmill, but decided to not be a Don Quixote.

vic

This answered so many of my questions. Thank you very much. I wonít really be going through tolls with it, itíll pretty much stay on LI as thatís where my work resides out of.