Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 04-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
JPB Irish

Question Unity vs CH- buying questions

My wife and I are deciding on LTV(unity) or CH slightly used to buy this summer. 2018 or 2019 years.
We live in Atlanta and will be driving approximately twice a month up to Southbend,Indiana for long weekends.
Just the two of us. For the next 4-5 years.

Questions?
1. What engine drives the best? MB or Ford engines?
2. Reliability of van for the next 4 - 5 years? Unity or CH with driving this many miles?
3. Best resale?
4. Most comfortable one?
Any other comments are appreciated.
Regards,
Jim
JPB Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #2
pigtrailrv
2020 Unity FX

Default Re: Unity vs CH- buying questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPB Irish View Post
My wife and I are deciding on LTV(unity) or CH slightly used to buy this summer. 2018 or 2019 years.
We live in Atlanta and will be driving approximately twice a month up to Southbend,Indiana for long weekends.

Questions?
2. Reliability of van for the next 4 - 5 years? Unity or CH with driving this many miles?
3. Best resale?
4. Most comfortable one?
Regards,
Jim
I'll give my 2 cents, based on research only, not real world testing. Highlights:

Mercedes is diesel, 16-18mpg but diesel fuel costs more per gallon. LTV has 26 gallon fuel tank. Ford is gas engine, fuel mileage probably about 10mpg? Gasoline is cheaper. CH has 50+ gallon tank. Big difference here is cost for service and repairs, Mercedes is EXPENSIVE to work on.

Reliability, I have no issue with either.

Resale seems to be very high for both brands, especially compared to other RV brands.

I think the fit and finish is good for both but for me the LTV has much more STYLE. It's like the LTV is a luxury hotel suite and the CH is a Holiday Inn, still nice but not stylish.

CH looks like some of their parts came straight from Home Depot (ie; shower doors).

CH are more expensive but have a robust hydraulic slide system and I believe more expensive diesel generators are standard.

One other large difference is the E450 platform has a huge advantage in cargo carrying capacity and towing capacity over the MB.

Really depends on what fits best for you, I'd take either one in my driveway, but I do have an order in for a 2020 LTV FX.

Best bet is to go see both and test them out. I am overseas working so all my opinions are formulated from on line research from groups such as this and other sources.

Also if you're buying used then availability of what you want to purchase will be a factor. LTV has a Facebook page for Van's for sale. I haven't seen many used CH for sale. LTV has a much larger on line community for sharing/assistance/support.

Last edited by pigtrailrv; 04-16-2019 at 03:46 AM.
pigtrailrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:37 AM   #3
stormpeakco
'19 M-B/'19 LTV U-TB

Quote:

Questions?
3. Best resale?
4. Most comfortable one?
Regards,
Jim
Old 04-16-2019, 02:24 AM   #4
aarpskier
2017 LTV Unity FX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormpeakco View Post

http://www.coachhouserv.com/line-platinum.php

http://www.coachhouserv.com/line-platinum2.php

Last edited by aarpskier; 04-16-2019 at 02:34 AM.
aarpskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aarpskier For This Useful Post:
stormpeakco (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 02:32 AM   #5
cjf_moraga

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormpeakco View Post
The Following User Says Thank You to cjf_moraga For This Useful Post:
stormpeakco (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 02:37 AM   #6
aarpskier
2017 LTV Unity FX

Quote:

Questions?
3. Best resale?
4. Most comfortable one?
Regards,
Jim

Wtih respect to #3 and #4, look at the CH heavy squared-off interior cabinet styling and the exterior swirl graphics. IMO it comes down to whether you want to live in, and think potential buyers will want to buy, "Elkhart traditional" or "clean, modern European".
The Following User Says Thank You to aarpskier For This Useful Post:
JPB Irish (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
JPB Irish

Thumbs up Re: Unity vs CH- buying questions

Ok - very helpful. Thank you all.
I am leaning towards the LTV. In Atlanta they do not have but 1 dealer and I need to look at the floor plans in person. Given they only have 1 unit on site it seems to be a challenge to view different models?
Any suggestions?
JPB Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
Skeena

When we looked at a 2018 Coach House (new) it was on a Sprinter chassis. It had no options like cruise control, upgraded headlights or lane departure among others. The salesman talked about the watertight storage compartments and 2 of them were soaking wet. The rear taillight lenses were full of water. the coach batteries were fully exposed underneath the step and alot of the subframe was visible and unprotected.

Inside, we found the build quality substandard; cabinet doors not closing properly and already loose. It wasn't for us!

Keep in mind - the salesperson had said as we were walking up to it - it's ready to go!

Skeena
Skeena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
aarpskier
2017 LTV Unity FX

Quote:
I am leaning towards the LTV. In Atlanta they do not have but 1 dealer and I need to look at the floor plans in person. Given they only have 1 unit on site it seems to be a challenge to view different models?
Any suggestions?
1. Check LTV site for upcoming shows. You may have to travel quite a ways.

2. We have shown our unit to several dozen folks over two the last years, some of whom found us by referring to our location and floorplan in the signature to the left. I just tried searching on "Atlanta", but did not come up with much. And, unfortunately many forum members do not list their location and/or floorplan and model year. So, although this will be painful, you could scroll through various threads, look for members near you and send them a private message asking to see their unit. (Most Unity owners are very accommodating, nice folks!)

3. Hope some forum member(s) in or near Atlanta see your request and send you a private message.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #10
geds
2018 Serenity

Quote:
Any suggestions?
Actually Atlanta now has an LTV dealer, but they only sell the Wonder model which is built on the Ford (gasoline) chassis. I live in Birmingham and drove to the Hershey RV show to see all the models we were interested in so we could do a side by side comparison. For us, we narrowed our decision down to the LTV Serenity and placed the order there from Fretz RV in Souderton, PA. We drove back there in April to take delivery. The LTV dealers in south FL charged full list plus delivery fees. We found Fretz to not only offer a fair discounted price, but were good to us with the delivery and sales process.

One thing to consider for either brand is service, especially warranty work. Since there are no LTV dealers within 400 miles of either of us, and there are not many around the US, LTV is very good about letting you choose who you want to do your service work. LTV will ship the parts directly to you or the service company (your choice) and will either reimburse you or direct pay the service company. For me, that is great! It allows me to choose the best repair shop convenient to me and not to be tied to a company just because they are the "authorized service company."

And since you live in Atlanta, if you buy an LTV, you will be invited to join the Dixie Leisure Travelers. LTV has travel clubs across the US that they subsidize with a small budget for spring and fall rallies. This spring we will be camping at Hamilton State Park, TN and this fall, we will be camping in Hiwasse for their fall festival. It is a nice group of folks and we would welcome you! (By the way, most of the folks in our club have Unitys, but there are models from all types, including some early and rare models.)

We do not regret our decision!

Last edited by geds; 04-16-2019 at 01:35 PM.
geds is offline   Reply With Quote