Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:51 PM   #11
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,770 Times in 8,747 Posts
Default Re: 2006 sprinter catalytic converter falling off on road trip... help??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Tour View Post
A YEAR?

Hopefully it didn't go through the windshield of another motorist.

It is never a good idea to operate a vehicle on public roads shared with other innocent motorists, with large metal objects barely attached to your vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
That my friends is a good candidate for a publication in the Aj Times of Jalalabad !
Oh hamdu leh lah!--God in heavens be praised. Ali the editor love that one.
Would get everyone's interest before Friday morning prayers at the Grand Mosque.
Mahmoud va Ghazvin the assassin is alive and well in the USA!
Chai ziadeh Mullah?
Dennis
Criticize my methods and have your fun.

The way that I repair my exhaust systems parts don't fall off. I remove them when I want to repair/replace components.

In fact, it is the OEM design with the cantilevered and poorly supported systems which will break loose and go skittering off the vehicle after the pipe connections rot away.

I recommend installing additional sling supports for when, not if, the OEM system fails. Without additional support you are likely to lose that expensive pair of catalytic converters which otherwise could be saved and used for many more years. Reuse/recycle.

I provide suggestions for T1N Sprinter repairs. Do with them what you will.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Carminooch615 (08-25-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #12
glasseye

Thanked 1,662 Times in 889 Posts
Default Re: 2006 sprinter catalytic converter falling off on road trip... help??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post

The way that I repair my exhaust systems parts don't fall off.
I recommend installing additional sling supports for when, not if, the OEM system fails. Reuse/recycle.
That's sound advice. Especially for those of us who venture far from home.
SFP_20130321_6299.jpg

I'm gonna crawl under there right now, check out my exhaust system and get prepared.

FWIW, inside my emergency on-the-road kit is a roll of soft iron wire. Saved my ass several times.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glasseye For This Useful Post:
Nautamaran (08-20-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
The Grand Tour
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
Vic, I don't believe that Dennis or I are being critical of your temporary emergency repair methods.

But for another member to drive around on a temporary emergency repair for a year until his exhaust system falls off again, would be like driving around on a space-saver spare tire until it blows out again instead of getting a proper tire/repair on.
The Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
lindenengineering

Thanked 10,223 Times in 5,210 Posts

No!
Its OK as a temporary repair BUT leaving exhaust systems in a precarious state of decline can have serious consequences especially if it falls off when under way.

In many cases you have the pogo stick effect as you drive over it and something really gets damaged during the punting/crunching action.

In the midst of time long past I remember a Euro cab 6x4 truck (now we are talking about a big rig 18 wheeler 45 Tonnes gross loaded with medical supplies, bound for the Gulf ) having driven over the exhaust system between Idirne and Istanbul. The trucker having limped it all the way along the Marmara coastal road to the Londra Mocamps on the edge of the city.

Doing factory truck support service as an entry level bloke my patch was Leibniz to Tabriz.

Having hooked up with the local tech rep called Ike (Adjar Bei) we found the truck in the vast truckers parking lot. Here you would find all nationalities, Russians, Bulgars, Romans, other eastern Euros like Polish, Czechoslovaks! Then the Euro "slick" like Germans, French, Italians & Swiss , all dressed in designer company racing overalls and then the "rag bag" Brits, Spaniards and the "Pork n Cheezers"! All looking like they needed a shower and some sleep. In the canteen shed built like an aircraft hanger you could buy cooked food & drinks sit at tables & benches with your own trucker nationalities and talk trucks.
Ladies of the night (cab warmers) would be perched like roosters at the bar with a few Fatimas who would do a belly dancing T.n. A routine for a few Lirasi, stuffed in their belts !
More cash more voluptuous the wobble !

Outside the array of makes reflected the trucker inside, Zils, Hungar Camion MAN's to Mercedes with sleeper cabs & Brits with hard pressed UK day cab brands all sleeping on a piece of plywood stretch across the cab at night hoping to make a crust on a shoe string, and buy something FIT for 3000 trips across the desert to Dammam or over the Albortz mountains to Tehran...

This truck was no exception !
Being UK truck spec, the exhaust was under slung mounted transverse under the radiator X member with a its tail pipe exiting just in the front of the drivers side front wheel.
It fell off after he had clipped it in the Bulgar customs, it then fell apparent crossing into Turkey ripping off the complete "zorst system", the turbo, the shattered manifolding and the fixing studs all ripped out of the cylinder heads.
Ike found me a welder in the back streets of Istanbul who welded the cast iron manifolding back together overnight (it looked like a harlequin suit ) and a crew of Turks altered the exhaust system in the snow flurries to a stack that went up behind the cab. All propah like!

Then was off like the rest all, east into Iran or south into the sun crossing into Syria .Jordan, and the Kalige (Gulf.)

Just time for a Christian benediction Irish Catlick style Spectacle Testicles Wallet n Watch.
You'll need it! Because from now on its Ohhamduleylah (God in heavens praised)

Moral if there is one!!--Is don't neglect or botch up your exhaust system if you want it to last or the engine to run right .Remember these days its a vital part of the engine controls & infrastructure.
Dennis
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lindenengineering For This Useful Post:
billintomahawk (08-19-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #15
BrennWagon
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Tour View Post
A YEAR?

Hopefully it didn't go through the windshield of another motorist.

It is never a good idea to operate a vehicle on public roads shared with other innocent motorists, with large metal objects barely attached to your vehicle.
Yes, the joint disconnected after about a year and it was a fantastic failure. The exhaust came separated at the same place when I went through a significant puddle and the mounts slid off. This was at about 20MPH and the cat was dragging on the ground, no parts flying off , just dragging. I pulled over and extricated from the cat back, threw the assembly in the back of the van, and unhappily drove a mile and a half home.

Flooding is a common problem in Philadelphia and the drag of pulling the muffler through the water was most likely why it slid out. I had attached straps to hold the muffler and cat up and in place. That’s why I used flanges and threaded rod to clamp the entire assembly together to prevent a second occurrence.

Perhaps if you owned a Sprinter, you’d have understood what was meant by my original statement without needing a long winded explanation.

Happy motoring everyone

Last edited by BrennWagon; 08-18-2019 at 02:48 PM.
BrennWagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #16
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,770 Times in 8,747 Posts

Keeping OEM components is no guarantee. An OEM exhaust system can fail just as a DIY repaired system can fail. Routine inspection and maintenance can help to avoid issues, but even that is no guarantee.

I try to live my life in a realistic practical world.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
BrennWagon (08-18-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #17
BrennWagon
Pete

I agree that the OEM exhaust is poorly designed. If they had attached a hanger to the muffler or between the cats and the muffler then thereís a fair chance that these exhausts would last the life of the vehicle.

Vic, as I said, your fix served me well until underside drag came into play.

For people who run their T1Nís on rough roads, Iíd recommend bracing the joint front to back. Iíve driven through the same flooded out portion of road in the same conditions that pulled the exhaust off before a number of times since my latest fix and everything is still solid.

There are roads in Philadelphia that manufactures should use for torture testing their vehicles, way tougher than the paved and gravel country roads that I grew up with.
BrennWagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #18
lindenengineering

If you think the T1N is bad take a look at the 906 series.
The only thing that really holds it in is the the clamp at the SCR cat.(bazooka tube)

That is why exhaust system should be checked at service intervals.
If you have a Bluetech "zorst" let go its a $3000 fix.
Dennis

Last edited by lindenengineering; 08-18-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:36 AM   #19
billintomahawk
'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner

Just ran 50 miles of two track in the UP east of Marquette from the mouth of the Huron to Marquette in a nasty rain.
Headed east along Lake Superior. There will be gravel.

No CAT?

I'd really like to know what's inside that cylinder?

bill
Transporter 1 Neu 154HP
2500 140"WB, low top
Tank, the repurposed van
https://www.sprinter-source.com/foru...ad.php?t=76877

Last edited by billintomahawk; 08-19-2019 at 02:40 AM.
billintomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:30 AM   #20
lindenengineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by billintomahawk View Post
Just ran 50 miles of two track in the UP east of Marquette from the mouth of the Huron to Marquette in a nasty rain.
Headed east along Lake Superior. There will be gravel.

No CAT?

bill

bill
Oh simple pieces of eight!
You will "ate" the rust finding out!
Dennis