Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Regional Discussions > USA

Old 04-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #1
BragdonFamilySprinter

Default SCS Frigette P/N 98-03740 Issue, Rear Air System

I have a 2003 Dodge Sprinter with a SCS Frigette rear air unit, and the low pressure line has rusted through from being up north in New York. I have not been able to get a hold of SCS Frigette, has anyone had the same experience? I've called and called and the customer service lines, and their always busy. Please help me, I live in the southern united states and it will be warm soon.
BragdonFamilySprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:41 AM   #2
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,856 Times in 849 Posts
Default Re: SCS Frigette P/N 98-03740 Issue, Rear Air System

SCS Frigette is out of business.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...03&postcount=6

Which line are you specifically talking about? Is it off of the compressor?
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sikwan For This Useful Post:
BragdonFamilySprinter (04-12-2010)
Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
BragdonFamilySprinter

The Sprinter Tech at the dealership said it was the the low pressure line that runs from the condensor to the rear of the compressor, it looks like it is threaded and screws in. Its the line that looks like it has two sensors on it. Thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 03:05 AM   #4
BragdonFamilySprinter

Sikwan, the unit I have looks exactally like the one you installed in your post. Is their anyway I can resleeve a low pressure tube like the one I'm talking about. The tech stated that if you use a patch it would bust. The hole is on line close to the passenger rear tire and is so close to the fitting that it could be patched, could it be welded, or cut and another fitting put in its place? Thanks again Sikwan.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:46 AM   #5
sikwan
06 T1N Can

On this page, scroll down to one of my posts where it shows the refrigerant lines...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/sho...ght=scs&page=4

...as I don't know exactly which section of the line you're talking about.

I don't see a reason why you could not resleeve it or at least have a local A/C outfit weld up (solder actually) something for you. The lines are aluminum so I'm kind of wondering why the salt would have an affect on it. Maybe you had moisture inside the refrigerant lines and that combination caused an acidic reaction that can eat at the tube from the inside.

Anyways, do you know how long you had the hole? If you had the hole for a long time, it's also a good idea to replace the drier. For now, just work on the tube.

The black thing in this picture is the drier. You can even see the soldered tube connection near the black mounting bracket closest to the drier.

In any case, I would just go to a local A/C shop (shop around) and ask them what they can do. If the hole hasn't been there a long time then I would just ask them if they can resleeve it; remove section and solder sleeve.

It wouldn't hurt to ask those independent A/C mechanics on what they think as they would probably help you more than an A/C shop.
The Following User Says Thank You to sikwan For This Useful Post:
BragdonFamilySprinter (04-12-2010)
Old 04-12-2010, 03:59 AM   #6
BragdonFamilySprinter

I really appreciate your help. Why did SCS Frigette go out of business and why is their website still up? Even their corporate number still answers. I've owned the van since May of 2008, I never knew the rear air didn't work until I did the first oil change after I bought it. The hole wasn't so bad until the system was charged and the combination of the pressure and myself making sure the line was tight at the fitting, caused it to get larger. I'm going to a company that does work on hydralics and also does welding, I will see what they might do. In the mean time where to I pickup a drier? Thanks again Sikwan.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by BragdonFamilySprinter View Post
I really appreciate your help. Why did SCS Frigette go out of business and why is their website still up? Even their corporate number still answers. I've owned the van since May of 2008, I never knew the rear air didn't work until I did the first oil change after I bought it. The hole wasn't so bad until the system was charged and the combination of the pressure and myself making sure the line was tight at the fitting, caused it to get larger. I'm going to a company that does work on hydralics and also does welding, I will see what they might do. In the mean time where to I pickup a drier? Thanks again Sikwan.
Bragdon... I don't know if they went out of business. I'm only passing information.

If you think the system has not been open to open-air for a long time, then just resleeve the section and recharge. The drier is just a canister of dessicant (similar to dessicant) that further removes moisture after the charge.

I don't have the part number handy, so, I would've just crawled underneath and checked myself (if the part number exists on itself).