Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 Talk

VS30 Talk General Discussions related to VS30 W907 Sprinters.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:17 AM   #21
sanomechanic

Default Re: A loud whining noise HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99sport View Post
A whine that varies on/off power is a differential 9 times out of 10. Since this isn't your diff could it be turbo whine? That would only be present under power / acceleration. Maybe the turbo plumbing is resonating / amplifying the noise. (My T1N with an aluminum turbo resonator eliminator makes a similar noise.)
Will not be the turbo making that noise. That is a gear whine.
sanomechanic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:22 AM   #22
sanomechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleasurewayfl View Post
I am going to try one gear down and reach the same speed with higher rpm. If the noise is the same with higher rpm, then is not from motor, converter, and front part of tranny ?
The output shaft "back hub of trans" "final drive"spins same speed as drive shaft. All the front components vary in speed depending on gear range and engine RPM. If noise stays same at same speed but different gear/engine speed. That eliminates everything that drives the output shaft. "engine, torque converter,ect. gears 6&7 are over drive. That means the engine spins slower than the drive shaft. gear 5 is direct drive. engine and drive shaft spins same speed

Last edited by sanomechanic; 12-03-2019 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:28 AM   #23
99sport

Quote:
Is tranny noise on/off power as well?
I know nothing about automatic transmissions as I try to avoid them like the plague, but I have seen it on a manual. It's pretty uncommon for a manual transmission to make noises that vary with load, but not impossible. As a case in point, my S2000 has a VERY loud noise on decel. Honda actually wrote a Technical Service Bulletin on it. Apparently, on decel the synchros resonate in the case (and turn the transmission tunnel into a resonance chamber). Honda's fix is a new clutch design with springs in the clutch to damp out the resonance. (It sounds like a band aid to me, but is presumably a much cheaper fix than replacing the defective parts in the transmission). I haven't replaced my clutch yet so I don't know if the fix works.

I still think your noise sounds like turbo whine, but its hard to diagnose over the internet. As others have suggested, downshifting while keeping speed steady may help in the diagnosis.
99sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #24
sanomechanic

Quote:
I know nothing about automatic transmissions as I try to avoid them like the plague, but I have seen it on a manual. It's pretty uncommon for a manual transmission to make noises that vary with load, but not impossible. As a case in point, my S2000 has a VERY loud noise on decel. Honda actually wrote a Technical Service Bulletin on it. Apparently, on decel the synchros resonate in the case (and turn the transmission tunnel into a resonance chamber). Honda's fix is a new clutch design with springs in the clutch to damp out the resonance. (It sounds like a band aid to me, but is presumably a much cheaper fix than replacing the defective parts in the transmission). I haven't replaced my clutch yet so I don't know if the fix works.

I still think your noise sounds like turbo whine, but its hard to diagnose over the internet. As others have suggested, downshifting while keeping speed steady may help in the diagnosis.
NOT THE TURBO
Old 12-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #25
99sport

At 3:56 in the video the transmission upshifts and there is NO difference in the noise (so you may not need to take it out again to see what happens when downshifting). I listened to the video with decent speakers, and it does sound more like gear whine than turbo whine, but its something to keep in the back of your mind.
99sport is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99sport For This Useful Post:
pleasurewayfl (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 06:03 AM   #26
sanomechanic

Quote:
At 3:56 in the video the transmission upshifts and there is NO difference in the noise (so you may not need to take it out again to see what happens when downshifting). I listened to the video with decent speakers, and it does sound more like gear whine than turbo whine, but its something to keep in the back of your mind.
So gear range is eliminated. greed. Turbo would make noise any time it spun up under a load. Not only at one road speed. Must be the final drive in the tranny
The Following User Says Thank You to sanomechanic For This Useful Post:
pleasurewayfl (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #27
pleasurewayfl

Quote:
I think the gear shift up at 3:56, and the same noise happened at lower rpm. Thank you so much!
pleasurewayfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #28
pleasurewayfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanomechanic View Post
So gear range is eliminated. greed. Turbo would make noise any time it spun up under a load. Not only at one road speed. Must be the final drive in the tranny
I heard that the drive shaft have several sections. Following is what the dealer did for the drive shaft.

It shows they replaced a propeller shaft (907-410-33-00). Is this a whole drive shaft or some sub section?

Is the tranny final drive condition getting worse over time?

I think it is time to replace the transmission. Thank you so much!

I have one more question. Is it required to do wheel alignment after replacing the rear differential?

Last edited by pleasurewayfl; 12-03-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #29
pleasurewayfl

Quote:

There was engine light on for the first two weeks from a faulty oxy sensor which was replaced later. During that period, the whining noise was still there. I heard that the engine may run in a limp mode without turbo when engine light on. I am going to keep in mind that the turbo can make a similar noise. Thank you so much for your help!

Last edited by pleasurewayfl; 12-03-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #30
sanomechanic

Quote:
I heard that the drive shaft have several sections. Following is what the dealer did for the drive shaft.

It shows they replaced a propeller shaft (907-410-33-00). Is this a whole drive shaft or some sub section?

Is the tranny final drive condition getting worse over time?

I think it is time to replace the transmission. Thank you so much!

I have one more question. Is it required to do wheel alignment after replacing the rear differential?
No alignment needed. Looks like drive shaft was the entire assembly. Usually is these days on all vehicles so proper balancing is insured
The Following User Says Thank You to sanomechanic For This Useful Post:
pleasurewayfl (12-04-2019)