Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Database

NCV3 Database Reference Information, Part Numbers, Recalls, TSBs, and etc.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:03 AM   #51
schwing_ding

Default Re: NCV3 Oil Practical Information - Low SAP 5w-40 vs 0w-30

Thanks Vic. Sounds like the 10k service interval that used to be about $80 on the T1N will now be at least $180 DIY on the NCV3. Can't say I welcome that, but it is what it is. Better get friendly with the local Napa guys I guess.

I'm more of a "if the MFR says 13.4 liters, I will put in 13, and then measure out the 0.4 in the oil cylinder that I use to mix 2-stroke oil in the motorcycle" kind of guy. Mercedes seems to be a bit heavy in oil specs, but light in other areas such as capacity. Probably trying to push people to visit their local dealership and not to do it themselves. I'll try your 13 quart advise the 1st change, and then adjust and calibrate from there. Fully realize the over/under issues, but thanks for the beta. Hoping the fuel filter is the 3 pin short unit, as the higher/larger filter kit is quite a jump in price.

Thanks again.
schwing_ding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #52
Spike HG

On Sale 229.52

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MCL121218
Spike HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #53
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,599 Times in 9,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwing_ding View Post

I'm more of a "if the MFR says 13.4 liters, I will put in 13, and then measure out the 0.4 in the oil cylinder that I use to mix 2-stroke oil in the motorcycle" kind of guy. ...

Thanks again.
From another thread. It has some relevance to oil. If you can't avoid bio-diesel then starting with tip top oil level may have some merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geriakt View Post
MB does not recommend or warranty the engine if you use Biodiesel above B5. This can be found written in the operators manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post

Isn't this more accurate?

MB does not recommend or warranty the engine if you use Biodiesel above B5 and they can prove that the use was related to the damages. This can be found written in the operators manual.

Even Mother Mercedes has issued what could be referred to as "official" guidelines for when an operator can't avoid using higher concentrations of biodiesel. Some States require higher than B5 diesel.

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital..._Brochure5.pdf

vic

Added:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedes PDF

Warranty Guidelines for Biodiesel Usage

Diesel fuel with up to B5 biodiesel content according to ULSD specification ASTM D975 meets Mercedes-Benz approved fuel standards and will not void coverage under the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Diesel fuels between B6 and B20 or higher pose risks of engine and fuel system damage, and are not approved by Mercedes-Benz. Please refer to the following recommendations to help avoid engine and fuel system damage if you do not have the chance to refuel your vehicle continuously with ULSD, maximum B5:

• Fill up with ULSD (B5 or less) whenever possible, from a name brand fuel station.
• Regularly monitor your engine oil level if you have no choice but to use B20 fuel.
• Strictly follow the oil change intervals quoted in the instrument cluster and within your maintenance booklet, and use ONLY engine oils and filters approved by Mercedes-Benz for use in the vehicle.
• If you do not plan to drive your vehicle for several weeks, fill your vehicle’s fuel tank completely in
advance with ULSD fuel.
Limit engine idling time to five minutes or as mandated by local ordinance.

Fuel with biodiesel content greater than 20%, including B100, is not approved by Mercedes-Benz due to the risk of severe engine damage. Any damage caused by the use of such non-approved fuels will not be covered by the Mercedes-Benz New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Please refer to your vehicle’s Maintenance Booklet for maintenance schedules and requirements.
Note the reference to limiting idling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkinghorse43 View Post
If it really does thin the oil, then keeping track of oil pressure should cover that. If you see oil pressure falling during the OCI, then you know you have a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
That would work, but not everyone has an aftermarket oil pressure monitor like you installed.

My comment would be that if bio fuel dilution is a concern the high oil level warning should never be ignored. That might be a reason to be a "tip top" type guy for oil dipstick level. If you keep your oil topped off then it will take less percentage of fuel dilution to trigger the high level warning.

Those living in areas where B20 isn't mandated probably have no concern. Suppliers seem to prefer to avoid higher bio rather than seek it out. I have no data.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote