Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Winnebago / Itasca

Winnebago / Itasca Itasca Navion, Winnebago View.

Old 10-28-2019, 01:19 AM   #1
sajohnson
'09 View/08 3500 chassis

Default Coach door latch squeak permanent fix

The coach door latch seems to squeak on many different rigs. It is a common concern/complaint.

Our View is no different. Like many owners, we had been wrapping the striker bolt with tape. We've tried a variety of types of tape and none of them last very long.

We mentioned this to some relatives (who are also RVers) and they came up with a great idea:

The striker bolt is 1/2" diameter -- actually a bit smaller, maybe 0.498"

They had a union/coupling for copper pipe was exactly 1/2" I.D.

The coupling had a little 'dimple' inside so that when used to join 2 sections of pipe, they both are inserted an equal distance. That dimple had to be drilled out with a 1/2" bit.

The O.D. of the coupling was too great for the latch clasp -- by about 0.020" -- so we turned it down by sliding it onto a 1/2" bolt and then securing it with a nut (so it would not slip). With the coupling firmly captured between the bolt head and the nut, we put the end of the bolt in a variable speed cordless drill. One person held the drill and a second used either a file or Emory cloth to remove copper from the coupling. The thickness was checked periodically with a caliper.

When it got close we checked to see if it would fit in the latch clasp.

The final check was to reinstall the striker bolt with the coupling on it. The latching action was just a bit too snug, so we took another 0.002" off. It's now perfect! Smooth, firm latching with little effort -- no movement, no squeaks.

Note: The coupling can be reversed if it ever wears excessively.

See the image below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-DSCN0312.jpg (35.6 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by sajohnson; 10-28-2019 at 03:50 AM. Reason: typo
sajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sajohnson For This Useful Post:
ArtistWithAView (10-28-2019), bayleysview (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 02:51 AM   #2
Philip53
2017 Winnebago Navion

Default Re: Coach door latch squeak permanent fix

Thanks for the info. Strangely enough, my Navion door had a bunch of rattles, but none (so far) from the latch assembly. Good info for the future though--nice fix.
Philip53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:48 AM   #3
sajohnson
'09 View/08 3500 chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip53 View Post
Thanks for the info. Strangely enough, my Navion door had a bunch of rattles, but none (so far) from the latch assembly. Good info for the future though--nice fix.
You're welcome!

I see you have a 2017 -- I wonder if Winnebago finally changed the striker bolt to one with a sleeve/bushing on it, like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....TL._SX425_.jpg

Have you noticed what yours looks like?

I believe our striker bolt had some sort of thin plastic coating on it originally, so it was quiet at first, but then developed the loud, obnoxious squeak.

BTW -- for anyone who does have this problem, it may be possible to find an off-the-shelf striker bolt with a bushing that would work. I haven't done a search.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:07 PM   #4
Mike DZ
2016 View 24V (2015 3500)

Nice work.

For those that don't have the metal work skills, I backed into another solution that may be helpful. I used the electric tape fix previously, replacing as necessary. But recently, I ran 3M tape backed D door seal on the jamb opposite of the latch where it is compressed by the door when closed. I ran this nearly the full length of the jamb. The compressed door seal pushes the latch against the striker bolt and generally reduces door vibration. It isn't as solid as a copper sleeve, but it reduces the rattle / squeak by 90+%. One complication was that the screen door is given a little room to jiggle which created a different noise, but a short piece of D seal between the doors stopped that.

Caution - I only have a few thousand miles on the D seal fix, so don't know if it is permanent. However, it is not subject to friction wear like the electric tape.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Shape-Seal-.../dp/B0733SBCRN
ArtistWithAView (10-28-2019), sajohnson (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #5
bayleysview

SA, I did a quick search and found a Dorman door bushing, 15mm O.D.,12mm I.D. Are these deminsions close to where you ended up?
bayleysview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
Notbusdrvr

I used the door gasket solution similar to Mike DZ. In addition to the extra gasket on the door itself, I added gasket to the inside of the screen door.

Between the two . . . mostly silent.

Mine is a '17 View, and there is no gasket or wear surface on the striker pin. Our door was quiet until our last trip, so perhaps there was one that came off during our trip.

After reading this thread, I am thinking about adding some thin uhmw plastic tape to the striker. I have some that I have used for other purposes to reduce wear and friction.
Notbusdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Notbusdrvr For This Useful Post:
sajohnson (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 08:14 PM   #7
sajohnson
'09 View/08 3500 chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayleysview View Post
SA, I did a quick search and found a Dorman door bushing, 15mm O.D.,12mm I.D. Are these deminsions close to where you ended up?
Any bushing would have to be very close to 0.500" I.D. and 0.520" O.D. (0.010" wall thickness).
Old 10-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #8
sajohnson
'09 View/08 3500 chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbusdrvr View Post
I used the door gasket solution similar to Mike DZ. In addition to the extra gasket on the door itself, I added gasket to the inside of the screen door.

Between the two . . . mostly silent.

Mine is a '17 View, and there is no gasket or wear surface on the striker pin. Our door was quiet until our last trip, so perhaps there was one that came off during our trip.

After reading this thread, I am thinking about adding some thin uhmw plastic tape to the striker. I have some that I have used for other purposes to reduce wear and friction.
I was unaware of UHMW tape. That sounds like a good alternative. It's bound to last longer than electrical tape and can easily be replaced (I assume).

Creating the copper striker bolt bushing was not difficult, just a bit time consuming. No special tools are needed, just a 1/2" chuck drill; 1/2" bit; 1/2" bolt w/nut; and a file and/or Emory cloth. A caliper is helpful but not req'q. It might take a half hour to 45 min. with periodic fitment checks.

Still, for those who aren't so inclined or do not want to take the time, the UHMW tape (probably 3M) sounds good. Had I been aware of it before I might never have bothered to make the copper bushing.

If you have time, would you please post a photo or two of the gasket you mentioned?
Old 10-28-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
sajohnson
'09 View/08 3500 chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike DZ View Post
Nice work.

For those that don't have the metal work skills, I backed into another solution that may be helpful. I used the electric tape fix previously, replacing as necessary. But recently, I ran 3M tape backed D door seal on the jamb opposite of the latch where it is compressed by the door when closed. I ran this nearly the full length of the jamb. The compressed door seal pushes the latch against the striker bolt and generally reduces door vibration. It isn't as solid as a copper sleeve, but it reduces the rattle / squeak by 90+%. One complication was that the screen door is given a little room to jiggle which created a different noise, but a short piece of D seal between the doors stopped that.

Caution - I only have a few thousand miles on the D seal fix, so don't know if it is permanent. However, it is not subject to friction wear like the electric tape.

https://www.amazon.com/D-Shape-Seal-.../dp/B0733SBCRN
Hi Mike,

Great idea, thank you! I may 'double up' and use that as well.

I have the same request for you as I had for Notbusdrvr -- when you have time, would you please post a photo of the installed foam?