Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Serenity

Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
Mdharfst

Question Ground Clearance and towing experience?

New member here, first time poster

Question 1
I'm considering a new LTV Serenity.
They look like they sit a little low.
Anybody ever have issues off the pavement with ground clearance?
I intend to take this all over the west, including unpaved areas.
How bad a gravel/dirt road can these things handle?
Any advice, anything will help.
Anybody ever high center a parking lot speed bump?

Question 2
Towing a trailer.
What is the real world towing experience of owners?
Can this tow a 4500# boat?

Thanks for any help.
Mike
Mdharfst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:06 AM   #2
mumkin

Default Re: Ground Clearance and towing experience?

I'm not sure if my Libero is higher or lower than a Serenity, but I've never had a problem with speed bumps or standard gravel roads.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
Mdharfst

Mumkin
Thanks
Mike
Mdharfst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Eastbayview
2012 Unity MB

I've never had a problem with my Unity either. As for towing, I tow a 6x10 enclosed trailer with two motorcycles and assorted other stuff. Loaded the trailer weighs about 2300lbs. The Sprinter has great power to tow it but I will be looking into putting brakes on the trailer as I think it's a bit much for the RV brakes alone, especially when going down long steep hills.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
barsaec

The only problem I've had is dragging a cargo tray coming out of a driveway this summer. No problems with large speedbumps. I haven't towed yet, but am looking into a Mazda5 as a toad.
barsaec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #6
bear112

This is not a direct answer to your question about towing, but rather a heads-up about having your Serenity towed in case of a breakdown. When the starter motor quit on my 2012 Serenity, I discovered through trial and error that a regular "tow truck" with a flatbed won't work, as the rear end will drag due to the steepness of the angle as the unit is pulled up onto the flatbed. You will need to ask for a wrecker type truck, and they will have to disengage the driveshaft. Be sure to make a note of where the driver puts the drive shaft bolts, so you can tell the repair facility in case the wrecker driver forgets to tell them when he drops it off (this happened to me!).
bear112 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bear112 For This Useful Post:
israndy (12-07-2014)
Old 09-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #7
RK88

I have not done any towing, but I have driven my 2017 LTV Serenity 6,000 miles this year to customers' homes for my business, driving on a variety of roads. If a road makes an abrupt change of pitch -- from level to steep, you will drag the trailer hitch. It takes a somewhat extreme situation to cause this, so I would say that this isn't that much of a problem since after all you're driving an RV. I did once drag the hitch exiting a gas station where there was a larger than usual drop from sidewalk to gutter. But this is rare. Compared to many other RV's, like long class C's, ground clearance is very good -- very good for an RV. I owned a 28' class C, so I can vouch for this.

Regarding driving on rough roads, unless one goes really slow (2mph...) my Serenity will pitch and roll to send a message (to me anyway) that this is a smooth civilized pavement vehicle. So, if you want to go on a jeep trail, rent a jeep.
RK88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:14 PM   #8
Bertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I'm not sure if my Libero is higher or lower than a Serenity, but I've never had a problem with speed bumps or standard gravel roads.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero
In looking at Serentiies and Unities in RV parks their coach sections definitely sit lower over the rear wheels than my 08 Libero. To level my unit on a level pad I need about 4" blocks under the front wheels even with air springs lowered. The MB units seem to need only an inch or two.

All that being said it doesn't really affect ground clearance but any LTV will beat my last RV hands down. It was a Rialta, famous for scraping the muffler or knocking off the sewage valve when high centered (yuck). Even then never a problem on Rough roads, only in rough rooted or bumpy parks or entering high centred parking lots.

Gary
Delta,BC
08 Freedom II Libero

Last edited by Bertible; 10-10-2017 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Add Signature
Bertible is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertible For This Useful Post:
bjogtrmdo (03-03-2018)
Old 11-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
lovetokite

when I visited the factory I was told the Unity has a little more clearance. However, I preferred the more aerodynamic and less boxy looks of the Serenity. That it what I ordered...
lovetokite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
hoosierrun

You can tow 4500#, but you are close to the limit. We tow our 2009 Toyota RAV4, 4 cylinder 2 WD (retrofitted for transmission pump) and have towed all over the West including mountainous areas. It is pretty much maximum throttle going up steep mountains and you will slow down a bit under those conditions.

We have been on gravel roads before, but prefer to keep to the improved ones. Driving on a lot of dusty roads adds a lot of work to keeping the unit clean.