Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
Garandman

Default Re: DIY Cloned Keys - Clone and Cutting Machines

We had two keys made locally for $65 each. However the blank material is not as strong as the OEM key. Are steel blanks available?
Old 04-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #12
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,397 Times in 8,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
... However the blank material is not as strong as the OEM key. Are steel blanks available?
Steel key blanks are available, but most locksmiths won't cut them because they are hard on the cutting wheels. The OEM steel keys are known to crack, so they aren't ideal either.

I agree that many of the replacement keys with chip holder are generally flimsy.

If you don't need the chip holder style key I find that the Ilco MB17 blanks are quite stout.

After using a lighter duty replacement key I went back to my Redneck MB17 Key that is sistered to the OEM head. Works great. It really doesn't look bad. If the key does break, a new key can easily be screwed on.

RedneckKeyTapped.jpg

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...692#post155692

FWIW. vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 04-15-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #13
doug022984
Doug

I've asked this question before on here, but maybe with this new found device someone will know. Will this work on a key that already has its own code? In otherwords, I already have a key that I bought from the dealership that has its own code (presumably). Like others on here, I've refused to pay the additional $150+ that the dealer wants to program my van to accept this other key's code. Will this device be able to write the code from my one good key to this other key that already has a code? Or do only blanks that have 0000000 as their code accept a copy?
Old 05-04-2019, 12:36 AM   #14
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,534 Times in 5,515 Posts

I'm going to guess "probably not" ... in an OEM situation like MB's, they'll just buy a few thousand pre-programmed RFID chips and glue them into their keys, with the final "mating" being performed by telling the Sprinter's ECU/SKREEM to accept its bunch of keys. The chip they use is probably (i'm going to say 95% likely) *not* after-burnable.

For a burn-it-later key, there are additional components in the key which facilitate the "burning" of a clone. The original MB keys won't have those.

--dick (factory-programmed chips are really really cheap compared to burnables)
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
doug022984 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 03:47 AM   #15
LS1K5

I got a couple rfid blanks from Ebay and had them cut by my local locksmith but every locksmith here said that you cant just clone them, they are so wrong! I just bought the zed bull and did it in 5 minutes, now I have 3 keys that start my sprinter!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
LS1K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #16
Indysprinter

My first post here. I followed the instructions of the OP and made a cloned key that starts my Sprinter.

My total investment was $36 for the Zed Bull, $16 for two programmable key blanks, and $60 for an old rusty Ilco Key machine that I got off Craigslist.

Literally 10 minutes after I opened the package for the Zed Bull, I had a newly cut key that starts the van. I didn't even have to open the instructions for the Zed Bull.

Thanks to the OP for the tip.
Indysprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Indysprinter For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (05-15-2019), autostaretx (05-04-2019), brassarl (05-04-2019), long1pham (06-23-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #17
Boeingpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug022984 View Post
I've asked this question before on here, but maybe with this new found device someone will know. Will this work on a key that already has its own code? In otherwords, I already have a key that I bought from the dealership that has its own code (presumably). Like others on here, I've refused to pay the additional $150+ that the dealer wants to program my van to accept this other key's code. Will this device be able to write the code from my one good key to this other key that already has a code? Or do only blanks that have 0000000 as their code accept a copy?
I think not.... I don't think those transponders are re-writable.
Boeingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boeingpilot For This Useful Post:
doug022984 (05-06-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #18
Boeingpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indysprinter View Post
My first post here. I followed the instructions of the OP and made a cloned key that starts my Sprinter.

My total investment was $36 for the Zed Bull, $16 for two programmable key blanks, and $60 for an old rusty Ilco Key machine that I got off Craigslist.

Literally 10 minutes after I opened the package for the Zed Bull, I had a newly cut key that starts the van. I didn't even have to open the instructions for the Zed Bull.

Thanks to the OP for the tip.
Glad this could help! You basically discovered what I did, that for the price of maybe one key from the dealer, you can buy all the equipment to do it, learn something, and have the tools to do more in the future.

In reality (IMHO) the whole immobilizer thing is the biggest scam that the automakers ever came up with. Obviously they can be hacked (what we're doing). So what is accomplished, just making it a pain to work on your own car. The dealership takes a 20 key, and then because of the paperwork at time to program the car makes a couple of bucks.

I've glad to see all the people on the list that have used my brief tutorial.
Boeingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boeingpilot For This Useful Post:
hepcat (05-04-2019), long1pham (06-23-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #19
hepcat

I recently bought an '04 T1N, Airstream Interstate. It came with a single remote, switchblade key. I bought a couple of remotes from a vendor on eBay anticipating that they'd be re-programmable like every OTHER manufacturer's... after calling my local Dodge dealer to find out that a new remote key is $599.

I wrote MB to find out what their official line is:

"I have one more question about key remotes on my van... I bought two used key remotes with the same FCC ID number as the one for my van... can they be reprogrammed to work with my '04 Sprinter? I found a source for replacement key blades, and since they're side-cut that should be no problem, but can the chip and the RF portion for locking and unlocking be re-programmed and/or cloned from my existing, working key remote?

Thank you!"

And MB's response:

Dear Mr. ...,

Thank you for your contact. As this is a Dodge Sprinter, all key details would be answered by Dodge.

We can advise for any Mercedes Benz vehicle, keys can only be ordered and obtained from a parts advisor at the local dealership. Keys are unable to be programmed at the dealership. Keys are considered theft related parts and therefore require strict adherence to the ordering policy, along with proof of ownership and the vehicle presented to the dealership.

Dodge can be reached at 1-800-423-6343 or any of their dealerships.

Have an enjoyable day.

Kind Regards,

Debbie A.
Mercedes-Benz USA
(800) 367-6372"

Fortunately, I have a locksmith in a nearby city who can cut and clone the t-5 chipped keys available on eBay. I guess I'll sell the extra remote keys to a key fob wholesaler.
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:19 PM   #20
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,534 Times in 5,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
I recently bought an '04 T1N, Airstream Interstate. It came with a single remote, switchblade key. I bought a couple of remotes from a vendor on eBay anticipating that they'd be re-programmable like every OTHER manufacturer's... after calling my local Dodge dealer to find out that a new remote key is $599.

I wrote MB to find out what their official line is:

"I have one more question about key remotes on my van... I bought two used key remotes with the same FCC ID number as the one for my van... can they be reprogrammed to work with my '04 Sprinter? I found a source for replacement key blades, and since they're side-cut that should be no problem, but can the chip and the RF portion for locking and unlocking be re-programmed and/or cloned from my existing, working key remote?
Sigh...

MB uses what's called a rolling-key algorithm for their remote entry.
That makes it pretty much impossible for thieves to simply "listen in" and replicate what your fob sent to try and open the door. Your fob only uses a code *once*, and the next transmission is totally different (but can be calculated by the SKREEM).

The FCC ID number says nothing other than "this transmitter design (the RF part, not the codes) has been registered with the FCC and meets certain design limits". ALL Sprinter keys bear the same FCC number.

Due to the rolling-key algorithm, if someone baps on your keys' buttons 256+ times without the Sprinter "hearing" any of them, that key will cease to open the doors (it will still run the car, since the RKE system is functionally separate from the RFID system).

In theory (back in the day), a Sprinter dealer *could* "resynchronize" such a 256+ fob back to "accepted".

Due to the Chrysler/MB fall-out, you're also facing that corporate hurdle. You're Dodge's baby, not MB's (just like recalls).

SOS Diagnostics can probably make your ECU/SKREEM properly respond to your set of new keys. sosdiagnostics.com ... ask them (i've never used them).

--dick
p.s. it is possible that a "smart" Dodge dealer could make your "new" keys work on your Sprinter.
But it may be against corporate policy (there's "could" and "will" with a canyon between)
p.p.s. whenever dealing with a "theft-related" component (such as the keys), bringing along "proof of ownership" when you visit the dealer avoids having to go back home to fetch them.
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 05-04-2019 at 06:30 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote