Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:30 PM   #61
seabiscuit

Default Re: Coolant Change

I have an early '02 T1N, two models were built in '02. Does anyone know or can tell me where I can find the capacity of my radiator/coolant system?
North America - Maryland - early 2002 Freightliner 2500 Cargo Van; Engine - OM 612, 2.7 litre Diesel, 5 cylinder; 140" length, high roof; rear axle ratio - 3.73; white, windows in side and rear doors, 15 inch tires.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:29 AM   #62
white whale

Finally a bonus left from the previous owner and to O P. First time really good flush. What a great help having the drain tube in permanent, convenient route and holes. I went a bit more and added 5/8 clear flex hose to the end of the hose then onto my field barrel I use for concrete work. I am doing three full flushes with the prestone cleaner in between - for a few days.

I dreaded the drain knob being stuck but was fortunate, easy hand tight and loosen. Thought about removing for inspection but left well enough alone. that is a no look hidden hole. A couple of turns only and removing the fill cap, about a 5 min drain. About 9 lts came out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flush.jpg (50.9 KB, 70 views)
white whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:21 PM   #63
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,760 Times in 8,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by white whale View Post
... I am doing three full flushes with the prestone cleaner in between - for a few days.

Not that you asked...

If the coolant has been changed on schedule, I would not use the cleaner. That is especially true for an extra long soak. Some cleaners have been reported to cause more problems than they avoid.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
DesertAdventures (05-22-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #64
white whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Not that you asked...

If the coolant has been changed on schedule, I would not use the cleaner. That is especially true for an extra long soak. Some cleaners have been reported to cause more problems than they avoid.

vic
If Prestone was in the rad making business I'd have pause to consider. All seems to fine so far.
I'd actually never heard of this stuff before. It did give options for quick 10 min rinse/flush or you could let it slosh around for a few days. Reservoir had a good head of foam on it from first bottle.

I had no engine history on the first 250K so a fresh point for me. dead easy with the permanent drain tube. Good way to find out from my other post on whether the coolant level sensor is hooped is confirmed. Yes.
white whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:42 PM   #65
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,760 Times in 8,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by white whale View Post
... Reservoir had a good head of foam on it from first bottle.

That can be an indication of chemical reaction. My question is whether that foam is a result of corrosion/crud being cleaned, or aluminum or other coolant system parts being corroded/eroded away. Or maybe it's just caused by a surfactant type cleaner. I have no data.

Short soak vs long soak? Don't solicit opinions on the internet. If you chose to use the product my recommendation is to follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:46 PM   #66
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,456 Times in 4,082 Posts

My general approach with an unknown system, is to drain it first. Then with the drain open, direct a stream of a hose nozzle into the radiator. The goal is to dislodge any crud that has built up at the bottom of the radiator. In some cases back flushing this way into the drain for sort period. catch what comes out. If it looks like mud or dirty pond water, a full flush is likely called for. If not, I would just refill and keep on trucking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (05-24-2019), DesertAdventures (09-16-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 08:53 PM   #67
eranrund

Excellent information here, thanks everyone!
I'm still pondering about the coolant color differences. The coolant I have (of unknown origin and history) green. Would draining it (through the radiator red drain thingie) and replacing with distilled water, running a temperature cycle, draining again and filling with G05 50/50 be the best way towards replacing this unknown coolant?
eranrund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #68
DesertAdventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranrund View Post
Excellent information here, thanks everyone!
I'm still pondering about the coolant color differences. The coolant I have (of unknown origin and history) green. Would draining it (through the radiator red drain thingie) and replacing with distilled water, running a temperature cycle, draining again and filling with G05 50/50 be the best way towards replacing this unknown coolant?
Yes but also flush with hose as mentioned. May have to dig a little in this thread a write up w/ pics I posted that may also help you.

*If buying on Amazon please remember to click banner found on most pages or CLICK HERE it supports the Sprinter-Forum

Download Sprinter Manuals 02-06 T1N, 901, 903 *Thanks to Jens Moller & Arnie_Oli T1N Service Scans PDF
DesertAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #69
eranrund

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertAdventures View Post
Yes but also flush with hose as mentioned. May have to dig a little in this thread a write up w/ pics I posted that may also help you.
What if I don't trust the local water to be mineral-free enough? Is that an issue?
eranrund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:14 PM   #70
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,456 Times in 4,082 Posts

Only true hard water is a concern, water thats nasty to drink. If you are just rinsing, it doesn't matter anyways. The vast majority of tap water in the USA is less than 500ppm, so the impact on the coolant life is insignificant.