Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Regional Discussions > Australia, New Zealand, and Asia Pacific

Old 09-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #1
The Guru

Default Warranty Question

I have a few minor issues with my Sprinter, I live a bit away from the nearest dealer, I noticed the below thread entry from Richard:

It's a non issue down under! in the main, Mechanics top end we have, and we DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE WARRANTY OR SERVICE DONE AT THE DEALERS, It's our choice were we have it done, if warranty is involved the costs and parts are reimbursed from Benz.
Another exclusive for the States I guess
Richard

Does anyone know if this really is the case?
The Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,360 Times in 1,866 Posts
Default Re: Warranty Question

Clarifying warranty for Australia
This is not in reference to the USA.
If per say an Australian purchases a vehicle from a dealer any brand, he or she is under no obligation to have it serviced at the dealer ship as under the Government program for consumer protection ASIC , A manufactures franchisee dealer! has the right to set his own prices, ???? But due to the nature of setting prices, They become a standard [Fixed Price]
This is deemed to be,anti-competitive and is therefore illegal under Australian law, we have the right to choose a certified mechanic who can carry out and execute repairs to the specifications of the manufacture at a lesser labour price, about 30%.
If parts are deemed to be defective they are replaced under the warranty program of the manufacture which is back charged to the dealership. the out side provider who undertakes the repairs takes the part in, and it's exchanged {NO CHARGE IS INCURRED}..
Batteries brake pads clutches have a secondary warranty by the manufacture who provides the parts they are obliged to put a 12 thousand mile warranty on those parts to be replaced no charge on a no-fault blame basis, Clear as mud. It's like double indemnity you have a two way warranty if conflict occurs, that is who pays!! not me
Warranty can be exchanged any where in Australasia under the free trade agreements, we can in certain circumstance import direct, and have an International warranty of exchange put in place, the vehicle where it is destined to go has the same warranty that is within country.. not from where it was sourced from! no saving there, but warranty exchange can be done on a case by case basis. Under US law you do have this right of exchange and you have had it since 1939 under the Sherman's act of anti competitive, monopolies acts {Look at Ford and GM!!! for Dupont paint enamel's and acrylic fast drying paints.... that were colored anything but BLACK and price fixing laws , trouble is no one is prepared to stand by it, because of the way US politics are ingrained with corporate kick backs scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, now hand over the 5 mill I need to stand for government and I'll look after you good buddy The down side of the Sprinters your stuck with the dealership and they are free to charge what ever price they set for services hence competition is extremely limited for effective service schedules.
Richard.
Here is a typical example OIL change, as designated by Benz two hours is the set schedule period cost 220 Inc tax plus materials say 290 dollars
take it to a certified out side mechanic service shop it's half the price , they charge for one hour only and lesser mark ups on oil and filters.
Take it to your local wally mart its half again, using similar grade oil, and after market filters, which just happen to have the same warranty as Benz because its the same part with a different brand name so the cheapest price can be as low as 79 dollars.
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
The Guru

Sorry Richard, Are you saying that I can take my vehicle to a 3rd party repairer have him replace a part on my Sprinter and DaimlerChrysler Australia will refund the cost of the part and labour?

This seems unbelieveable, have you done this yourself?

This would help me out no end.

Thanks for your post.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #4
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
Sorry Richard, Are you saying that I can take my vehicle to a 3rd party repairer have him replace a part on my Sprinter and DaimlerChrysler Australia will refund the cost of the part and labour?

This seems unbelieveable, have you done this yourself?

This would help me out no end.

Thanks for your post.
No Guru sorry
I was trying to show you the differences between your end of the pond and mine,
We have a much fairer system than you do your stuck with the dealership I believe if your doing say an oil change providing you document it then this at least does not effect warranty on your Sprinter. Quote My sprinter touch wood has never been near a dealer nor will it ever, I have a perfect run no issues with both of our sprinters 05 313 CDi and 2006 V6 518 CDi However I have an advantage I'm up close and personal with benz so they don't rock the boat with me I'm too smart for them
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom

Old 09-09-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Guru
Your in Victoria?
Yes you can do this no problems but the mechanuic has to be certified and have a full drb111 to manage your sytem which van have you?
richard
No Shalam - No Shalom

Old 09-09-2007, 06:44 AM   #6
The Guru

Thanks Richard.

Looks like i will have to take it to a dealer, They are only minor problems anyway.

Do you know the guys at the dealership or at the head office, I'm sure these guys would be worth knowing. We are thinking of buying a couple more Sprinters or even Vitos.

They are great vans
Old 09-09-2007, 06:57 AM   #7
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

yes very well.
I'll clarify the point of an alternative service provider, he must be certified as a diesel mechanic not a back yarder, he needs to have the full computer gear for diagnostic evaluation for repairs,
Hobart has many places where I could go to as Tasmania has the largest volume of Sprinters in Australia.
being in Vic if your urban then finding an alternative Benz repairer is not a problem it becomes more difficult if your in a country location . even for BASIC repairs that are not warranty just say service, providing you have it done to the manual specs.. and have full documentation you have not voided your warranty. but dealers can get snakey over this. If you are concerned, write to Benz or Ph them and ask where the nearest service provider is for your vans out side of the mainstream franchise out lets or look to yellow pages and don't be afraid to ask the mechanic as to what he can or can not do.

Richard.
DSC01048 (Large).jpg
No Shalam - No Shalom

Old 09-10-2007, 12:25 AM   #8
The Guru

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

How did you get to know the MB guys? Is this how you got to have a good understanding of Sprinters.

You certainly know you Benz

Thanks again.
Your welcome

Last edited by Altered Sprinter; 09-10-2007 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Hit the wrong key
Old 09-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

How did you get to know the MB guys? Is this how you got to have a good understanding of Sprinters.

You certainly know you Benz

Thanks again.
Your welcome
Thank's Guru
I guess after having to deal with the Benz since 1972 you get up close and personal with them , but there is a long story attached to it.
Richard.
DSC01046 (Large) (2).jpg
No Shalam - No Shalom