Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Serenity

Old 03-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #11
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,334 Times in 6,054 Posts
Default Re: House Battery issues

Dick's panacea tool: a clamp-on DC ammeter so that you can measure what's going into the battery on sunny days, and what's coming out at night.
...and then chase down individual circuits (perhaps by flipping breakers) to find who's being extra hungry (or starved).

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
brassarl (12-09-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #12
hoosierrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgraves View Post
Yes, I could do that. The point is, I shouldn’t have to. The solar should maintain the battery even with draws from steps, propane, stabilizers, etc.
Does your solar control panel show how many amps are being sent to the battery? (Push the 'A' button if necessary to see). Perhaps a fuse from the solar is blown or the controller is malfunctioning?

Between my propane solenoid (on/off switch), my co/propane detector, step controller, thermostat controller, fridge igniter, and controller for the charger/inverter, I am continuously using a bit under 2 amps. My batteries can discharge to an unsafe level in 3 days starting with a fully charged battery and with no solar contribution. The solar pretty much maintains the present state of charge, but a couple of cloudy days and I'm down too. That is why I keep it plugged in while in my driveway.

Shutting the battery switch off will help, but you are still powering the magnum (charger/inverter) and the step controller.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #13
geds
2018 Serenity

I have a 2018 Serenity too and was checking my coach batteries this weekend only to have the plastic buckle on the tie down strap disintegrate in my hand! There must be a better option for securing the batteries. Anyone else have this problem or a better solution? The access area is very tight....
geds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #14
hoosierrun

In my first round of cleaning up, the metal clips that hold the ends of the straps to the battery tray had turned to white sandy like material and were gone. I ended up finding some fabric draw tight straps (about) 4-6 feet long and used those until I eventually purchased maintenance free lithium Battle Born batteries for my Serenity. I think the straps https://www.amazon.com/Ozark-Trail-T...ateway&sr=8-37 looked like this. I still use them. I have them doubled over the top of the batteries.

Last edited by hoosierrun; 03-20-2019 at 12:58 PM.
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierrun For This Useful Post:
geds (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #15
geds
2018 Serenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
In my first round of cleaning up, the metal clips that hold the ends of the straps to the battery tray had turned to white sandy like material and were gone. I ended up finding some fabric draw tight straps (about) 4-6 feet long and used those until I eventually purchased maintenance free lithium Battle Born batteries for my Serenity. I think the straps https://www.amazon.com/Ozark-Trail-T...ateway&sr=8-37 looked like this. I still use them. I have them doubled over the top of the batteries.
Those buckles look like the ones LTV provided with the vehicle. They just crumbled in my fingers when I squeezed to release them. I guess I just don't know my own strength!
geds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 PM   #16
hoosierrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by geds View Post
Those buckles look like the ones LTV provided with the vehicle. They just crumbled in my fingers when I squeezed to release them. I guess I just don't know my own strength!
My straps are still hanging in, but I changed to maintenance-free lithium batteries. No more corrosion, no more checking water, no lifting heavy batteries in and out of the compartment. It just made my life so much better. Lead-Acid batteries will soon be a thing of the past.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:46 PM   #17
thetruewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkblot View Post
. Connected the shore power and the Magnum Remote shows a Comm fault. We are baffled. Does anyone have any ideas?
Comm faults with the Magnum remote commonly happen when the data cable (R-J11) isn't seated correctly. Should hear a noticeable "click" when engaged. Try re-seating the connector at the inverter and on the remote end. Our inverter's R-J11 port had two crossed contact pins that shorted out every time the remote cable was plugged in. Had to reach in and use a wooden toothpick to separate the pins. Works fine now. Good luck.
thetruewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #18
rpgraves

Quote:
Yes, changing to an AGM battery would accomplish the same thing and many people have done that. You don't get quite the same capacity, the weight is similar to lead acid, and the life of the battery is less than lithium. It is somewhat a matter of economics, and a little gamble too. I hope to never have to replace my house batteries again. I expect to keep my rig for about 12 years, maybe longer if my health is good. With an AGM battery, I might have to replace them 2 or 3 times, and would have a little less capacity. The Serenity battery compartment is pretty tight so you are limited to what you can put in there. Good point to bring up though as some people may not be keeping their LTV more than 3 or 4 years.
hoosierrun (are you really a Hoosier?)... I have a 2018 Serenity and am tired of babysitting my batteries. I had a Pleasureway Plateau that came stock with Lithium Batteries. We boondock a lot and never worried about battery life (it also came with a 2,000 watt inverter). Was really disappointed to see lead acid in my new Serenity. Did you have to do any modifications to the battery tray to accommodate the Battleborn Lithiums? Thanks
rpgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:29 PM   #19
rpgraves

Quote:
Does your solar control panel show how many amps are being sent to the battery? (Push the 'A' button if necessary to see). Perhaps a fuse from the solar is blown or the controller is malfunctioning?

Between my propane solenoid (on/off switch), my co/propane detector, step controller, thermostat controller, fridge igniter, and controller for the charger/inverter, I am continuously using a bit under 2 amps. My batteries can discharge to an unsafe level in 3 days starting with a fully charged battery and with no solar contribution. The solar pretty much maintains the present state of charge, but a couple of cloudy days and I'm down too. That is why I keep it plugged in while in my driveway.

Shutting the battery switch off will help, but you are still powering the magnum (charger/inverter) and the step controller.
Thanks for this. Turning off propane has been a big deal (and making sure the inverter is off).
rpgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #20
hoosierrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgraves View Post
hoosierrun (are you really a Hoosier?)... I have a 2018 Serenity and am tired of babysitting my batteries. I had a Pleasureway Plateau that came stock with Lithium Batteries. We boondock a lot and never worried about battery life (it also came with a 2,000 watt inverter). Was really disappointed to see lead acid in my new Serenity. Did you have to do any modifications to the battery tray to accommodate the Battleborn Lithiums? Thanks
No modifications to the Serenity battery tray. Just get parallel jumpers since they are 12 volt units. I went to college in Indiana, met my wife there, worked for 12 years outside Indianapolis, and I like to run. That is where my name came from. I'm not there anymore.