Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Database

NCV3 Database Reference Information, Part Numbers, Recalls, TSBs, and etc.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
gregmchugh

Default Re: airbag recall

The recall notice for the passenger side airbag came last August from Daimler Vans US for our 08 Freightliner Sprinter. Recently the driver's side recall notice came from FCA referring to it as a Dodge. ???

No notice yet on parts for either. Parts for the Takata recalls are initially allocated to southern states due to the high humidity factor in the failures. We are in Michigan.

Has anyone gotten the recall on the passenger side done yet??
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #12
flman
Fast and sloppy typist

Thanked 5,240 Times in 4,057 Posts

I got a letter today, their is not even an air bag replacement made for my 2010 yet. So what is the point in sending a letter to let me know this?
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flman For This Useful Post:
K-9 SPRINTER (04-28-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:57 PM   #13
robmurray12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman View Post
I got a letter today, their is not even an air bag replacement made for my 2010 yet. So what is the point in sending a letter to let me know this?
I got our first letter about a year ago about this. Then got another letter a couple weeks ago. Said the same thing... your airbag is defective and can seriously harm you but we don't have the parts to do anything about it. Bureaucracy at its finest.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:01 AM   #14
PaulDavis

We have a honda fit and a 2010 sprinter. Honda at least has made it clear that they will pay for a rental/loaner if you ask for one, until the parts are available. MB isn't doing this (for understandable reasons). Why not just disable the airbags, or make that an option? 8 people have died from the Takata airbag problem in the US so far ....
Old 04-28-2016, 12:06 AM   #15
gregmchugh

The manufacturer is required to inform you of the recall when it is initiated even though parts may not yet be available.

In the case of the Takata airbag recalls, NHTSA is controlling the allocation of replacement parts with the higher risk vehicles getting parts first. In this case the high risk factors are the age of the vehicle and exposure to humidity. Older vehicles in high humidity areas get parts first as they become available but with the number of recalled vehicles and the speed at which replacement parts can be produced it may be a long time before lower risk vehicles get replacement parts. I have not seen any time estimates for how long this may take.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregmchugh For This Useful Post:
robmurray12 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 12:17 AM   #16
gregmchugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDavis View Post
We have a honda fit and a 2010 sprinter. Honda at least has made it clear that they will pay for a rental/loaner if you ask for one, until the parts are available. MB isn't doing this (for understandable reasons). Why not just disable the airbags, or make that an option? 8 people have died from the Takata airbag problem in the US so far ....
A dealer is not allowed to disconnect an airbag for a customer. If you consider the statistics it would be much more likely that you will be harmed or killed from driving with a disabled airbag than from continuing to drive while waiting for parts for the recall. The odds are still much higher that the airbag will work just fine if you were in an accident but everyone gets to decide if they want to want to take the risk of a significant injury or death from a defective airbag. I plan to continue driving but I live up north with lower humidity so likely not in a higher risk vehicle...
Old 06-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #17
NavionIQ

So after 2 years of waiting and now the driver side airbag recall, I finally found a dodge dealer in Jackson, MS (100 miles from home), got parts ordered, sch. and took it in. They fixed the driver side. The passenger side must have the privacy screen and other parts to come off before this dealer would do the passenger side airbag. This was considered an after market add on by Winnebago and the dodge people did not want responsibility for taking that off and putting it back for fear of something going wrong! Now I am trying to get Winnebago to send me instructions on what must be removed and put back after.
This RV is really a nice vehicle but getting service, etc in my area has been a real nightmare.
NavionIQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #18
icarus

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,703 Posts

Just had mine done by Bellingham MB (née Wilson Motors) today. No issues on my end, took a bit longer but I didn't care.

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #19
jfreeth

Just had my 2008 done by Dodge dealer in Commack, NY. It had taken forever for them to get the parts, but once they had them the install was done in a couple of hours, and they lent me a loaner.
jfreeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:28 AM   #20
Kat
Katmobile

Today I heard on the news that Takata is planning to file for bankruptcy, and that they may stop manufacturing airbag inflaters. I entered my van's VIN # at MB's recall page and it says; "Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available." So I called the dealer and they said there is a fix kit for Sprinter vans, but they aren't available in WA State yet. I was told that heat & humidity cause the inflaters to fail, so they're fixing the vans in the Southern US first and that we will probably be the last region in the US to get a fix.

I wonder where the bankruptcy will leave those of us who haven't had our vehicles fixed? How many more years do we have to drive around with these ticking time bombs? Will the dealers pick up the cost of replacement, or will we have to pay? So many questions!