Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 11-30-2019, 06:16 PM   #1
bcolins

Default Driver's door latch drags on the striker, then the door drops about 1/2"

I recently noticed that my driver's door latch drags on the latch pin when I slowly open it, and once the latch is clear of the latch pin,...the door drops about a half inch,....thinking I have a worn out upper hinge, but thought I would inquire here.

Suggestions?

Brian
Old 11-30-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
BrennWagon
Pete

Default Re: Driver's door latch drags on the striker, then the door drops about 1/2"

You might start by making sure that the hinge bolts to the door (top and bottom) are tight and properly adjusted. If they are, open the door about half way and push and pull on the back edge. Does the door wiggle significantly or can you hear a clacking? That would indicate that the hinge is worn but I’d try adjusting things before ordering new hinges
Old 11-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
bcolins

Default Re: Driver's door latch drags on the striker, then the door drops about 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennWagon View Post
You might start by making sure that the hinge bolts to the door (top and bottom) are tight and properly adjusted. If they are, open the door about half way and push and pull on the back edge. Does the door wiggle significantly or can you hear a clacking? That would indicate that the hinge is worn but I’d try adjusting things before ordering new hinges
I did open the door slightly and tried lifting it when I noticed it,.....didn't seem to move much and didn't hear any noise that might indicate slop in the hinge,....surprised me actually that it didn't seem to have slop,...it was just a quick check at a gas station when I noticed it,....so will be having another look at it the next time I drive it.

Brian

Last edited by bcolins; 11-30-2019 at 07:56 PM.
bcolins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,096 Times in 5,906 Posts

Here: is the "how to adjust the slider and rear doors" document: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/D...h%20Hinges.pdf

The front doors are covered in the service manual: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf
(but the slider/rear document gives a good idea of what they're trying for).

One (the slowest) approach is to loosen the latch pin, so it doesn't lift the door.
Then go through the alignment process without having the pin put its thumb on the scales.

Inspect the latch pin, too ... does it show signs of wearing a significant notch in the post due to the lift-the-door effort?
Did the door-edge latch assembly get "nudged" by something?
Is the gap around the door (when closed) nice and even? This is both a width-of-gap and flush-to-surface question.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
BrennWagon (12-01-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #5
bcolins

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
Here: is the "how to adjust the slider and rear doors" document: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/D...h%20Hinges.pdf

The front doors are covered in the service manual: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf
(but the slider/rear document gives a good idea of what they're trying for).

One (the slowest) approach is to loosen the latch pin, so it doesn't lift the door.
Then go through the alignment process without having the pin put its thumb on the scales.

Inspect the latch pin, too ... does it show signs of wearing a significant notch in the post due to the lift-the-door effort?
Did the door-edge latch assembly get "nudged" by something?
Is the gap around the door (when closed) nice and even? This is both a width-of-gap and flush-to-surface question.

--dick
Just seeing this Dick. I adjusted it earlier today. I was surprised to find that the torx bolts fastening the door to the hinges were not at all difficult to loosen. loosened the upper 4 bolts....then lifted on the door and tightend them,....Then loosened the lower 2 torx bolts and again lifted,... the combination of the two got it to the point where It is no longer wearing on the pin,...and it opens and closes more easily and smoothly. I discovered that using a bottle jack to lift the door is NOT a good idea,....I bent the lower edge of the door,....its not structurally very strong.

Brian
BrennWagon (12-03-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N

Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,205 Posts

If there is much vertical play, it’s possible the bushings surrounding your hinge pins need attention.
Dorman makes a hinge pin replacement kit, or Europarts-sd.com shows $47 per complete hinge.
I have a set of the Dorman pins sitting in my parts box. They’re not an exact match but look like they’d fit.
After adjusting my hinges as you did, I found no play and decided the existing pins could stay in service.

If the bushing wears through, the pin will then start damaging the hinge body, so I keep an eye on them...

-dave
Nautamaran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #7
bcolins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautamaran View Post
If there is much vertical play, it’s possible the bushings surrounding your hinge pins need attention.
Dorman makes a hinge pin replacement kit, or Europarts-sd.com shows $47 per complete hinge.
I have a set of the Dorman pins sitting in my parts box. They’re not an exact match but look like they’d fit.
After adjusting my hinges as you did, I found no play and decided the existing pins could stay in service.

If the bushing wears through, the pin will then start damaging the hinge body, so I keep an eye on them...

-dave
Same here Dave. It looked like the hinge was welded to the body,...or is the hinge pin driven out and the hinge split into separate door and body mounted parts,....and the door portion only replaced??

Bummed that I bent the lower edge of my door and cracked my otherwise good paint. I sealed it with super glue, then followed with E6000. Will shoot it with some (nearly) matching paint in a day or two.

Brian
Old 12-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #8
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 8,096 Times in 5,906 Posts

In my experience, the hinge bolts have *not* been easy to crack ... so that may be the original source of the problem.

As a side note, superglue and E6000 are not UV-rated. E6800 is more the "outdoor" glue.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #9
bcolins

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
In my experience, the hinge bolts have *not* been easy to crack ... so that may be the original source of the problem.

As a side note, superglue and E6000 are not UV-rated. E6800 is more the "outdoor" glue.

--dick
I further noted that As I tightened them,....they never seemed to solidly bottom out,....instead they all gave me the feeling that if I over tightened them, that I would strip out the fastener in the door.

Thanks for the thoughts on the adhesives,....didnt know there was an E6800. I do plan on painting over the adhesives with spray paint. ,....just trying to keep water out of the crack in the original paint. Think that will suffice?

Brian