Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Advanced RV

Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
tooldye

Default Re: New Advanced RV Being Built

While I'm excited for you and your new Advanced RV, I'm a little depressed. I am in the middle of my own conversion and have gotten loads of inspiration from your Cheap Conversion. Your use of steel shelving and the 10 Gal. Brute toilet are ingenious and I plan to copy them.
Is this where I'm headed? Am I going to complete my own cheap conversion, with little expense but loads of time and energy, just to use it for a few years and then toss it aside to buy some fancy-pants, deluxe, not cheap, 3rd party, store-bought RV? Diamondsea, I wish you many miles of happy travels in your new rig, but you have let me down.
I'd ask if you'd sell me your Cheap Conversion (which doesn't even have the dignity of a name, as far as I know), but I am in too serious of a relationship with Gladys and I don't think she would ever forgive me. Then again, when she gets older and uglier, I will probably ditch her for a newer, prettier model, as I, too, have done before. No wonder some say, "Men are pigs."
tooldye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:03 AM   #12
Diamondsea

tooldye --
I sold my Cheap Conversion to an out-of-state MB Sprinter dealer who offered me more money than I had in the rig! I was not looking to sell, they made the offer and I accepted. I have owned boats since 1960 and I went back that way by designing and having built a 24-foot mini cruiser. In that boat I have and use a bucket toilet based on the Brute bucket. I am heavy and have reinforced it to carry weight by screwing lathe strips of wood on the inside. I have experimented with different brands of bag systems and continue to believe the best for me are the bags from Cleanwaste. They are less bulky than some and because they are shorter I put and leave two circles of 2-inch foam in the bottom of the bucket. I you want more info send me a private message on this forum to set up contact information.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:23 AM   #13
georgelesley

Having had them do some custom work on ours, I have no doubt you will be happy. Congratulations!
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
pattonsr

Diamondsea,

Do you know what refrigerator/freezer you are getting? The web site says 6.8 cu ft 12v with a 3 way propane as an option. The 12v tells me the standard fridge is probably a danfoss compressor fridge. The 6.8 cubic feet is the size of a Nova Kool RFU6800. But I am just guessing.

Also are you getting a underneath Onan generator or possibly a second engine alternator/generator in place of the Onan generator?

Advanced RV has been very quiet the last several months. I haven't seen Mike posting online or updating the Advanced RV web site.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #15
Diamondsea

As i write this it is Sunday evening and I am in a hotel with rental car. Tomorrow is the big day as I will be taking delivery. Excited? You bet!

To try to answer your question: Advanced is now using a 12 volt only unit with a Danfoss as this is the most efficient of all the options. These units have a variable speed compressor and they can be set to run at a preselected speed. I believe that my RV will be one of the first Advanceds with this unit. A few months ago I discussed the fridge question with Mike and I opined on the subject based on my experience with marine units of different types. From a theoretical point of view the slower (within reason) that the compressor runs the more efficient is the use of electricity. When these Danfoss units were first used on yachts to replace old units folks complained that the units were not good because they could hear them running for long times. It took a while to convince then that the actual use of electricity was lower. The same is true with some of the newer home refrigerators. I have a new unit at home and it seems to be running all the time yet it is rated as about the most efficient on the planet! I think that the physics revolve around the fact that dissipating the heat from the condenser is more efficient throwing off a low level of heat for a long time is better than trying to dissipate high heat over a short time. Some newer units have no separate condenser coil but use the back skin of the insulated box to get ride of the heat. As to the exact model number I suggest you call Advanced RV to get that answer.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #16
Diamondsea

I forgot to answer the second question. I have no separate generator. I have 4 group 31 AGM batteries. (Up to 6 are optional and Lithium-Iron are optional from Advanced. Their Lithium batteries have different chemistry than what Boeing used on the Dreamliner and they are reported to be mush safer. I went with the very high quality Concord Lifeline AGMs as they are much lower in cost.) The engine has only one alternator which is 220 amps I believe. I think this is an option from Daimler. The computer can automatically start the engine and go to fast idle when the batteries get low. This voltage is set on the computer via the touch screen. By the way the inverter is a 2800 watt unit and as for AC shore power inlet there is a built in surge protector.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:32 AM   #17
pattonsr

I bet you are excited to pick up your Advanced RV sprinter tomorrow. I won't need to call Advanced RV for the manufacturer of the compressor fridge. You can take a picture and tell us what they put in. I have only seen a demo model which had a Dometic 3 way in it. It will be nice to see how it fits. Did you get a convection microwave as an option?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
pattonsr

Which Lifeline 31 did you put in? The 31T is 105AH and the 31XT is 125AH (no change in size).
Old 09-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #19
Diamondsea

I will try to get the battery and fridge data at the factory tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #20
Uncle Dave
2013 3500

Congrats on your ride looks very nice.

When you want to run an air conditioner..How does that work?

Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave is offline   Reply With Quote