Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
HappyFamilyVan
Captain Ahab

Default Condensation while sleeping

This past week we had our first overnight experience in the Sprinter. All seven of us plus the dog slept in the Sprinter. It was an OK sleep, but for 4 mornings straight, the windows and any exposed inside metal was drenched in condensation, I dried it off and let the Sprinter air out. Any issue with all this condensation on the inside? I left the Sunroof open on the last 2 nights…helped a little…but not a whole lot. Has anyone else experienced this issue and what have you done to prevent? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,863 Posts
Default Re: Condensation while sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFamilyVan View Post
This past week we had our first overnight experience in the Sprinter. All seven of us plus the dog slept in the Sprinter. It was an OK sleep, but for 4 mornings straight, the windows and any exposed inside metal was drenched in condensation, I dried it off and let the Sprinter air out. Any issue with all this condensation on the inside? I left the Sunroof open on the last 2 nights…helped a little…but not a whole lot. Has anyone else experienced this issue and what have you done to prevent? Thanks.
Found that one out when a young lad Insulate with wool and you'll never ever get condensation ever.
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Hit The Road Jack
2006 Roadhouse Sprinter

Quote:
Hey HappyFamilyVan, how bout a Mini Dehumidifier?

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/ADS-500.htm
Old 01-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
NBB

Turn up the heat and open windows until the problem goes away.
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
glasseye

Thanked 1,720 Times in 915 Posts

That's why vapour barriers are so important when insulating. Seven people (and a dog! ) produce a lot of water overnight.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit The Road Jack View Post
Hey HappyFamilyVan, how bout a Mini Dehumidifier?

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/ADS-500.htm
I have purchased one of these peltier dehumidifiers for this purpose but haven't had a chance to use it overnight yet. It seems
to burn a lot of battery power and I haven't had time yet to make a 12v power cord for it, I suspect that the inverter-->wall wall wart -> dehumidifier is the source of the power draw and straight 12v should work much better.
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
kmessinger

Location: East of San Francisco, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.

I have slept in travel trailers, class A's, class C's, Eurovans, and now a Sprinter for years. Condensation buildup is caused by not enough air movement. You will get the same thing cooking in your Sprinter with all the windows closed.

Bundle up in a good sleeping bag and crack open some windows. A roof vent helps a lot also.

AFAIK, that is the only way to avoid condensation. Tent users have the same problem.

Regards,

Keith
Old 01-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
seans

Quote:
I have experienced this, ran some tests, and asked people in the forum. I'm still working on a definitive solution. Here's what I have found so far:
  • I got condensation behind panels, behind curtains, near the van's rear door openings, and even inside the tail light lenses. It dripped from above the side windows when I moved the van.
  • I used a room dehumidifier in a closed van and it did no good. Only a little bit of water collected in the humidifer and much collected in the van - the van's cold surfaces worked much better as a dehumidifier.
  • Some people who have interior Espar heaters reported that when they open their roof vents, they don't get condensation.
  • A test where I idled the van all night with the heater and AC on and the fan on low drawing in outside air resulted in no condensation. It was very cold but the outdoor humidity may have been low.

I think the key is to keep forcing fresh air into the van to push out air that has collected moisture. I am wary about creating moisture barriers because of posts where others have said that a breach or slow absorption can lead to moisture collection. Since there are many places where you can't insulate or place a barrier, I think that moisture elimination is the only way out, and hope it is possible.

My next test (after I install a CO and fire detector) is to run only the heater and the fan on low while idling all night when it is very cold and wet. If no condensation is found, then the next step will be to implement the "heater booster switch" mod found elsewhere in the forum, with changes to support a thermostat and run off a battery bank, so I don't have to keep the engine on. If that works, I'll try putting an Espar in the back. I'm not ready to do that yet, though, since I don't have the final placement of other stuff in the van.

Others with an Espar in the back have reported no condensation if they open their vents. You might want to get a confirmation on that, and see if the Espar is sucking fresh air in from outside. If that's something you're ready to do, it might work for you.

With seven people in your van, you may have to take more drastic measures (more air flow, more heat, etc.)
Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
bikergar

I agree with the previous posts. You need some form of cross ventilation with the exit on or near the roof of the RV. Of course in the winter this means significant heat loss. If you have an RV style roof air and electric available try running the fan on low (the compressor will not run), crack a window, and crack your roof vent.

gary

Keep Doing What You Did, and You'll Keep Getting What You Got...
2008 2500 CRD 144 inch High Roof Crew Van
bikergar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
bladerunner

Thanked 4,723 Times in 3,140 Posts

Only done one road trip so far..........no prob.

Have a openable roof vent approx 300 x 300 square with a wind up flap/lid which I keep open and the driver and passenger door windows are left open 25mm to allow for circulation.

Don't know if that is any help to anybody.................besides our trip was in summer and it maybe a different ballgame in winter.

For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise. Benjamin Franklin

LET THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!:

Science - Here are the facts, now what conclusions can we draw from them?

Religion - Here are the conclusions, now what facts can we find to support them?
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote